Steam Cloud and Save game sync

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Rambus
x4

Steam Cloud and Save game sync

Post by Rambus » Sat, 13. Aug 22, 00:36

The syncing between windows PC and the steam deck doesn't work. I believe syncing between windows and linux isn't supported as of now ( even though proton has windows like file system?).

Will there be support for this issue in the future? If it's inconvenience to alot of the player base to make this change, can we get a compatibility mode? That say we can check in the options menu or something that enables syncing between Linux and windows machines.

Or is there suggested work around other than using USB to transfer saves? I would like to sync my saves on the go.

Thanks.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Steam Cloud and Save game sync

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 13. Aug 22, 01:32

If cloud sync is not working I recommend reporting it to steam/valve. As far as I am aware the save files of X4 are platform independent so will load perfectly in both windows and Linux.

Rambus
x4

Post by Rambus » Sat, 13. Aug 22, 17:55

I believe a dev has spoken about this before. I am curious if the view on this issue will be addressed though from egosoft side though in the future by making an compatible option for people with a steam deck. But I will submit a ticket with steam as well.

Post from another thread.
CBJ wrote:
Sun, 8. May 22, 15:47
mindscout wrote:
Sun, 8. May 22, 11:16
So maybe there is an issue with cloud synchronization between Linux and Windows, were the game makes two different sets of Savegames, one for each platform?
There is indeed such an issue, and it relates to the fact that Linux filenames are case-sensitive, while Windows are not. At some point in the distant past, the folder name under Linux was given a name that differed from the Windows name only by the case of one letter. Unfortunately the Steam cloud sync doesn't handle this situation as we'd want it to, and now we're in the position that we cannot change folder name without inconveniencing a large number of players by losing their cloud synced files. As a result, the rather smaller number of people who want to sync between the two platforms will have to work around this limitation.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 13. Aug 22, 19:42

If that is the case the solution on linux might be a symbolic link with the windows folder names. This would hopefully let steam cloud sync view the correct folder.

Another possible solution would be to move to a case insensitive file system to mimic the windows behaviour. Many NAS orientated file systems like ZFS support this for compatibility with windows systems. This is likely more hassle than it is worth so I recommend trying a symbolic link first.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”