[#192][5.10][BUG][UI] Information panel on the right won't work for some stations sometimes

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

thijso

[#192][5.10][BUG][UI] Information panel on the right won't work for some stations sometimes

Post by thijso » Wed, 20. Apr 22, 12:13

Very annoying UI bug where switching between stations the right info panel for some stations just doesn't work. It doesn't switch, and clicking on the buttons to switch the view (crew, behavior, etc) does nothing. Sometimes toggling map on and off works, but just now I had to restart the whole game to see one of my stations info pages...

Well, actually no. My one station is just broken. Restart did not help. I am unable to see the information pages for that one station. Very annoying! :evil:

bignick217
x4

Re: [5.10][BUG][UI] Information panel on the right won't work for some stations sometimes

Post by bignick217 » Wed, 20. Apr 22, 12:37

Yeah, the map UI is very buggy right now. So far I've observed that if I try to take money out of station, sometimes it just hangs completely with the side bar icons moving out of place, hangs for about 15 - 20 seconds, then kicks you out.

A worse issue I've observed, is if you set a ship (such as freighter) to transfer wares from a shipyard (so you've essentially reserved it) and then an AI buys a ship taking those wares to build a ship. It creates a "negative" ware scenario the game can't reconcile until the "transfer" is completed. You end up seeing this issue by if you click on that station, go to information, then try to expand the station "wares" list, the map UI just completely bugs out and won't let you do anything useful until you close the map and re-open it. But until that trade or "transfer" is reconciled, either by stock trade, production or cancelling the order, then you will not be able to see your station wares stock levels through the map. The only way to view it, is to select the station on a fresh map load and go directly into logical overview for the station. Only there can you see the stock level. The only other way to fix it, is to find the ship that's either docked and "held up" at the station waiting to complete the transfer or enroute to the station and cancel it's orders. That one in particular, took me hours to figure what was causing the map to bug out.

P.S. The second scenario I described, can also cause the exact same issue the OP described. Where as soon as you try to view the wares, the information panel becomes unusable. And if you click on another station "after" trying to access the wares list of the bugged station, the information panels (info, loadout, behaviors etc) will literally refuse to open for other stations and ships until you close and reopen the map.
Last edited by bignick217 on Wed, 20. Apr 22, 14:09, edited 5 times in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [5.10][BUG][UI] Information panel on the right won't work for some stations sometimes

Post by CBJ » Wed, 20. Apr 22, 13:04

Due to a forum glitch, a post by the OP got deleted here in error. Please re-post if you can, preferably with as much info as possible to enable the problem to be reproduced!

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Sun, 24. Apr 22, 19:12

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 20. Apr 22, 13:04
Due to a forum glitch, a post by the OP got deleted here in error. Please re-post if you can, preferably with as much info as possible to enable the problem to be reproduced!
Happens to me when i'm on the map and just selecting different stations. I had half a day without that issue and now i have it after i select 2-3 different stations. As op said, sometimes it helps to close/reopen the map but not every time. It also isnt limited to the right info panel. The left information panel is also affected. Interestingly enough, the other panels like filter and map legend do still work properly. Seems to be limited to the info panel.

Edit: I seem to be able to always reproduce it when selecting a khaak station. After you selected the Khaak station, the info panel is bugged when selecting other things on the map.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Fri, 15. Jul 22, 16:20

So when can we expect to have this fixed?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 15. Jul 22, 19:18

Probably when somebody provides the devs with a link to a vanilla save that can reliably and quickly replicate the reported issue. That is also a reason why we discourage 'When will this be fixed?' posts in the Tech Sp forum rules. :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Xkuka
x4

Post by Xkuka » Mon, 29. Aug 22, 18:42

I am experiencing this bug too. I cannot provide an unmodified safe unfortunately, due to the complexity necessary in a safe to reproduce this, but maybe some information.

In my case it occures mostly on watching info panels on bigger factory comlexes, the biggest one i have in particular. Saving and Relading the game fixes it, but it might happpen again straigh away if you just continue what you have done before. For the other UI panels to work again it is enough to click on some other object or disable the right hand Info panel and close the map view. Open the map again and interaction with other objects is possible again, but clicking on the object that caused the panel to freeze will freeze it again.
More effective seems to be leave it alone for a few minutes, it seems to fix itself if you stay away from the map view on the object where the bug came up.

My unqualified assumption is it is not necessarily an UI bug. The data on a factory is updating in real time, it might be that for a reason this data cant be provided to the UI in that moment and so the Info panel will bug out. That would also explain why it migh fix itself if you leave it alone for a while or reload the game.
My factory where it happens mostly has almost 400 modules of which 160 are production modules and around 70 mining ships plus external traffic. The factory has one satelite factory complext, which is only serving as an extension and all warez to and from this satelite go only through its parent station. And the main complex is almost exclusively serving to the ship yard complex in another sector.

Satelite Factory <-> Main Production Complex + mining -> Ship Yard -> Surplus Trading Station

Now the really interesting stuff.
One observation i made is, if one or more CPU threads is at its capacity the bug is much more likely to happen. See the screenshot below, this is not a weak CPU and it provides around 4.8 Ghz per thread. One or two threads are often at 100%, the time i made that screenshot i was in a very calm place so the general load is lower, but if i am in a busy sector two threads will be under high load and it is very likely that the Info panel will freeze if i click on a large production complex.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h-aX34 ... sp=sharing

It is almost obvious to me that the complexity of a factory in relation to the CPU of the PC the game is running on is the culprit here. So i would conclude if someone wanted to reproduce this it would be easier with a realively low single core capacity. It is not necessary to have a low number of cores since the SMT logic of the game engine cannot distribute the tasks evenly to all threads.
And that is also why i am reluctant even trying to reproduce this in a vanilla save, i do not like to play this game vanilla, and it would take many hours only to build some sort of equivalent and then it is not certain if it will serve reproducing the issue...
***Never not modified***
Specs: I9 9900k, 32GB DDR4, ASUS RTX2060 12GB, Sys drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Games drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Win10 pro 21H2

Agentmass
x4

Post by Agentmass » Tue, 6. Sep 22, 19:25

Here is an un-modded save file where I experience the same bug:
https://mega.nz/file/2phAiAbQ#uCDTSEaql ... G5eJLf2x00

The bug is easily reproducible in my save my opening the information panel for my "Mega Complex" station and then expanding the "Storage (21 Wares)" dialogue.

There may be other interactions which can cause the information panel to break, however this interaction is reproducible.

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Wed, 7. Sep 22, 05:12

Same bug here and the problem is caused by the mega HQ.
As Agentmass happens, it is necessary to visualize the storage of the station and in a rather random way you get the breaking of the UI. It is not difficult to reproduce. Use some SETA to high change.
To work around the bug I usually go back to first person view and view the map again. Sometimes the bug is fixed, sometimes it remains and I have to do the operation several times until it returns to normal.

Savegame here

GreetingsSs!

<Post edited to remove reference to an issue now in its own thread. Alan Phipps>
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Wed, 7. Sep 22, 18:32

I have new information for this bug. It happened a while ago and so I was able to make a video.
This time it manifested itself by viewing the information of the station (WIG-689)

VIDEO

In addition to showing the problem of the break, perhaps I was able to capture the true nature of the bug.
Trying to click the legend and filter buttons, you can see around the 25 second, that the frozen screen overwrites the background screens.
So it looks like it's caused by a bad screen shutdown call.

Don't consider the drop in framerates you notice over time. In game it doesn't happen it's just a recording problem caused by my ugly GPU.

I hope you find it useful.
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Xkuka
x4

Post by Xkuka » Sat, 10. Sep 22, 21:28

Made a new observation about this bug. In my previous post i described it related to my large complex. In my new game i have split everything up to smaller stations, and so i have a separate station for refined stuff, which is the only station that employs mining ships. And guess what, its the only station where this bug occurs.
But i still cant help with a safegame because ***modified***

But heres a suggestion, if there is someone with a vanilla safe, a huge complex where this bug happens, try building a separate mining hub, and dont use any mining ship on the big complex, but transport all the mined recoureses to the complex. I would not be surprised if this bug would then be happen to the mining hub, where it is at least much less of an annoyance.
And a tip, if you dont want to use mining ships for transporting solid and liquid, the Yaki Susanova freighter has universal storage and can be used for that. Also as a measure to prevent miners interacting with the other stations, in case that has something to do with the bug.
***Never not modified***
Specs: I9 9900k, 32GB DDR4, ASUS RTX2060 12GB, Sys drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Games drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Win10 pro 21H2

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Sun, 11. Sep 22, 02:46

The station (WIG-689) mentioned earlier in the video, which generated the menu bug, is just as you described it.
In previous saves it was only a container-type station, while in the last save released, I added solid modules to abide it as a mine, adding mining ships for extraction.
At the same time I have added miners as traders to the mega HQ who are now buying minerals from that station.

Now that you point it out to me, after having tested the save again in an attempt to reproduce the bug, I noticed that the mega HQ no longer created the break, or rather, in the half hour that I tested it no longer happened, while before in the same amount of time, it would manifest. Now the bug has been created by the converted station to mine. What I am sure of is that before converting it, the bug was manifested only and exclusively with the mega HQ.

I believe that what you have discovered seems to have a logical connection with the appearance of the bug.

My save is completely vanilla, so it can be used as a test.

In summary:

- As long as the only mining station was HQ, the bug was created by it.
- By the time the spaceport also became a mine and I associated miners on it, the HQ seems to have stopped creating the bug, while it was created by the mine station.

If the devs think there may be a connection, here's a saves before and after the trading post was converted to a mine. Refers to approximately 2 actual previous days.

Save BEFORE converted mine

Save AFTER converted mine
HW Spec:
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”