[MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO) 4.x

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DeadAirRT
x4

Re: [MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO) 3.x

Post by DeadAirRT » Fri, 1. Apr 22, 22:23

Scoob wrote:
Fri, 1. Apr 22, 21:56
Pardon me, I've read about potential issues with VRO (5.0 + ToA version) and ship modifications, preventing ship mods from being applied. I initially didn't worry about this as I don't use ship mods traditionally. However, I've just hit a certain point in a certain new plot-line that requires me to research and apply a mod to an engine. My understanding is that my current mods might cause me issues here, though I'm not entirely sure what goes wrong.

For the record I use the new version of VRO for ToA (from Shuulo's Discord), along with the XR Ship Pack and the Ship Variety Expansion mod (both with their respective VRO patch applied) to add more ships. I'm not entirely sure what I need to do in order to be able to apply the plot-required Engine mod successfully, whether it impacts all ships that are VRO'd or just certain ones. I recall reading that ALL mods that add / change ships need a certain fix applied in order to work, but as I've largely not paid attention - due to not using ship mods normally - I'm a little uncertain what needs to be done.

If anyone can provide guidance it'd be most welcome. If the answer is "wait until VRO is updated" then that's of course 100% fine, I'll just put this particular mission on hold for the time being.

Cheers.
Issue only happens with shield mods, stick to shuulo's vro_toa and you should be fine

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 1. Apr 22, 22:26

DeadAirRT wrote:
Fri, 1. Apr 22, 22:23
Issue only happens with shield mods, stick to shuulo's vro_toa and you should be fine
Excellent, thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it.

cyfagy
x3tc

Post by cyfagy » Sat, 2. Apr 22, 17:27

hello, in VRO-Lite most engines are way to slow compared with the original VRO settings ! in the mod folder assets\props\Engines\macros most of the engines have the wrong thrust numbers compared to shuulo's settings.
warming by devil´s fire

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Sat, 2. Apr 22, 18:51

cyfagy wrote:
Sat, 2. Apr 22, 17:27
hello, in VRO-Lite most engines are way to slow compared with the original VRO settings ! in the mod folder assets\props\Engines\macros most of the engines have the wrong thrust numbers compared to shuulo's settings.
Wrong place for that but no, they do not have the wrong thrust. They are different mods that are mostly similar. One of the things changed were thrust because higher speeds cause more performance impact so i lowered them.

cyfagy
x3tc

Post by cyfagy » Sat, 2. Apr 22, 21:25

hmm i thought you got the permission from shuulo to fix VRO and not to change VRO to something different, you should mention that your change the whole speed mechanic and not only make it work again.it's an important fact to know that.
warming by devil´s fire

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Sun, 3. Apr 22, 00:05

cyfagy wrote:
Sat, 2. Apr 22, 21:25
hmm i thought you got the permission from shuulo to fix VRO and not to change VRO to something different, you should mention that your change the whole speed mechanic and not only make it work again.it's an important fact to know that.
You seem to be generally confused about something. I helped shuulo with toa and the shield bug while still maintaining my own version called vro-lite. I don't need to clarify with users what sort of agreement i have with shuulo.

I maintain a pretty comprehensive list of changes in my patch notes. My job isn't to make sure i meet the standards of someone who can't even post in my own thread about my fork of VRO. I don't accept money, i don't spend countless hours modding for some random person to tell me what i should or should not do, and I'm not even remotely sorry that you have a bug free version that you can use until shuulo returns with travel speed reduced by 1/3.

Next time i fix something that many people are saying is affecting their game while the main author can't get to because of real life circumstances, I'll just not provide any sort of help at all so i don't get lectured.

By the way, you could have asked me how to use vro travel speeds in vro-lite. The answer would have been you just have to copy the engine macro files over into the correct folder.

cyfagy
x3tc

Post by cyfagy » Sun, 3. Apr 22, 03:06

that was not an attack on you or your work, that was just a statement. what you do is great, so if you understood that as negative then i apologize for that.
warming by devil´s fire

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Sun, 3. Apr 22, 03:23

cyfagy wrote:
Sun, 3. Apr 22, 03:06
that was not an attack on you or your work, that was just a statement. what you do is great, so if you understood that as negative then i apologize for that.
Sorry, I definitely over-reacted and it was not called for. Most people deal with one modder they give feedback to, I deal with tons of people giving me feedback.

If you want to restore shuulo's travel speeds, it can be done by replacing the files in:
assets/props/engines/macros
extensions/ego_dlc_split/assets/props/engines/macros
extensions/ego_dlc_terran/assets/props/engines/macros

with the ones from his version. The latest bug fixes didn't touch these so it shouldn't introduce any problems for you. If you need any help, let me know.

MiFoludek
x3tc

Post by MiFoludek » Mon, 4. Apr 22, 19:14

DeadAirRT wrote:
Thu, 31. Mar 22, 03:31
zwierzu wrote:
Thu, 31. Mar 22, 00:20
So things are a little complicated right now. Egosoft recently introduced a code change that made most ships with ishield cause UI glitches.

This is on top of shuulo having to evacuate due to the war.

Right now, my version has fixes for the UI glitch and works 100% but there is one major catch, it requires the authors of ship mods to update their mods or it may cause issues.

If you are fine with not being able to add equipment mods to ships, use the VRO version from shuulo's discord (folder will be called vro_toa when you unpack, rename it to VRO).

If you use my fixed version and If you use a shipmod that isn't updated for the fix, they may not use shields.

The "incompatibility" you are talking about is because the mods that are set to load after VRO, use VRO as the mod id. It can be fixed by updating their content file, or changing the ID in vro-lite content file to VRO.
Good to know that it is working fix for this.
Are you planning to deliver this fix also to standard-vro package?

BR,

Ragemaster9999
x4

Post by Ragemaster9999 » Thu, 7. Apr 22, 15:17

DeadAirRT wrote:
Sun, 3. Apr 22, 03:23
cyfagy wrote:
Sun, 3. Apr 22, 03:06
Sorry, I definitely over-reacted and it was not called for. Most people deal with one modder they give feedback to, I deal with tons of people giving me feedback.

If you want to restore shuulo's travel speeds, it can be done by replacing the files in:
assets/props/engines/macros
extensions/ego_dlc_split/assets/props/engines/macros
extensions/ego_dlc_terran/assets/props/engines/macros

with the ones from his version. The latest bug fixes didn't touch these so it shouldn't introduce any problems for you. If you need any help, let me know.
Hey I keep seeing references to a VRO-lite version on the forum but i cant see a link for it anywhere. Is the mod still available? I have FPS issues with VRO activated that I don't have in vanilla, cant seem to figure out why.

shovelmonkey
x4

Post by shovelmonkey » Thu, 7. Apr 22, 15:37

Ragemaster9999 wrote:
Thu, 7. Apr 22, 15:17
Hey I keep seeing references to a VRO-lite version on the forum but i cant see a link for it anywhere. Is the mod still available? I have FPS issues with VRO activated that I don't have in vanilla, cant seem to figure out why.
https://github.com/DeadAirRT/VRO
“Not even once has life or the weather complained about a human being.”
― Mokokoma Mokhonoana

Ragemaster9999
x4

Post by Ragemaster9999 » Thu, 7. Apr 22, 22:11

I'm getting as low as 20 fps in big fights with VRO and no performance issues whatsoever in vanilla.

Im not sure why, but its bugging the crap out of me. I have updated all graphics driver and even flashed my BIOS and updated my BIOS and the chipset drivers and still it CHUGS in VRO. Do I need a better CPU?

For reference here is my PC specs

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
32gig RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 2060 super
Windows 10 64-bit

Huillam
x4

Post by Huillam » Sat, 23. Apr 22, 07:14

I'm being fairly new to VRO (and if that matters until now didn't push that far into X4).
Could someone suggest me one the L combat ship available at 10 reputation? I did some try with an Hyperion but even a group of 2 M and 1 N proved to be a danger for that ship. In the three tries I did I won but at least one of the M would fire a missile and I'l lose half my shield and at 1 to 3 turrets in the process. For a ~15M investment that's disappointing.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sat, 23. Apr 22, 13:30

Ragemaster9999 wrote:
Thu, 7. Apr 22, 22:11
I'm getting as low as 20 fps in big fights with VRO and no performance issues whatsoever in vanilla.

Im not sure why, but its bugging the crap out of me. I have updated all graphics driver and even flashed my BIOS and updated my BIOS and the chipset drivers and still it CHUGS in VRO. Do I need a better CPU?

For reference here is my PC specs

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
32gig RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 2060 super
Windows 10 64-bit
Big battles can cause quite an fps drop, though, for me at least, it's not that much worse than vanilla. More obvious, perhaps, due to VRO (with the other mods I have) fielding far more ships than vanilla, and the battles seemingly more intense with more shots in the air at a given time.

The underlying issue is with the game engine. X4 really doesn't take good advantage of multiple CPU Cores/Threads, relying primarily on two dominant threads. This leads to one thread / Core being maxed out while others are under-utilised. X4 is one of those games that really likes very strong single-threaded performance for this reason. I have other games that are technically far heavier on the CPU (lots going on, like in X4) but as they do make good use of multiple threads I remain very much GPU limited with a GTX 1070. I.e. if I turned off vSync, the GPU would top out long before the CPU even broke a sweat.

I have a 3900X currently which plays everything I want really well, hitting GPU limited situations for which I just turn a few settings down to get the desired fps. The exception is X4, which remains very much CPU limited. I did actually debate replacing the 3900X with the new 5800X3D purely for this one game...I talked myself out of that though...for the time being.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Sun, 24. Apr 22, 20:30

Nexus is updated, but I still have trouble with Steam, it refuses to upload my files for some reason.

Patch 3.3.5
Important!
This is mostly polish of the 3.3 version made for ToA compatibility, DLC is now REQURIED for the mod to work!, if you want to use it without ToA, here is the previous version that will not be supported further.

- Fixed VRO missiles not having "closed loop" production methods
- Fixed ALI wharf in new DLC sectors missing internal shields for ships it sells (new game only)
- Fixed some ships in story or game starts missing internal shields (only if those ships were now built/spawned yet)
- Lowered sound of some weapons that were a bit too loud
- Removed X2 Titan ship, it was a bit out of place. It will be reused in future as relic ship.
- Updated new terran crusiers to the latest version from "Terran Cruisers" mod version and some prices adjusted. Other ships from the mod will not be part of VRO for now, but author planned to release them as separate mod.

Patch notes for 3.3 and 3.2 that were missing:
- Updated for 5.x of the game (3.2) and ToA DLC (3.3), all new ships balanced
- Old Paranid ships are fully removed, you wont be able to buy them from AI shipyards.
- Replaced Corona battleships with model form ArgonMatt
- Updated vanilla battleships, Deimos a bit faster +2 turrets, Fulmar a bit more HP +1 L turret, changed position of Fulmar turrets
- Lowered OOS damage of stations to be closer to IS
- Made most L turrets tracking speed lower
- Xenons now have new LX fighter-bomber with torpedoes

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 25. Apr 22, 13:26

Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

Malchar
x4

Post by Malchar » Mon, 25. Apr 22, 16:41

Good news for the update.

It s about a year I didnt played VRO. How are xenonsy now ? Still apathics and inepts, like at vanilla ?

Huillam
x4

Post by Huillam » Sat, 30. Apr 22, 02:24

Could someone tell me which is the missile used by the Xenon M?

Valhalla_Awaits
x4

Post by Valhalla_Awaits » Sat, 30. Apr 22, 10:38

Malchar wrote:
Mon, 25. Apr 22, 16:41

It s about a year I didnt played VRO. How are xenonsy now ? Still apathics and inepts, like at vanilla ?
They have better ship configurations now, though the capitals lost a lot of damage, they gained a lot of range and are more balanced. But yeah the A.I. is still dumb as hell, so you need another mod to make them actually stronger.

Malchar
x4

Post by Malchar » Sat, 30. Apr 22, 15:17

Valhalla_Awaits wrote:
Sat, 30. Apr 22, 10:38
Malchar wrote:
Mon, 25. Apr 22, 16:41

They have better ship configurations now, though the capitals lost a lot of damage, they gained a lot of range and are more balanced. But yeah the A.I. is still dumb as hell, so you need another mod to make them actually stronger.
Long range is however scrapped by inacurracy. Roughly it seems the xenons main turret is simply a castrated split fusion shock. It have a bit more range, but deal less damage. All of that fall apart with a low velocity (for its category) and quite horrible accuracy (an hidden details you can know only if you edit bullets macro files).
... But like it had been say, VRO goal is not to make xenons challenging from a strategic point of view, and may be not even in tactical combat.

Thanks for amswer, I played a lot VRO with X4 V3.xx and at the begining of V4.xx, I wanted to know haw it was with X4 V5.xx. Thanks for your answer.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”