version 5.10 FPS drop - Caused by third party mod.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

iniochos
x4

version 5.10 FPS drop - Caused by third party mod.

Post by iniochos » Thu, 12. May 22, 15:55

Since update 5.10, I have had a significant fps drop.
Before the update, the average fps was from 28 to 30.
Now it is 15.3 fps (average).
Do you have any information on such fps drops?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: version 5.10 FPS drop

Post by CBJ » Thu, 12. May 22, 17:40

There were no changes in 5.10 that should cause a significant drop in framerate, so something else must have changed. You will need to provide more information, as requested at the top of the forum, for anyone to be able to offer any more advice than that. A savegame would be particularly useful in this case, unless your game is modified, in which case a mod compatibility issue with the 5.10 update could be a possible cause. In that situation, you'd have to contact the author(s) of any mods you are using.

iniochos
x4

Re: version 5.10 FPS drop

Post by iniochos » Thu, 12. May 22, 18:42

Thanks, CBJ for your advice.
As long as nothing has changed as you have mentioned, then the fault is on the mods I use.
Although they have already been upgraded to be up to the current version of the game (unfortunately not all).

That's a tough task to go around every single one

Thanks again :thumb_up:

ps
Finally, it is better, for the existing problem, to be part of mods than of the game itself. :)

Polofix

Re: version 5.10 FPS drop - Caused by third party mod.

Post by Polofix » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 11:10

Hi, in the meantime could you find out which mod caused this heavy FPS drop?

I also have such a problem, but it occurs even without mods:

viewtopic.php?f=180&t=448835&p=5136850#p5136850

However, I have noticed that in addition to this FPS drop, the mods VRO together with XR Ship Pack also cause an FPS drop for me.

iniochos
x4

Post by iniochos » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 14:38

Reading the topic you have created, all the replies stated the obvious.
New dlc means a bigger universe, which, in turn, has a lot of new elements and contents and so on. As perceived this means reduced real-time processing capability.

Regarding what you are asking about mods, I did not find a difference.
What I think could be happening is that I am using an advanced satellite with a larger radius revealing a larger space which shows... a huge amount of " new elements and contents and so on.".
What happens is that the computer suffers in its attempt to perform in an instant.

PS
I use the same mods as VRO and any other mod related to it.
just to say that the game stops for a few seconds as if it is trying to process elements and immediately takes me to where I should be. This is not good at all while dogfighting.

Polofix

Post by Polofix » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 15:33

iniochos wrote:
Tue, 2. Aug 22, 14:38
Reading the topic you have created, all the replies stated the obvious.
New dlc means a bigger universe, which, in turn, has a lot of new elements and contents and so on. As perceived this means reduced real-time processing capability.
Only that I have the new DLCs turned off and still have the FPS drops of 10-15 FPS.
It sounded like a similar problem. I guess it is a bit more complicated than that.
I thought you might have found out that this or that mod causes bigger FPS drops.
I guess it has something to do with CPU optimization and the demands on the system have increased with the update, as noted in the thread.
iniochos wrote:
Tue, 2. Aug 22, 14:38
Regarding what you are asking about mods, I did not find a difference.
What I think could be happening is that I am using an advanced satellite with a larger radius revealing a larger space which shows... a huge amount of " new elements and contents and so on.".
What happens is that the computer suffers in its attempt to perform in an instant.

PS
I use the same mods as VRO and any other mod related to it.
just to say that the game stops for a few seconds as if it is trying to process elements and immediately takes me to where I should be. This is not good at all while dogfighting.
In addition, even with a restart, the universe looks slightly different each time. This makes accurate comparisons difficult. I wish we had an X4 demo like we had with X3. Then you would always have an accurate reference.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 2. Aug 22, 15:46

Polofix wrote:
Tue, 2. Aug 22, 15:33
In addition, even with a restart, the universe looks slightly different each time. This makes accurate comparisons difficult. I wish we had an X4 demo like we had with X3. Then you would always have an accurate reference.
The demo was never really an accurate reference. It was only useful for measuring the performance of your graphics subsystem; there was no simulation behind it to compare overall system performance, which is normally the limiting factor with X games. That's one of the reasons why the rolling demo wasn't added in later games.

Note that you can get a slightly better reference point in X4 by using a seed value. This eliminates the bigger universe differences, by ensuring that NPC stations appear in the same places and with the same modules, for example. Just add a seed command line parameter to the game, and give it any value you like (it accepts a numerical seed, but also works with a word or other character sequence).

Polofix

Post by Polofix » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 08:49

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 2. Aug 22, 15:46
The demo was never really an accurate reference. It was only useful for measuring the performance of your graphics subsystem; there was no simulation behind it to compare overall system performance, which is normally the limiting factor with X games. That's one of the reasons why the rolling demo wasn't added in later games.
Thank you for pointing this out.
CBJ wrote:
Note that you can get a slightly better reference point in X4 by using a seed value. This eliminates the bigger universe differences, by ensuring that NPC stations appear in the same places and with the same modules, for example. Just add a seed command line parameter to the game, and give it any value you like (it accepts a numerical seed, but also works with a word or other character sequence).
Ah, ok.
I did not know about the seed value. I have never used a Custom Start before.

Then it is best to save a new game directly after starting it, because the seed value is saved in the save and thus the same universe is always created.
And then to always use this save for tests, instead of always starting a new game for every test. That makes sense.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 09:49

You don't need to use a custom start to set a seed value. You can do it for a normal gamestart too, by setting it as a command line parameter.

You also don't need to save right away. The seed ensures that the generated universe is substantially the same. Note that the seed only affects what happens during the initialisation; after that, things will start to diverge depending on what you and the NPC factions do, so it's best to measure any timings fairly soon (though not too soon, as the universe initialisation process can take a couple of minutes).

The savegame method is another alternative. Loading the same save on different PCs or system configurations will give you a reasonably reliable reference point, though as always there are numerous factors that can throw this out, and you may need to take several measurements to get a sensible answer.

Polofix

Post by Polofix » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 13:58

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 3. Aug 22, 09:49
You don't need to use a custom start to set a seed value. You can do it for a normal gamestart too, by setting it as a command line parameter.
ok, thanks. Could you now kindly tell me which command line parameter I have to set?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 3. Aug 22, 14:21

CBJ wrote:
Just add a seed command line parameter to the game...
I did. I meant this literally. The parameter is "seed" followed by your seed value. :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”