BUG with TOA story mission Scrapyard Salvage

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Remoradfc
x4

BUG with TOA story mission Scrapyard Salvage

Post by Remoradfc » Sat, 7. Jan 23, 23:13

Successfully progressed to point where I am piloting the ship stolen from the VIG scrapyard.

On stage 4 of Scrapyard Salvage "await: Lahubasis Yorilos III".

I receive call from him, I respond to the call "F key". I have option to "Transfer Ship". I select this option and a menu opens where I can choose the ship to transfer to him, however the captured ship is not listed. Only my own companies ships are shown, not the J.P. Morgan's Knife. I have ignored the call and waited for it to trigger repeatedly, the same options remain. No option to deliver him the J.P. Morgan's Knife. I have reloaded saves. Same issue. On a whim I accepted transfer of one of my ships, thinking it may just be a text error, but no. My ship gets transfered away, and I keep the J.P. Morgan's Knife. I have tried docking the ship at a station and stepping away form it, I have tried leaving the ship in space while I exit in my spacesuit, I have tried assigning a ship captain to the ship in the hopes it will show up on the list of ships I can donate to complete this quest phase. Nothing works.

I assume I am supposed to have the option to choose the J.P. Morgan's Knife and donate that to him. But it is not listed as an option. I would prefer to not donate to him one of my own freighters. But it will not permit me to select the J.P. Morgan's Knife, since it is not listed on the list of valid ship options to donate to complete this mission phase.

No Mods / Vanilla game
Version 5.10 (479084) - English
The Young Gun

*cannot find the attachments section to add requested files dxdiag and vulkaninfo*

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: BUG with TOA story mission Scrapyard Salvage

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 8. Jan 23, 10:29

I assume that you cannot transfer Dagobas to a ship that you are piloting or in as it will change ownership. It might be that you were intended to have left the ship before accepting the transfer dialogue (and how would you know that?).

Here's a report with the opposite complaint. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Remoradfc
x4

Post by Remoradfc » Sun, 8. Jan 23, 16:28

I have tried exiting the ship and floating in my spacesuit to progress with conversation. I have docked to station and walked away from the ship, same result. I have assigned and unassigned captain to it. I have left the ship in space and teleported to PMQ or other ships I own, no change. Nothing I can think of will permit the J.P. Morgan's Knife to be added to the list of ships permitted to be chosen during conversation to donate to him. I even tried a face to face conversation with him at Tidebreak, no change.

This is perplexing to me.

*Yes i read the other members reverse complaint. I cannot begin to wonder what is going on in his game either. Since he did not provide basic information about game start, mods, etc. So his issues may be separate from mine for a hundred different reasons, but he did not provide enough detail to his ticket. My assumption for him, is that he is on a game start that begins in TOA content, so he is having reverse quest lock. That is a pure guess based on the lack of detail in his ticket.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 8. Jan 23, 17:10

Yes, I wondered if it made a difference if you were not in the ship at the time the swap was first offered as you had already said that leaving the ship after that point made no difference. Temporarily going back to a pre-offer save and playing up to it again might be the only way to check though.

Remoradfc
x4

Post by Remoradfc » Sun, 8. Jan 23, 19:14

That is what I am trying now.

One thing I seem to remember, is the 1st time the conversation began, was during the mission to steal the ship. I was in my spacesuit and on approach towards the unclaimed ship. I had not yet entered the ship as it floated in space, and that is when he 1st began his conversation with me. So I am speculating, based on my recollections of that heist, that the player is supposed to complete the conversation before taking ownership of the ship? Which makes no sense to me somehow. The ship was unclaimed, and the conversation began. Which is why I originally ignored it. Since the previous dialogue made it clear that I was expected to captain the ship out of there quickly before the laser defenses destroyed me. So I ignored his 1st call and got into the ship and ran out of there. And forever afterwards I was not able to choose the J.P. Morgan's Knife as the ship to donate.

Now this is a theory of mine, that I will test when i return there. So when the conversation begins again, before I take ownership, this time I will proceed and see if it makes any difference. *shrug* I will post the results of that test soon when I return to that point in the quest.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 8. Jan 23, 19:52

Also please post a link to a vanilla save just before that point if you can as then the devs can investigate if it seems to be about to go wrong from there on.

How to link and post data is in the first sticky thread on this forum.

Remoradfc
x4

Post by Remoradfc » Sun, 8. Jan 23, 20:14

I intend to share pictures and all requested/required files, however the wiki you reference is not 100% helpful. 2 things wrong with it.

First, the thread on required data and uploading files, has a hyperlink to the Egosoft Wiki on Crash Reports and Dumps.
Where appropriate, additional symptoms, error messages, links to saves, screenshots and crash dump files (see this Wiki entry).
Within this, is no reference at all to sharing links or saves. It only speaks about crash reports exclusively and how to enable the crash report option in game settings. It has no explanation whatsoever for uploading saves and files to a ticket.

Second, in this forum, in threads like this one, there is no option anywhere to allow the thread creator to attach a document, image or file. Everything is URL based only. So I presume that the only option is for the player/thread owner/me to upload the requested/required files to a 3rd party website and attach the URLs in this forum thread.

ps. IMO the Egosoft Wiki and the pinned Tech Support Requests thread should be updated to include better direction on how to upload and share required files.

pps. There is another forum help thread created by CBJ(EGOSOFT), that explains how to attach files to a ticket. But it too is not applicable as it makes reference to an Attachments button, that does not exist. viewtopic.php?t=426736

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 8. Jan 23, 21:16

We are getting rather off topic now but here goes. A direct quote from the Tech Sp Sticky I mentioned:

"If you are supplying information that will not conveniently fit into posts in this forum (approx 70,000 character limit per post), in the worst case you can split long text files across 2 consecutive posts, or ideally you can upload the data to a reputable public fileshare site (a few examples are Google Drive, DropBox or PasteBin, etc) but please don't use sites that spam advertising or require registration for downloads."

Perhaps the only thing it doesn't stress enough is for you to make sure that the download link you post is for open public fileshare and not only accessible via your private account. Time expiring links of 2-3 weeks are fine as long as the expiry date is mentioned in the post.

The Construction Community forum has direct attachment to thread posts generally enabled for construction plans that are relatively small uploads/downloads and so that quote from CBJ is made in and purely for *that* forum. Saves, large and hi-res screenshots, etc would on the other hand quickly consume vast amounts of forum resources and so are done via public sharing accounts.

Remoradfc
x4

Post by Remoradfc » Sun, 8. Jan 23, 22:12

Yeah, I was worried about getting off topic. I appreciate your effort in clarifying things. I had read the previous direction and when it was talking about forum posts exceeding 70,000 character limit, I interpreted that to refer to typed text in threads like the one I am typing now. I did not associate this direction to save files.

I am at the quest point for the Scrapyard Salvage now. I am making small changes to my company name, character name, station names, etc. So as not to reveal my personal information (I was using my real name). After I am satisfied my personal information is not within the game save, I will proceed with game mission, confirm issue replicates, and provide notes/update here, after I deal with the 3rd party file shares etc.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 9. Jan 23, 06:40

Remoradfc wrote:
Sun, 8. Jan 23, 16:28
I have tried exiting the ship and floating in my spacesuit to progress with conversation. I have docked to station and walked away from the ship, same result. ...
Out of curiosity, to which station are you referring? You have to dock at Tidebreak in order to transfer the Knife to Lahubasis.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Remoradfc
x4

Post by Remoradfc » Mon, 9. Jan 23, 08:21

Nanook wrote:
Mon, 9. Jan 23, 06:40
Remoradfc wrote:
Sun, 8. Jan 23, 16:28
I have tried exiting the ship and floating in my spacesuit to progress with conversation. I have docked to station and walked away from the ship, same result. ...
Out of curiosity, to which station are you referring? You have to dock at Tidebreak in order to transfer the Knife to Lahubasis.
Yes
I even tried a face to face conversation with him at Tidebreak, no change.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 9. Jan 23, 19:22

Remoradfc wrote:
Sun, 8. Jan 23, 19:14
That is what I am trying now.

One thing I seem to remember, is the 1st time the conversation began, was during the mission to steal the ship. I was in my spacesuit and on approach towards the unclaimed ship. I had not yet entered the ship as it floated in space, and that is when he 1st began his conversation with me. So I am speculating, based on my recollections of that heist, that the player is supposed to complete the conversation before taking ownership of the ship? Which makes no sense to me somehow. The ship was unclaimed, and the conversation began. Which is why I originally ignored it. Since the previous dialogue made it clear that I was expected to captain the ship out of there quickly before the laser defenses destroyed me. So I ignored his 1st call and got into the ship and ran out of there. And forever afterwards I was not able to choose the J.P. Morgan's Knife as the ship to donate.

Now this is a theory of mine, that I will test when i return there. So when the conversation begins again, before I take ownership, this time I will proceed and see if it makes any difference. *shrug* I will post the results of that test soon when I return to that point in the quest.
Sorry, I misread this before. The call from Lahubasis shouldn't occur until you've docked on Tidebreak (or at least in the process of docking there). After talking to Lahubasis the first time on Tidebreak when you got the mission, did you immediately proceed with the mission or did you go do something else first? Somehow, the mission has gotten broken and I don't know if you have any option other than to restart at the point you first approach his broken freighter or earlier.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

Remoradfc
x4

Post by Remoradfc » Mon, 9. Jan 23, 23:47

To clarify the sequence of events:

- Enter system and quest to rescue Lahubasis begins;

- complete that quest by delivering him to Tidebreak Dock;

- new mission begins to talk to friend of Lahubasis to go steal a ship for him;

- speak to her and accept mission, then game loads you and her in adjacent system on approach to station with scrapyard and Erlking ship;

- eventually she stops and tells you to get out and get the ship J.P. Morgan's Knife;

- I exit ship into my spacesuit and fly towards the ship and dialogues continue until I was asked by Lahubasis what the condition of the ship is and I have option to transfer ship to him;

*** this conversation triggered before I had even entered or taken possession of J.P. Morgan's Knife.

- I canceled the conversation since I was worried about laser towers;

- I boarded the J.P. Morgan's Knife and flew away from proximity of that station in a random direction (northwards if I recall); and

- eventually and repeatedly Lahubasis contacts me over and over and over and over again asking the same question about condition of the ship, I now try to accept ship transfer to him, but J.P. Morgan's Knife is not listed as an option.

*** These conversations trigger repeatedly everywhere. In space, in any system, in any dock, I even floated in space, I even went to Tidebreak and spoke to him face to face. No change. J.P. Morgan's Knife is not listed as a choice to give him. Some of my other transports I own are listed (some, not all. I have 3 identical Medium transports, but only 1 of those is listed not the others. Station ownership of my transport is not relevant factor)

I have loaded earlier save, progressed back to this point again, edited my properties to remove personal identifying details, and am now ready to proceed anew. I will make this attempt shortly and we shall see what goes on this time.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 00:56

Remoradfc wrote:
Mon, 9. Jan 23, 23:47
To clarify the sequence of events:

- Enter system and quest to rescue Lahubasis begins;

- I boarded the J.P. Morgan's Knife and flew away from proximity of that station in a random direction (northwards if I recall); and...
In case you didn't know, this is all the same mission sequence, and more parts continue after you've successfully transferred the ship to him. You're not done with ol' Lahubasis just yet. It's all part of the Riptide mission sequence.
- eventually and repeatedly Lahubasis contacts me over and over and over and over again asking the same question about condition of the ship, I now try to accept ship transfer to him, but J.P. Morgan's Knife is not listed as an option.

*** These conversations trigger repeatedly everywhere. In space, in any system, in any dock, I even floated in space, I even went to Tidebreak and spoke to him face to face. No change. J.P. Morgan's Knife is not listed as a choice to give him. Some of my other transports I own are listed (some, not all. I have 3 identical Medium transports, but only 1 of those is listed not the others. Station ownership of my transport is not relevant factor)...
This is where the mission seems to be broken. I've played through this mission a few times, and never had Lahubasis bug me like that. As I stated above, I only get one message, and that's usually after I dock at Tidebreak. If I dally along the way back, he may message me twice, just to make sure I'm coming. But I've never had him contact me about transferring the ship when I was in the act of retrieving it.

If the mission again breaks after your latest attempt, you can try two things. First, verify your game files with Steam. If that doesn't work, use a public download service to upload your savegame and post a link on the forum in this thread. We can try to reproduce the issue.

Remoradfc
x4

Post by Remoradfc » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 02:23

Okay. so here are the results.

I repeated the new save multiple times, trying to replicate the problem. I even tried to deliberately break the mission, by using repair welder on the J.P. Morgan's Knife instead of scanning it like I was told to do.
I was unable to replicate the mission breaking bug. Mission progresses normally as it should up to point where I transfer the J.P. Morgan's Knife to Lahubasis. I am not able to replicate the mission breaking that occurred earlier.
I will upload the broken savegame URL here so you can take a look if interested. I will be proceeding with my current game and not using the broken one. But please feel tree to let me know if you guys ever figure out what went wrong in the game after you review my savegame from the broken mission.

This link is to the 3 required files. I put the 3 of them into a zip file together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rm3sm3f8u7ww ... s.zip?dl=0

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”