Steam Cloud and Save game sync

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mindscout

Steam Cloud and Save game sync

Post by mindscout » Sun, 8. May 22, 11:16

Hello everyone,

I have some issues with the steham cloud and synchronization of savegames with X4.
I want to play X4 on PC and on Steam Deck, but I have different savegames for both, like there were two different games.
Both devices say, cloud sync were succesfull, but I cannot play savey from Steam Deck on PC and saves from PC on Steam Deck.

So I copied the Saves from PC to USB-Stick and copied this files on my Steam Deck, overwriting the existing files there.
But after starting X4 on Steam Deck, I only had the original save games, which were overwritten by the USB-files.

So maybe there is an issue with cloud synchronization between Linux and Windows, were the game makes two different sets of Savegames, one for each platform?

How can I solve this, were are the "right" savegames located on each platform and are they compatible?
Is it possible to fix this issue?

-----
I play X4 with Split and Terran DLC in its up-to-date-Version. I do not use any mods or scripts.
The issue occurs with adventure start or even in tutorial (nothing else testet).
I testet deactivation and reactivation of cloud sync, without success.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Steam Cloud and Save game sync

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 8. May 22, 11:27

It sounds as though you need different Steam Accounts for the two different platforms. The saves etc are stored in a path that includes the unique Steam Account ID.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mindscout

Post by mindscout » Sun, 8. May 22, 13:31

No, its the same account. I only have that one and I only have one Version of X4.

Does anyone use the same scenarion (PC + Steam Deck) with successfully save save sync?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 8. May 22, 15:47

mindscout wrote:
Sun, 8. May 22, 11:16
So maybe there is an issue with cloud synchronization between Linux and Windows, were the game makes two different sets of Savegames, one for each platform?
There is indeed such an issue, and it relates to the fact that Linux filenames are case-sensitive, while Windows are not. At some point in the distant past, the folder name under Linux was given a name that differed from the Windows name only by the case of one letter. Unfortunately the Steam cloud sync doesn't handle this situation as we'd want it to, and now we're in the position that we cannot change folder name without inconveniencing a large number of players by losing their cloud synced files. As a result, the rather smaller number of people who want to sync between the two platforms will have to work around this limitation.

mindscout

Post by mindscout » Sun, 8. May 22, 21:22

Ok thanks for the information, these are bad news.

Are there any plans to solve this issue in the future, f.e. by asking users in the menu about this correction, so that we can save our files local abd restore our savegames after the changes back to a working system?

mindscout

Post by mindscout » Mon, 9. May 22, 14:49

Ich muss nochmal kurz einhaken. Bin dabei eine eigene Übergangslösung zu finden, aber ich finde nicht mal die Savegames auf dem Steamdeck.

Heißen die Dateien dort auch anders? Unter welchem Pfad kann ich die Savegames finden, damit ich sie manuell synchronisiseren kann?

Danke und viele Grüße

PS: X4 läuft super auf dem Steamdeck, abgesehen vom sync-Problem. :)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 9. May 22, 15:17

mindscout wrote:
Mon, 9. May 22, 14:49
aber ich finde nicht mal die Savegames auf dem Steamdeck.
dev that knows this stuff wrote:~/.config/EgoSoft
(.config ist ein hidden folder)
Hoffe das hilft.

MFG

Ketraar

mindscout

Post by mindscout » Tue, 10. May 22, 12:20

Ja, vielen Dank! Nun kann ich zumindest mit USB die Spielstände austauschen.

Getestet, funktioniert!

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Thu, 16. Jun 22, 01:56

Hello friends

I was hit with a strange steam cloud issue.

A few days ago I resumed my last game, removing all the saves used for various tests from the save folder and re-downloading the cloud saves from steam.
So far, so good...

I played the game for a couple of days, generating new saves until overwriting all but the last one.
At the end of each session, the saves have always been correctly reloaded on cloud steam.
After that I continued for another day generating other saves until tonight's session.

I start X4, I go to the load game section and I notice that part of these new saves are missing except the last one updated at 1:20 AM on day 15.
There are only two other new saves besides this among those generated during these days, the rest are gone lost :(

It seems that the cloud has automatically resumed the saves of about 10 hours before without my having changed any options on steam
and yet I paid particular attention to the completion of the uploads after the various sessions, especially when I had generated several saves.

The only peculiarity to point out is that in the "old cloud" there was a save renamed to "____ autosave_03.xml.gz" and tonight I found it among the last saves downloaded
bat that should no longer have been present for several sessions before.

What exactly happened in your opinion? :?
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Jar B
x4

Post by Jar B » Sat, 4. Mar 23, 18:45

CBJ wrote:
Sun, 8. May 22, 15:47
mindscout wrote:
Sun, 8. May 22, 11:16
There is indeed such an issue, and it relates to the fact that Linux filenames are case-sensitive, while Windows are not. At some point in the distant past, the folder name under Linux was given a name that differed from the Windows name only by the case of one letter. Unfortunately the Steam cloud sync doesn't handle this situation as we'd want it to, and now we're in the position that we cannot change folder name without inconveniencing a large number of players by losing their cloud synced files. As a result, the rather smaller number of people who want to sync between the two platforms will have to work around this limitation.
So what's your suggestion how we can bypass the issue? Would a symlink do the trick?
Imperial Good wrote:
Sat, 13. Aug 22, 19:42
If that is the case the solution on linux might be a symbolic link with the windows folder names. This would hopefully let steam cloud sync view the correct folder.
What name should the link have? I don't know anything about Steam's Cloud sync to answer this question myself.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 5. Mar 23, 01:55

Jar B wrote:
Sat, 4. Mar 23, 18:45
What name should the link have? I don't know anything about Steam's Cloud sync to answer this question myself.
On Windows, the path to the save game folder is ...

Code: Select all

\Documents\Egosoft\X4\{Steam ID}\save
Windows is case insensitive when processing this, but Linux might not be.

I cannot provide more help beyond that as I have not personally used the Linux version of X4.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”