Graphical issues

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Graxx Katarn
x4

Graphical issues

Post by Graxx Katarn » Mon, 31. Oct 22, 15:07

I've finally managed to get a machine powerful enough to play this game, have loved it so far as with all other X entries I've played, but after a while playing, there seems to be some graphical issues that I can't figure out how to solve. They usually begin about an hour or two into a play session. NPC heads will stop loading in, sectors that I visit will rapidly flicker fully red and black on the map, solid white streaks will appear to flicker in and out of existence both on the map and in space, and a few other anomalies that I can't quite describe.

I'm running on ultra, but the hardware I'm running now should have zero complaints about it. AMD 5900X, GeForce RTX 3090, 64gb of RAM. I've made sure all my drivers are up to date with Nvidia GeForce Experience. Any ideas?
Last edited by Graxx Katarn on Wed, 2. Nov 22, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Graphical issues

Post by CBJ » Mon, 31. Oct 22, 15:22

It's very hard to offer relevant advice without the information requested at the top of the forum, specifically your DXDiag and vulkaninfo, and with only a description to go on rather than, say, a screenshot or video.

That said, problems like the ones you are describing are almost always a result of driver or hardware issues, or a result of overclocking or excessively high settings. You've not mentioned whether you've done any overclocking, but if you have then turning that off would be the very first place to start. Turning down the settings is also worth a try; if you go too mad with the AA settings, for example, then even high-end hardware may start running out of VRAM at high resolutions.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 31. Oct 22, 15:48

You could try turning down graphic settings to medium and seeing if the issues/artefacts occur after a similar length in time. If the artefacts stop occurring, you can try raising settings individually until you find the trouble causer.

I recall screen space visual effects like chromatic aberration causing graphical artefacts in AMD GPUs. As far as I was aware Nvidia GPUs did not suffer from this problem but turning off that setting might be worth a try.

Trying an older Nvidia driver from 3 to 6 months ago might be a good idea in case it is a bug with the current graphic driver version.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 31. Oct 22, 16:31

Id probably try a clean driver install, try ddu to clean ur system of gfx drivers and then try a fresh download of latest drivers, might help.

Also maybe test ur ram with memtest or something?

Also try verify ur files on steam if its on steam.

If on ultra btw and u can reproduce or the issue is on screen at the time and say ur on station or whatever, try change ur settings and test each gfx setting off on or inbetween its options, see if u can pin which option triggers it?
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”