FYI: nVidia 472.12 seems to be last stable driver (legacy systems)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

user1679

FYI: nVidia 472.12 seems to be last stable driver (legacy systems)

Post by user1679 » Sun, 22. May 22, 08:57

I posted in a thread that was a few months old that after the 5.10 patch I began experiencing GPU driver crashes, leading to BSOD. This is my follow-up post since that thread is old and
people may not find it based on the title alone.

My original post (with specs): viewtopic.php?p=5129749&sid=f2adf08ced1 ... 1#p5129742

After trying several drivers, I found that the 472.12 is the most stable. I was able to play for over an hour without a single GPU driver crash. I even tried to
stress the GPU by putting the graphics options on the "2 fps" setting :) . I also added mods such as STARS which include high resolution star/planets and
still no crash. I even added mods that add a ton of ships and increased the station traffic to maximum (hoping to add more LOD stress but only caused CPU
strain instead).

According to MSI Afterburner, my GPU temp was around 58C and dipped periodically to 52C (my ambient temp is around 24C and one of my case fans is making
noise so it's probably not running at full RPM).

So for people using GeForce on Windows 7, the last stable driver from nVidia looks like 472.12. They no longer support Win 7 and the two drivers they
released for legacy systems only include "security updates" which seem to be "stability downgrades".

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: FYI: nVidia 472.12 seems to be last stable driver (legacy systems)

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 23. May 22, 12:06

Ironically this is the driver version I am currently using on Windows 10 for my GTX 760.

However unfortunately I cannot recommend this to people. Looking at news recently these old drivers have somewhat major security exploits in them which was why Nvidia even released an update for the GTX 760 just to address that, despite having dropped support for it many months ago. As such I can only recommend people install the latest supported driver within the next month or so, otherwise their system may be at risk.

user1679

Re: FYI: nVidia 472.12 seems to be last stable driver (legacy systems)

Post by user1679 » Tue, 24. May 22, 04:17

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 23. May 22, 12:06
Ironically this is the driver version I am currently using on Windows 10 for my GTX 760.

However unfortunately I cannot recommend this to people. Looking at news recently these old drivers have somewhat major security exploits in them which was why Nvidia even released an update for the GTX 760 just to address that, despite having dropped support for it many months ago. As such I can only recommend people install the latest supported driver within the next month or so, otherwise their system may be at risk.
It is unfortunate but this is good adivce. Hopefully Nvidia will get feedback about the instability and patch that despite being out of support.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”