game crashes when going from "mars" sector to "asteroid belt" in new game

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: game crashes when going from "mars" sector to "asteroid belt" in new game

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 13:37

Vulkan is updated by updating and of your graphic drivers. The vulkan service provider usually does not need to be updated. Vulkan feature support is updated by updating your graphic drivers, and is usually determined by the GPU hardware generation. Vulkan implementations are updated by updating the appropriate graphic driver, since the graphic driver is responsible for implementing the vulkan API for that GPU.

If your GPU model is no longer supported then there usually will be no further graphic driver updates to install for it. In this case your vulkan version, vulkan feature level and driver compatibility will be frozen at whatever the final driver update provided.

I recall that there were some optimisations or changes made between 4.00 and 5.00 to GPU memory usage. Since GPUs with less than 3 GB of free video memory were never officially supported it is possible such a change regressed compatibility with such GPUs, making X4 more likely to crash on them. In such a case it may be best to continue using a legacy build until you get a computer that meets the minimum requirements.

PhoenixManyack
x4

Post by PhoenixManyack » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 10:29

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 19. Jan 23, 13:28
I don't know if this Vulkan download approach by Stanislove might help the OP at all. It has to be at the OP's risk though as I have no idea if it may be the right thing to do with their hardware.
I have tried what worked for this user, in my case it has not worked and I still have the same problem. Thank you anyway.

a greeting

PhoenixManyack
x4

Post by PhoenixManyack » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 10:33

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 19. Jan 23, 13:37
Vulkan is updated by updating and of your graphic drivers. The vulkan service provider usually does not need to be updated. Vulkan feature support is updated by updating your graphic drivers, and is usually determined by the GPU hardware generation. Vulkan implementations are updated by updating the appropriate graphic driver, since the graphic driver is responsible for implementing the vulkan API for that GPU.

If your GPU model is no longer supported then there usually will be no further graphic driver updates to install for it. In this case your vulkan version, vulkan feature level and driver compatibility will be frozen at whatever the final driver update provided.

I recall that there were some optimisations or changes made between 4.00 and 5.00 to GPU memory usage. Since GPUs with less than 3 GB of free video memory were never officially supported it is possible such a change regressed compatibility with such GPUs, making X4 more likely to crash on them. In such a case it may be best to continue using a legacy build until you get a computer that meets the minimum requirements.
I have tried to download the version of my game, after gradually downloading the version I confirm that versions 5.0 and 5.10 do not work for me. However in version 4.20 the game works correctly and without errors.

So version 5.0 onwards is my problem and yours, because it is the update that breaks my game.

If you can pass this problem on to the developers, I would be very grateful, because I would like to enjoy the software that I have paid for.

a greeting

P.D: Por cierto he conseguido comprobar mi version vulkan y es la v.1.1.95, como pueden comprobar en la siguiente imagen.

P.D: Subject aside, to indicate another problem with version 5.10. I just verified that my problem loading my saved games in version 4.0, and that in version 5.10 they did not work, in the currently installed version 4.20 they load again. So that problem was also caused by the new version.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 14:42

That may be because the newer game versions are optimised to work with the correspondingly newer graphics drivers and Vulkan, and also more urgently require the stated minimum amount of VRAM for the graphics. Unfortunately, it appears that neither case can apply for your current system.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 15:25

PhoenixManyack wrote:
Sat, 21. Jan 23, 10:33
If you can pass this problem on to the developers, I would be very grateful, because I would like to enjoy the software that I have paid for.
With respect, the minimum requirements are set out on the Steam and GOG store pages. You chose to buy the game despite not having a system that met those requirements. You got lucky for a while, in that the game happened to work for you under certain circumstances, but those minimum requirements are there for a reason: those are the minimum requirements that we are able to guarantee will work with any given version.

With regard to playing the game you paid for, you have two options: continue to play with an older version that happens to work on your system, despite it not meeting the minimum requirements, or upgrade to hardware that does meet the minimum requirements. I understand that that may not be the answer you are looking for, but that is the reality of the situation, and acts as a reminder that checking the minimum requirements is an important step when choosing a game.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”