[5.10 HF3] BUG: Capital ship attack range issue against enemy stations - Thread to upload saves for devs

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Caedes91
x4

[5.10 HF3] BUG: Capital ship attack range issue against enemy stations - Thread to upload saves for devs

Post by Caedes91 » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 00:46

Unmodified
Terran Cadet Start

Description of the problem:

According to the official forums, steam and reddit, many players - myself included - still experience a problem regarding capital ships flying too close to stations when ordered to attack them. This seems to occur randomly, whether you use the normal attack order for single ships or the coordinated attack order for fleets. Pilot skill level seems to have no influence on this behaviour. Despite having weapons and/or turrets with longer reach, they often disengage travel drive too late or fly in normal speed too close into a station's turret range (Xenon Graviton turrets) and therefore get destroyed.

Although this was supposed to be fixed with one of the 5.x updates, many players still encounter and have reported this issue.
A thread on the X4 steam forum luckily garnered the attention of developer Gimbutz who asked me/us to create a topic on the official forums for better support. Steam is good for player discussion, but devs have better control on official forums according to them.

Original steam thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/d ... 1658869293

Original quote of Gimbutz there:
Thanks for the quick response, and for having the foresight to start a new game without mods. That'll make it much easier for the relevant dev.

Could you link this save game in a new topic in the official Technical Support forum on the Egosoft website? The steam forums are great for quick discussions between players, but we don't have much control over them. For a bug report, we have to use the official channels, so that the issue can be properly sorted with all the other incoming reports, and so that there's a dedicated place for further inquiries and feedback once someone has had time to look into it.
and
I can see where you're coming from. It may seem as if all comments that ships are flying into stations during fights refer to the same situation, and the same bug. However, as is often the case, there are actually multiple possible reasons for this happening, and the specific circumstances in your - apparently quite advanced - save game influence it immensely.

I you want to help us iron out every last one of the bugs in the background that make ships behave like this, it would be great if you could upload a save where this is reliably just about to happen to any reputable file hosting service like Dropbox or Google Drive and link it in a new topic in the official Technical Support forum on the Egosoft website.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the responsible developers looking into and potentially solve this problem, all players who have this issue are asked to upload an unmodified save and where this behaviour can be easily reproduced. The more saves, therefore more and diverse circumstances for the devs to investigate, the better. Please refrain from arguing, whether this behaviour is the AI's or the players fault in the first place to stay on topic and keep this thread tidy for the devs to read

So I implore you to use this thread and upload as many saves as we can to investigate the cause of this issue!! Please use only reputable upload sites like Google Drive or dropbox, don't forget to make your file visible and post the download link here.
Please add instructions in your post too. Since savegames can get obscenely large in filesize, I recommend to archive them (Winrar or as zip) before uploading them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will start with my save:

Here are two saves, inside a rar-archive to reduce download size. WARNING! Lots going on, might be quite laggy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ux3FyB ... sp=sharing

Quicksave is before attacking the station (approach) and save 10 is when they are already inside station range, Sector is Savage Spur II against Xenon defence platforms (least Xenon ships, that might interfere)
One fleet with "coordinate attack", aggression set to 20. The other are simply four single ships with normal attack order.
If you need more stations to bust, there are several more Xenon stations in the split sectors. Did not upload save until now, because I waited for the Xenon to expand into friendly space. Otherwise setting this up in hostile territory was interrupted too often.

I reloaded the quicksave several times, the bug occured about half the time. I think, it has to do with the distance for when the attack order is given. The farther away the ships are initally and therefore the longer they are in travel drive until arrival, the more the risk, they overshoot into station weapon range.
In my past experience, this happens a lot more with Xenon Solar stations, XEN wharves and Shipyards.
It always works, when I manually eyeball the "safe" distance in map and then put in attack order.

TwoThe
x4

Re: [5.10 HF3] BUG: Capital ship attack range issue against enemy stations - Thread to upload saves for devs

Post by TwoThe » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 15:42

I don't have faith in the developers to fix the AI by any means. It has been broken since the beginning and has barely gotten any better. I don't now if they can't, if they don't want to, or if the even think everything is just fine, however don't expect any AI improvements anytime soon.

I recommend this mod to fix some of the worst AI issues: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/839

With that large ships will try to stay at range, get closer if they can, and back off if they have to. Also ships generally try to stay out of deadly enemy control areas, so fighters no longer rush into the center of stations to die. Not all issues are fixed, but combat becomes a lot more playable than the mess delivered by the vanilla game.

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Re: [5.10 HF3] BUG: Capital ship attack range issue against enemy stations - Thread to upload saves for devs

Post by j.harshaw » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 16:36

Do you mean your Syns in Savage Spur attacking a xenon station in low attention?

@TwoThe If you have nothing to contribute, keep it in the normal forum. We work in here.

Caedes91
x4

Post by Caedes91 » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 18:43

j.harshaw wrote:
Wed, 27. Jul 22, 16:36
Do you mean your Syns in Savage Spur attacking a xenon station in low attention?
Yes, the target are the two XEN defence stations. Two groups comprised of Syn destroyers, equipped with Terran main weapons, L-Beam and L-Bolt as turrets AFAIK. One group unassigned single ships with the same order and target. The other are a fleet, whose leader has the coordinate attack order, target is the other XEN defence station.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”