game crashes when going from "mars" sector to "asteroid belt" in new game

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

PhoenixManyack
x4

game crashes when going from "mars" sector to "asteroid belt" in new game

Post by PhoenixManyack » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 18:21

Hello
My problem started when I tried to load a saved game in version 4.0. They did not load the quick save game, nor the manually saved games. I started loading and after seeing 2 or 3 seconds my ship the game closed and sent to the desktop.

After this I decided to start a new game, everything was going well until I traveled from the Mars sector to the Asteroid Belt. When going through the door, my ship sees the image of a fighter in front of a teladi mining ship, after 2 seconds the game closes and sends me to the desktop. The new game starts with a terran cadet and starts in the mars sector.

After this I thought that the game would be broken and I started a new one as a terran cadet, as soon as the game started I went to the asteroid belt sector, and the error continued there exactly the same.

- Check local files - No success
- Reinstalled the game - no success
- Lower the graphic configuration to the minimum - without success
- start the game with steam in online mode and again in offline mode - without success.

Check if the error appeared when going through any door, and it doesn't, it only happens when going through that door to asteroid belt. Well, if I travel through the mars to venus gate, everything works correctly.

I add an image of what it looks like when going through the door 2 seconds before the game closes and sends me to the windows desktop.

I don't know what else to do to be able to play the game, I hope you can help me. Also say that the game worked correctly for me and without any problem in version 4.0, even where this error happens to me now.

If it's any more information, the game is installed on an SSD, works under windows 10 and never had performance issues or bugs in previous versions of the game.

Thank you very much and best regards

P.D: I feel my English, I use google translator to communicate.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: game crashes when going from "mars" sector to "asteroid belt" in new game

Post by CBJ » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 18:30

Since other people don't have this problem, this must be something local to your installation. Please provide a full DXDiag and vulkaninfo, as requested in the very first thread in this forum, so that we can take a look at possible system issues.

In the meantime, have you tried adding the game folder to your anti-virus exclusion list?

PhoenixManyack
x4

Post by PhoenixManyack » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 18:40

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 18:30
Since other people don't have this problem, this must be something local to your installation. Please provide a full DXDiag and vulkaninfo, as requested in the very first thread in this forum, so that we can take a look at possible system issues.

In the meantime, have you tried adding the game folder to your anti-virus exclusion list?
Hello and thank you very much for your answer.

I'm sorry if it sounds ridiculous but I don't know what DXDiag and vulkaninfo are, I don't know much about computing. Although it sounds a bit like graphics on my computer, I have an Nvidia GTX, 12 GB of ram and an I7-4230 processor. That's all I can tell you about my computer.

The antivirus is Windows Defender, how should I check if the game folder is in its exclusion list?

Edit: I have looked for it in google, I have applied exclusion to the installation folder of the game, and also to the egossoft folder hosted in my documents.

After doing so, the same error still occurs.

Thank you very much and greetings

P.D: I feel my English, I use google translator to communicate
Last edited by PhoenixManyack on Wed, 18. Jan 23, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 18:49

PhoenixManyack wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 18:40
I'm sorry if it sounds ridiculous but I don't know what DXDiag and vulkaninfo are, I don't know much about computing.
As I said, all the information you need is in the very first thread in this forum; the one that says "Please read this before posting!". It explains how to obtain and provide the information.

PhoenixManyack
x4

Post by PhoenixManyack » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 19:22

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 18:49
PhoenixManyack wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 18:40
I'm sorry if it sounds ridiculous but I don't know what DXDiag and vulkaninfo are, I don't know much about computing.
As I said, all the information you need is in the very first thread in this forum; the one that says "Please read this before posting!". It explains how to obtain and provide the information.
I have checked what it tells me about DXDiag and vulkaninfo, and it warns that private data from my computer is provided. I am not very comfortable with facilitating this in a forum, even if it is technical support.

- The current version of my X4 is 5.10 Spanish language.
- I do not use any type of modification in the game.
- The game is bought and run on Steam.
- The game runs correctly, except when going through the Mars-asteroid belt gate.
- I have not made any type of software or hardware change since the last time I successfully ran the game in version 4.0.

As I have edited in my previous post, in case you haven't seen it, I have checked the windows defender exclusion and applied the exclusions, but still getting the same error.

I hope the new information is of some use.

P.D: I feel my English, I use google translator to communicate.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 19:32

As that linked Wiki entry also says, once you have saved the text that makes up the reports, you can filter out (replace or blank) any information that you really don't want to send, such as the name of the computer perhaps. There really is nothing 'sinister' or useful to scammers in the DxDiag or VulkanInfo. Here's what CBJ said to a similarly concerned poster. Without that information the devs really have little chance of investigating properly.

If you are still worried, a dev might allow you to PM links or e-mail the files directly to them, but that would be quite unusual.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

PhoenixManyack
x4

Post by PhoenixManyack » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 19:55

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 19:32
As that linked Wiki entry also says, once you have saved the text that makes up the reports, you can filter out (replace or blank) any information that you really don't want to send, such as the name of the computer perhaps. There really is nothing 'sinister' or useful to scammers in the DxDiag or VulkanInfo. Here's what CBJ said to a similarly concerned poster. Without that information the devs really have little chance of investigating properly.

If you are still worried, a dev might allow you to PM links or e-mail the files directly to them, but that would be quite unusual.
Hello
I want to play the game, so I will trust then to send them the Dxdiag, the vulkaninfo did not give me results (even removing the ").

I hope it helps to find the problem.

Thank you

I have written my answer, but I can't find how to attach the DXDiag.txt file to it. That is why I am attaching a link to Mega with the file, I hope it helps.

https://mega.nz/file/JQAA2J7S#j-Ovm-X6Z ... Ho7tJrgQuc

himid

Post by himid » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 20:15

PhoenixManyack wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 18:21
My problem started when I tried to load a saved game in version 4.0. They did not load the quick save game, nor the manually saved games. I started loading and after seeing 2 or 3 seconds my ship the game closed and sent to the desktop.

Hello.
I had the same problem after updating to the latest version of the game. I check the logs and read something... I saw that problem may be in the Vulkan implementation. I tried to update the video driver to lastest (I have NVidia video card). And it worked.
Now game isn't crashing.
Last edited by himid on Wed, 18. Jan 23, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 20:18

looks like vulkan is not installed that should fix it
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

PhoenixManyack
x4

Post by PhoenixManyack » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 20:31

himid wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 20:15
PhoenixManyack wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 18:21

Hello.
I had the same problem after updating to the latest version of the game. I check the logs and read something... I saw that problem may be in the Vulkan implementation. I tried to update the video driver to lastest (I have NVidia video card). And it worked.
Now game isn't crashing.
Buzz2005 wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 20:18
looks like vulkan is not installed that should fix it
I have checked the situation of my nVidia drivers, this is the result:

It does not update me to a higher version or to the vulkan that you mention, it says that they are the most recent drivers for my GTX, but nothing about vukan appears. Is there a way to install that vulkan without nvidia experience? Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know much about these topics.

thank you

PS: I feel my English, I use google translator to communicate

himid

Post by himid » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 20:49

PhoenixManyack wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 20:31
It does not update me to a higher version or to the vulkan that you mention, it says that they are the most recent drivers for my GTX, but nothing about vukan appears. Is there a way to install that vulkan without nvidia experience? Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know much about these topics.

thank you

Strange, GTX600 and higer can be updated to new version. But for GTX500 web site nvidia shows very old version (older then yours).
Try to find it on the nvidia web site directly:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
Last edited by himid on Wed, 18. Jan 23, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 20:57

I can see a few problems from your DxDiag.

You have two graphics devices, an Intel onboard chipset with hardly any dedicated VRAM and an outdated 2017 driver, and a nVidia mobility gpu with just 2 GB VRAM and an outdated 2019 driver. You need to update the drivers of both devices if you can and so also get the latest version of Vulkan, and then make sure that your system uses the nVidia card for X4. Be aware that even then your X4 gameplay will not be great as the minimum requirement for X4 is a card with 3 GB dedicated VRAM.

You have a Realtek onboard sound chipset but an outdated and generic Microsoft sound driver for it. You can get the latest Realtek sound driver (probably Realtek Audio Codec R2.82) from the Realtek driver update site.

Good luck, but don't expect too much.

PhoenixManyack
x4

Post by PhoenixManyack » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 21:41

himid wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 20:49
PhoenixManyack wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 20:31

thank you

Strange, GTX600 and higer can be updated to new version. But for GTX500 web site nvidia shows very old version (older then yours).
Try to find it on the nvidia web site directly:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
I have already tried it and it does not show a more current driver than the one I have already installed. I've been reading about vulkan, and supposedly my graphics card should allow it in its drivers.

I don't see myself stuck on this issue.

PhoenixManyack
x4

Post by PhoenixManyack » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 22:01

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 20:57
I can see a few problems from your DxDiag.

You have two graphics devices, an Intel onboard chipset with hardly any dedicated VRAM and an outdated 2017 driver, and a nVidia mobility gpu with just 2 GB VRAM and an outdated 2019 driver. You need to update the drivers of both devices if you can and so also get the latest version of Vulkan, and then make sure that your system uses the nVidia card for X4. Be aware that even then your X4 gameplay will not be great as the minimum requirement for X4 is a card with 3 GB dedicated VRAM.

You have a Realtek onboard sound chipset but an outdated and generic Microsoft sound driver for it. You can get the latest Realtek sound driver (probably Realtek Audio Codec R2.82) from the Realtek driver update site.

Good luck, but don't expect too much.
It is effectively an MSI GE60 notebook with an integrated intel GPU and a dedicated nVidia GTX 765m. I have the latter configured in the game to be the one it uses and in fact, as I said, the game works correctly except when going through the door, and it did before updating this latest version. It has never given me any problems in the 600 hours of play with the X4, and in its 4.0 version I played for months with the terran faction, even surpassing the mission that now closes the game for me. So my pc moved the game perfectly (or moved it in the previous version).

The nvidia graphics are in the most updated version and the same happens with the intel graphics that the game does not use, as I mentioned in my previous post. I don't even know if the vulkan version is installed because it is supposedly installed with the nVidia drivers and as I said it does not allow me to update them beyond version 425.31 as you mention in 2019. If there is any way to install vulkan individually without going through the nvidia drivers, please tell me how you know it, because I've been looking and I haven't found anything about it.

I have also updated the realtek drivers as much as the computer allows me.

I know that you should have everything as up-to-date as possible and I always try to have it, but as I said, I am not allowed to update anymore. The fact is that if we were talking about a new game I wouldn't say anything, but as I say I've played this game for 600 hours, when I bought it as well as the dlcs for it my computer moved perfectly. With what the problem is not my pc or its drivers, it is the update that has broken it, or has only thought about the current pc and not the ones that previously moved the game.

What I want to say is that if the problem is the new addition of vulkan in the game and that this breaks a game that I have paid for after years of enjoying it, it means that they have changed the product that I bought at the time and that it was perfectly compatible With my computer. And I'm not saying that it should work at the top of graphics, but it should continue to work like the day I bought it. And I am seeing that this new version of the game has killed my ability to use a product that I have paid for and the computer would work perfectly without this new update.

You are a moderator of this forum, is there any way that you can transfer this to the developers? Well, as I say, updating a software is not a reason for my purchase of this not to work where it did before. As I say, the problem is that you have to have vulkan, and it worked perfectly for me with Directx 12, so developers should make it easier to use one API or another to be able to enjoy something that was already paid for and tested.

I'm sorry if I have extended myself, but as I say it frustrates me not being able to use something that worked well before the update, if it was a new game I would understand and return the product if necessary, but the X4 Foudations ran perfectly on my hardware before the update version 5.10, and clearly after 600 hours of play it is impossible to return both the base game and the purchased DLC.

Greetings and I hope you can let the developers know that your game has broken.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 23:20

You seem to have misunderstood something fundamental: X4 has used Vulkan since it was first released, and has never used DirectX. Indeed nothing has changed in 5.10 that would suddenly stop the game from working on hardware that meets the minimum requirements.

One thing to note regarding drivers, is that on a system with multiple graphics cards (such as laptops with both Intel and NVidia hardware), drivers for both must be updated, even if only the NVidia is being used for the game. This is something that is outside our control, and seems to be related to way the drivers are written.

Incidentally, if you want to try older versions of the game to see if that makes any difference (I doubt it will, but you are welcome to try) then you can do so by selecting a "legacy" option on the Beta tab of the Steam client.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 02:01

X4 is highly unstable on GPUs with less than 3 GB of free video memory, to the point some would consider it unplayable. This is one of the reasons the minimum requirement for GPU is so high, since older or weaker GPUs usually had less than 3 GB of video memory even if they do support Vulkan sufficiently to get in game.

If X4 can load into a save and your GPU has less than 3 GB of video memory then I recommend trying your best to optimise video memory usage. This includes closing background applications like browsers which can use video memory as well as setting in game settings like texture quality, draw distance and model quality (if available) to low. In theory such settings should help reduce the amount of video memory X4 requires and so reduce the likely hood of it running out of video memory and crashing.

There are also third party mods that might help with the issue by simplifying the graphics. People used them in the past to make playing on 3 GB or lower GPUs more stable. However I am unsure how well compatibility of these mods has been maintained and any issues that occur with their use are the responsibility of the mod author.

PhoenixManyack
x4

Post by PhoenixManyack » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 10:13

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 23:20
You seem to have misunderstood something fundamental: X4 has used Vulkan since it was first released, and has never used DirectX. Indeed nothing has changed in 5.10 that would suddenly stop the game from working on hardware that meets the minimum requirements.

One thing to note regarding drivers, is that on a system with multiple graphics cards (such as laptops with both Intel and NVidia hardware), drivers for both must be updated, even if only the NVidia is being used for the game. This is something that is outside our control, and seems to be related to way the drivers are written.

Incidentally, if you want to try older versions of the game to see if that makes any difference (I doubt it will, but you are welcome to try) then you can do so by selecting a "legacy" option on the Beta tab of the Steam client.
If I understand what you are explaining to me, that means that my computer has vulkan installed, unlike what I thought. If so, I did not find a way to update it more than it already is. And I apologize for rushing, frustration blinded me at that moment.

As I indicated in a previous post, my graphics card has 2gb of memory, and that in the 600 hours of play that I have played has never been a problem. I have not noticed any instabilities or errors in my games, apart from some occasional lag on certain occasions, which I assumed due to the characteristics of my computer. What I want to say is that it had never been a problem until this version 5.10.

I didn't know that I could go back to a previous version of the game, if so I'll go back to version 4.0 that worked great for me.

Although I still don't understand why an introduction when passing the door closes the game for me, if everything else works correctly when going through other doors. I will try in this same version to start the game with the Split cadets to see if there is a difference before downloading my game version.

Thanks and best regards

PhoenixManyack
x4

Post by PhoenixManyack » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 10:25

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 19. Jan 23, 02:01
X4 is highly unstable on GPUs with less than 3 GB of free video memory, to the point some would consider it unplayable. This is one of the reasons the minimum requirement for GPU is so high, since older or weaker GPUs usually had less than 3 GB of video memory even if they do support Vulkan sufficiently to get in game.

If X4 can load into a save and your GPU has less than 3 GB of video memory then I recommend trying your best to optimise video memory usage. This includes closing background applications like browsers which can use video memory as well as setting in game settings like texture quality, draw distance and model quality (if available) to low. In theory such settings should help reduce the amount of video memory X4 requires and so reduce the likely hood of it running out of video memory and crashing.

There are also third party mods that might help with the issue by simplifying the graphics. People used them in the past to make playing on 3 GB or lower GPUs more stable. However I am unsure how well compatibility of these mods has been maintained and any issues that occur with their use are the responsibility of the mod author.
If I have made these checks in the graphical configuration, everything is at a minimum (in version 4.0 it was fine in Medium quality), and everything that I have been able to deactivate I have deactivated, now like the day I bought the game. It is not a priority for me to have the best graphics.

I don't usually have anything else in use when I run my games, it's something I don't like since I got a computer. Except for the thousands of processes and threads that windows runs when and how it wants. So except for the game and steam, there is nothing else running on my end.

Regarding the modifications, even if they are to improve performance, I don't like to use them because I often don't understand how to use them.

I will continue looking for how I could update the vulkan, although after yesterday's search I doubt that I will find much more, because my English is very limited and google translator is sometimes more of an obstacle than a help.

Thanks for your answers, I'll keep trying to play my game to see if I get lucky.

a greeting

himid

Post by himid » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 12:55

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 23:20

Sorry, but I think something changed between 4 and 5 versions. Because I have GTX 1060 desktop videocard, and I had the same problem at least 2 saves. One save crashed direct after load game, the second one cause crash after change location.

But yes, after update video driver, it's gone.
I think it's not save problem, but may be it's problem with some Vulkan graphics function (previous not used for example).

Unfortunately, this will not solve topic creator's problem. He can't update the NVidia driver to a later version (looks like NVidia has ended support for his video adapter). But may be he can downgrade game version (if it possible) and it will solve...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 13:28

I don't know if this Vulkan download approach by Stanislove might help the OP at all. It has to be at the OP's risk though as I have no idea if it may be the right thing to do with their hardware.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”