[MOD] Encounters

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Moonrat
x4

Re: [MOD] Encounters

Post by Moonrat » Sat, 2. Jul 22, 23:19

*** New Release v1.3 ***

Compatibility

X4 5.1 HF3 (479084) - 2022-06-13
DLC - Split Vendetta
DLC - Terran Cradle of Humanity
DLC - Tides of Avarice[/color]

* * * V1.3 is available on NEXUS and the STEAM Workshop * * *

*** Encounters v1.3 onwards - Please note that within Inner Terran & Windfall/Avarice sectors, 'encounter' behaviour is more selective and sometimes removed altogether (this is to follow X4 lore) ***

V1.3
  • New : Tides of Avarice compatibility (adhering to X4 lore)
    New : AdSign objects
    Mod : Vessel encounter 33% uplift (due to 5.x game changes)
    Mod: Object encounter 20% uplift (due to 5.x game changes)
    Fix : Asteroid cluster populations reduced
Last edited by Moonrat on Mon, 4. Jul 22, 23:59, edited 2 times in total.
[ external image ]
IEX Download Statistics - LUVi / XRMi ( 3115 / 5415 )
X4 Crexit 324 ; X4 Encounters 3193 (STEAM Unique/Current 6341/3412)

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sun, 3. Jul 22, 09:56

Moonrat, the asteroids cluster populations reduction, should that improve performance of the game in asteroid heavy sectors? (that is when compaired with a vanilla game which has not seen this mod installed before)

Anyway regardless of your answer I am (for the first time since X4 was released) going to be modding the game, first mod to install will be this one because the game so badly needs an overhaul of encounters.

Encounters have always jarred the immersion experience for me, plus you have some nicely considered changes in this mod.

I especially like that you introduced Xenon as encounters, for us late gamers who mistakenly made them extinct I will be able to get drops I need from them again :)

Thank you for the effort put into this, very much appreciated.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Sun, 3. Jul 22, 11:09

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Sun, 3. Jul 22, 09:56
Moonrat, the asteroids cluster populations reduction, should that improve performance of the game in asteroid heavy sectors? (that is when compaired with a vanilla game which has not seen this mod installed before)
Anyway regardless of your answer I am (for the first time since X4 was released) going to be modding the game, first mod to install will be this one because the game so badly needs an overhaul of encounters.
Encounters have always jarred the immersion experience for me, plus you have some nicely considered changes in this mod.
I especially like that you introduced Xenon as encounters, for us late gamers who mistakenly made them extinct I will be able to get drops I need from them again :)
Thank you for the effort put into this, very much appreciated.
Hi, thanks for the nice comments. The asteroid reduction was just a minor change as sometimes I thought "Encounters" was generating slightly too many asteroids within "encounter" clusters. "Encounters" will not help I fear with the performance problem related to asteroid-heavy sectors. My script scans the forward area of travel for any other in-game objects and (aside from ship encounters) will not generate any new objects (including asteroids) if it finds stuff already nearby, including vanilla generated asteroids. I coded this as it didn't seem to make sense that on the return journey via explored space you'd suddenly find objects you'd mysteriously missed on the way out. And by way of function, it also helps in alleviating the load on your CPU/graphics card by not stressing them out even more by generating additional content within asteroid heavy regions of space.

The density of the in-game asteroid fields is set by the config files and the game itself. I was very conscious of creating too much stuff which might slow down the player's experience and I believe that current levels are probably about OK. If anything some players want even more frequent encounters (which can be done by changing values in my scripts) but I have to aim to try and please as many people as I can... an always somewhat difficult ask. :D

EDIT : The encounter ships are, like the vanilla game encounters mechanism, warped in from remote sectors using any job with an "encounter_id" attribute set. If Xenon ships disappear from the universe entirely late game then my script won't have any to utilise ... but I suspect that somewhere in the Universe there'll be some Xenon someplace ??
[ external image ]

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sun, 3. Jul 22, 12:08

Moonrat wrote:
Sun, 3. Jul 22, 11:09
Hi, thanks for the nice comments. The asteroid reduction was just a minor change as sometimes I thought "Encounters" was generating slightly too many asteroids within "encounter" clusters. "Encounters" will not help I fear with the performance problem related to asteroid-heavy sectors. My script scans the forward area of travel for any other in-game objects and (aside from ship encounters) will not generate any new objects (including asteroids) if it finds stuff already nearby, including vanilla generated asteroids. I coded this as it didn't seem to make sense that on the return journey via explored space you'd suddenly find objects you'd mysteriously missed on the way out. And by way of function, it also helps in alleviating the load on your CPU/graphics card by not stressing them out even more by generating additional content within asteroid heavy regions of space.

The density of the in-game asteroid fields is set by the config files and the game itself. I was very conscious of creating too much stuff which might slow down the player's experience and I believe that current levels are probably about OK. If anything some players want even more frequent encounters (which can be done by changing values in my scripts) but I have to aim to try and please as many people as I can... an always somewhat difficult ask. :D
:) Understood
EDIT : The encounter ships are, like the vanilla game encounters mechanism, warped in from remote sectors using any job with an "encounter_id" attribute set. If Xenon ships disappear from the universe entirely late game then my script won't have any to utilise ... but I suspect that somewhere in the Universe there'll be some Xenon someplace ??
Ah I see, will see what happens. At one point I whittled the Xenon down to one sector which I intended to confine them to .. But then the Paranid went in there with big stompy boots and finished them off. So now I see Xenon plots repeatedly trying to reestablish in just that one sector, but the Paranid are so invested in that sector they destroy all attempts of the Xenon to recover .. trouble for me is if I try to eliminate the Paranid from the area its really not a wise move :)
I might just be done with it and start a whole new game.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Realspace
x4

Encounters for big sectors

Post by Realspace » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 17:50

Hi Moonrat, hope you're reading this. First of all thanks for this important mod, it adds a missing layer to the game. In my XRSGE mod, Encounters is of paramount importance because I enlarged the sectors up to even 50.000kms and put derelicts far in the low orbit. So I was wondering how to fine-tune your mod to work at best in this large universe. I see these aspects:

1) Sectors are very large, so stations can be at 3000km of distance, while deep space as told is up to 50.000. What should be modified to make the script calculate the deep space for encouters in this new range?
2) my mod adds a second sector to each vanilla cluster + it adds tens of new clusters. Will Encounters work as default or does it need to have these new sectors added to a list?
3) any other thing correlated to large space that I did not think?
4) I wrote a different engine mod for the galaxy, where ships travel at high speed and have inertia, anything that needs to be changed for encounter ships such as spawning closer or matching the speed?

Of course it'd be great if you could write a version for the new galaxy, hope i don't ask too much :)
Greetings!
RS

Moonrat
x4

Re: Encounters for big sectors

Post by Moonrat » Sun, 2. Oct 22, 18:37

Realspace wrote:
Sat, 1. Oct 22, 17:50
Hi Moonrat, hope you're reading this. First of all thanks for this important mod, it adds a missing layer to the game. In my XRSGE mod, Encounters is of paramount importance because I enlarged the sectors up to even 50.000kms and put derelicts far in the low orbit.
Thank you for your very kind words, I am very pleased that you feel it "adds a missing layer to the game" as it was certainly one of the goals I was trying to achieve. :)

In answer to your questions...
Realspace wrote:
1) Sectors are very large, so stations can be at 3000km of distance, while deep space as told is up to 50.000. What should be modified to make the script calculate the deep space for encounters in this new range?
As far as I can recall there is no absolute value within the scripts which defines where deep space begins, this is typically derived from the game engine variable "player.sector.coresize" (this does not change regardless of how far out the player explores). Most un-modded vanilla sector core sizes are defined at anything between 400km -> 600km and so deepspace begins at half that value with encounters being generated starting at distances 300km from the sector center. If your new sector core sizes are much bigger than before, deepspace encounters should simply occur further out, but that's probably worth testing.

That's the good news out of the way... however, the types of encounters and the variability on the objects with increasing distance are based upon calculations using an absolute value. I did this so that there were greater rewards (and more danger) the further the player explored outward from the sector center plus also I tried to keep in mind what might fit with game "lore" (and common sense). At the mod's inception, I carried out some informal market research and it seemed most players only traveled a few thousand kilometers out and so I implemented (and tested) a phased distribution of encounter types and variance up to a maximum of 4,500km. If there are new sectors within your mod that are now effectively 100x the existing vanilla sector sizes (eg. the sector core size is 50,000km), my mod may only start to generate encounters at 25,000km. Although the encounters mod should function OK generating content and warping 'encounter' ships in, the encounters which might have occurred before 25,000km will be "lost" and all generated encounters will be way beyond anything I may have coded for.

All may not be lost however in that I could in theory change the relevant code to take account of what the defined 'player.sector.coresize' is and expand the distance values based on any increased size accordingly... but probably only in a later version. I have quite a lot of content in the pipeline I want to include (but real life is busy and so my free time is in short supply).
Realspace wrote:
2) my mod adds a second sector to each vanilla cluster + it adds tens of new clusters. Will Encounters work as default or does it need to have these new sectors added to a list?
My mod isn't too fussed with sectors or clusters except for the following due to lore reasons... Reductions of xeno encounters within most (but not all) Terran sectors and the ToA DLC sectors where other reductions occur. So if there are new sectors and clusters being added to the universe all existing sectors should be Ok, however any addition of new sectors to the Terran & ToA clusters will not be included in the exclude lists. There could in theory be a way to append these so that any new sectors you have added could be optionally included (again in a later version).
Realspace wrote:
3) any other thing correlated to large space that I did not think of?
Apart from below, I don't think so... but like all good mods, it should be tested for really ;)
Realspace wrote:
4) I wrote a different engine mod for the galaxy, where ships travel at high speed and have inertia, anything that needs to be changed for encounter ships such as spawning closer or matching the speed?
How much faster are ships now traveling?

The encounters ships are warped in are traveling at whatever speed they were when the mod grabbed them, so if they're at an increased high speed then they'll be at that same speed when they appear. On earlier versions, I received some feedback that ships using travel drives that were very fast encountered little or nothing when using the mod. This was primarily due to them whizzing through space so fast that anything generated was either only seen rapidly disappearing in the rearview mirror or that nothing appeared to be generated. I have already implemented some code that I believe helps mitigate ships traveling extremely fast by reducing the "sampling" time between encounters so that the probability of experiencing an encounter became greater, but there are limits on that. However, there is still the issue that ships traveling at a very, very high speed will simply whizz past anything generated by the 'Encounters' mod so fast you'll never see it, including warped ships. Large objects are often generated in space very distant to the player prior to being encountered (out of radar range) so that any modification to the object including operations like yaw, pitch and rolls have been completed before the player sees them. If a player ship is moving so fast it could be that these will then become visible and that would look odd.

Again I think it all comes back to how fast is "fast"?
[ external image ]

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sun, 2. Oct 22, 18:54

Thank you for the detailed answer. Ships are very fast, in the range of 5000-10000 for normal speeds and upto 20000 for travel. And there is inertia, so even if you wanto to stop it takes time, have to turn 180* and use afterburners. But they also have larger scanners, min 400km, given the speed and sector's size that makes a similar output as vanilla scanner in vanilla universe. I had an encounter at about 8000km from the center and it was generated by your mod I think, overwrites vanilla right? So it works, you have the time to see the enemy im time to engage. The enemy can't catch if you don't want but this happens regurlarly with any ship, given the high speed. But I also had some encounters in what is to be considered regular space, mean stations being still further. If it does not follow the general idea of encounters, that was based on a small space, I'd say this seems not wrong to happen in a large space as this. Yes that the mod seems to ignore the borders made by zones (generally max 2000km but there are zones close to low orbit much more). But these encounters don't seem out of place in a space so big.

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Sun, 2. Oct 22, 20:10

Realspace wrote:
Sun, 2. Oct 22, 18:54
Thank you for the detailed answer. Ships are very fast, in the range of 5000-10000 for normal speeds and upto 20000 for travel. And there is inertia, so even if you want to stop it takes time, have to turn 180* and use afterburners. But they also have larger scanners, min 400km, given the speed and sector's size that makes a similar output as a vanilla scanner in the vanilla universe. I had an encounter at about 8000km from the center and it was generated by your mod I think, overwrites vanilla right? So it works, you have the time to see the enemy in time to engage. The enemy can't catch you if you don't want but this happens regularly with any ship, given the high speed. But I also had some encounters in what is to be considered regular space, mean stations being still further. If it does not follow the general idea of encounters, that was based on a small space, I'd say this seems not wrong to happen in a large space as this. Yes that the mod seems to ignore the borders made by zones (generally max 2000km but there are zones close to low orbit much more). But these encounters don't seem out of place in a space so big.
Yes, unless something has changed for the worse it is the intention of my mod to a) completely replace the vanilla encounters system b) improve it and c) prevent any other mod from disabling 'encounters' as a "hidden" feature.

Seems to me that maybe not too much has to change as an initial compatibility pass to run Ok with much larger sectors. Maybe a re-base of the encounter object variation tying it to the sector size? I'd need a list of the new sector macros (eg. macro.cluster_500_sector001_macro for CoH & ToA sectors) to add to any exclude lists (plus the sunlight factor as I use that also). After that, some more testing might be required, I suspect that at the moment some encounters I have created simply won't appear... I'll try and sneak some changes to ensure as much compatibility with your expanded universe as I can. I'll try and remember to let you know when these (vanilla/expanded) changes occur so you and others can feedback on what you experience.

NOTE : It'd be interesting also how 'encounters' has been behaving inside the SW universe and with VRO?
[ external image ]

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 3. Oct 22, 10:33

Yes there are 002 sectors for each vanilla, included the ones you set as excluded, aka 501_002, 502_002 and 503_002 should be added too. About terran sectors, I "compacted" the solar system so now cluster_100, cluster_116 and cluster_110 are used in Segaris system or Farnham's legend system. While the other terran sectors would also need the addition of 002 to exclusion. That's all...but what would be reaaaaly nice to add is some event triggering very far away, such as missions.

I know vanilla players rarely adventure very far, but players using XRSGE mod are more like me, they want some more exploration/mystery added to the empire management game. I recreated entire regions that cover 100.000kms such as a lot of ringed giants having real rings (as Saturn in vanilla) or gas giants that are quite far but if you travel to low orbit will find atmosphere, gas, and resources. Added broken moons where you have to travel some thousand kms to get inside and fine plenty of resources. And not last, I added many solar sectors, i.e. the core of each system having a sun and sun corona with plenty of helium etc. In my previous version I also added radiation regions you had to cross inside the corona but they seem to be bugged, caused a lot of stuttering in the game even if in small sizes, so had to remove them. But here, close to the sun it'd be nice to put some special events. I added some secret gate, connecting two suns and Xenons or Khaak hidden bases

I encourage the player to explore also by putting many derelicts very far, generally close to low orbit (gravity..). So imagine having other mechanisms such as special missions or special encounters...yet another layer of deepness to gameplay :mrgreen:

But it is beyond my capacity for now, I spent months learning the galaxy building up to when I finally feel to almost master any aspect (except those damn superhighways that don't activate as should :doh:), I don't know when will I do the same for scripting but know that this other layer would make XRSGE mod an even greater experience just now as it is. I refused to play vanilla galaxy upto now, imagine, I waited years because immersion in space games is everything :D

edit: forgot about sunlight...I can't append the mapdefaults here, it is too big. Anyway they follow the same rule for any system, aka very strong in core sectors (Suns 5x) upt to very low in external sectors (last planets, ore belts: 0.3x). In mod's mapdefaults you'll find them listed either from external to core or viceversa

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 14:31

*** New Release v1.4 ***

Compatibility

DLC - Split Vendetta

* * * V1.4 is available on NEXUS and the STEAM Workshop * * *

*** Encounters v1.3 onwards - Please note that within Inner Terran & Windfall/Avarice sectors, 'encounter' behavior is more selective and sometimes removed altogether (this is to follow X4 lore) ***

v1.4
  • New : New sector defence jobs - local allied forces now interdict (more as player's reputation drops)
    New : Advanced missile munitions added to some station and ship encounters (EMP, Smart, etc)
    New : New vanilla wares added to re-worked crate ware lists
    New : Tide of Averice specific wares added to crate ware lists
    New : Debris/Wrecks now have scrap yields based on the size & local sector economy
    New : Paranid object & ship encounters now accurately reflect the state of Trinity unification (or not)
    New : Increased Khaak ship encounters with deepspace distance
    Mod : Reworked balancing of crate wares between encounter categories (trader/military/criminal)
    Mod : Sector economy level now influences the type of defence base present
    Mod : AdSign spawns are now affected by sector economy level
    Mod : Increased AdSign chance near spawned station objects (x2)
    Mod : Encounters for high-speed player ships rebalanced
    Mod : Lockbox association added for minefield & probes (low probability)
    Mod : Better relationship between object sub-types & wares with fading sector Security/Economy levels
    Mod : Reduced distance of detection which blocks new object creation (-25%)
    Mod : Warped encounter ship distance filter increased to prevent repeat encounters (+100%)
    Mod : Existing crate object selection is now based on sector size, not radar
    Mod : Reduced large wreck probability (-25%)
    Mod : Non-Terran ships no longer spawn within Terran inner core sectors
    Mod : Increased encounter ship aggression to players with negative sector owner relationship
    Mod : Small performance improvements
    Fix : Full range of AdSigns is now available
    Fix : Mining ship encounters within sectors without resources no longer occur (excluding resource scouts)
    Fix : Object ownership in unclaimed & player sectors corrected to have neighbouring race alignment only
    Fix : AdSigns are no longer generated within Khaak, Xenon or ownerless sectors
    Fix : Ensure all minefields & defence grids contain at least one weapon object
    Fix : Corrected "minus" probability error for Outposts
    Fix : Game startup errors (lookup errors for non-existent variables)
    Fix : Fixed errors in the log associated with Lockbox spawns
[ external image ]

shovelmonkey
x4

Post by shovelmonkey » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 14:55

Moonrat wrote:
Mon, 5. Dec 22, 14:31

New : New sector defence jobs - local allied forces now interdict (more as player's reputation drops)
Curious on this one. Does this mean allied ships will respond to player ships being attacked by hostiles, ie miner being targeted by pirates / khaak / xenon in a friendly sector? Or is this only hostile NPC's interdicting you in their sectors?
“Not even once has life or the weather complained about a human being.”
― Mokokoma Mokhonoana

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 15:47

shovelmonkey wrote:
Mon, 5. Dec 22, 14:55
Moonrat wrote:
Mon, 5. Dec 22, 14:31
New : New sector defence jobs - local allied forces now interdict (more as player's reputation drops)
Curious on this one. Does this mean allied ships will respond to player ships being attacked by hostiles, ie miner being targeted by pirates / khaak / xenon in a friendly sector? Or is this only hostile NPC's interdicting you in their sectors?
If you as a player have a negative reputation with the sector owner and you are flying in "deep space", then there is a chance that you will be interdicted by a local sector defence force (or one of their allies). The new encounter functionality does not in any way provide a rapid reaction force to protect your assets from attacks by others. If anything it is to the contrary. The intention is that if you are personally operating as an "unfriendly" in another sector belonging to a faction you have upset in someway then you will start to experience unwelcome attention from local police, defence forces & bounty hunters no matter how far you have flown into deep space to hide from them. The more negative your reputation with the sector owners, the more likely their allies, police and mercenaries are to hunt you down and take action against you. :D

NOTE: As per the vanilla system, the "encounters" mechanism only ever affects your personal ship, other assets you have working for you around the Universe are unaffected... unless of course they are flying with you when the cops turn up !!
[ external image ]

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 21:47

is this compatible with VRO mod?
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 22:23

Buzz2005 wrote:
Mon, 5. Dec 22, 21:47
is this compatible with VRO mod?
I'd like to think "Encounters" is compatible with "VRO" but I can never be 100% sure. I've tried to ensure other mods don't disable "Encounters" as a side-effect or conversely that "Encounters" doesn't cause trouble to other mods, but the only way I'll know is if people find it doesn't harmoniously co-exist. There are literally hundreds of mods out there to test compatibility against let alone the different permutations...

Over the past year or so "Encounters" has now had several thousand downloads and I suspect a fair few of its' fans also run VRO but I've never heard of any complaints. Please try and use it with VRO and see what happens. :)
[ external image ]

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 22:50

the thing is you add stuff like

"New : Advanced missile munitions added to some station and ship encounters (EMP, Smart, etc)"

but VRO has whole new missiles from vanilla

or

"Mod : Encounters for high-speed player ships rebalanced"

and VRO ships have different speeds then vanilla
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 00:51

Buzz2005 wrote:
Mon, 5. Dec 22, 22:50
the thing is you add stuff like
"New : Advanced missile munitions added to some station and ship encounters (EMP, Smart, etc)"
but VRO has whole new missiles from vanilla

or
"Mod : Encounters for high-speed player ships rebalanced"
and VRO ships have different speeds then vanilla
Missiles
Unless VRO removes vanilla missile wares from the game entirely it should not be an issue. If it adds new missiles these will not be included (and "Encounters" will still be compatible). Looking at the VRO "wares.xml" file it seems VRO modifies attributes of vanilla missiles but does not remove them, so "Encounters" should continue to be compatible.

Engines
There is no hardcoded engine speed or engine macros within "Encounters" only a speed envelope which I have tested against and coded some adjustments for higher engine speeds to adjust probabilities of encounters.

I have done some quick analysis comparing vanilla and the modified VRO engine speeds. It seems that VRO has typically raised engine speeds by only 15%-30% with a few over that. Typically 80% (57) continue to be below the lower threshold I have used for testing (so no issue), whilst a further 10% (7) are between that and the upper threshold. 90% of ship engines are therefore within what I have stress-tested "Encounters" with and only 10%, which translates to just 7 drives, are faster than what I tested for. This doesn't include VRO-specific drives for which no vanilla comparison is possible. At faster speeds "Encounters" will still work but the ships will be traveling so fast that anything which is generated will flash by in an instant... just like it would in space. Travel really, really fast then everything just becomes a blur as you whizz past rendering any generated content largely irrelevant.

STEAM "Encounters" is presently sitting at 99% positive ratings with 3,243 current subscribers and v1.3 on NEXUS had just short of 900 unique downloads. With the popularity of VRO and the very large number of downloads "Encounters" has had I am guessing that the number of VRO+Encounter users must be more than a few? I have not had any feedback so far which gives me great cause to believe that running "Encounters" with VRO is an issue. After a year or more I can't think of any VRO-related negative feedback... Please test and let me know.
[ external image ]

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Tue, 3. Jan 23, 23:41

*** New Release v1.4.1 ***

Compatibility

DLC - Split Vendetta

* * * V1.4.1 is available on NEXUS and the STEAM Workshop * * *

*** Encounters v1.3 onwards - Please note that within Inner Terran & Windfall/Avarice sectors, 'encounter' behavior is more selective and sometimes removed altogether (this is to follow X4 lore) ***

v1.4.1
  • New : Race & faction specific names for outposts and some other objects
    Mod : Scaled ranges replace absolute values for object encounter calculations (for better variance & large core sector sizes)
    Mod : Better handling for increased ship radar ranges
    Mod : Better handling for very large assets to reduce visual "popping"
    Fix : Vessel encounters for existing games function as before (a problem introduced in v1.4)
    Fix : Fixed error related to warped subordinate vessels
    Fix : A few minor errors were observed on occasion in the error log

As always, I am happy to hear feedback on what others think when I ponder what should be changed (or not). Please let me know of any issues. The race/faction names are provisional in places - if people think they might have better names please drop me a note. The changes associated with radar range and core sector size processing should in theory behave almost as before with vanilla games but it should improve the experience for modified values used within other mods such as X4RSGE.
[ external image ]

Reisser
x4

Post by Reisser » Mon, 13. Feb 23, 16:29

A question about the mod: could the script have anything to do with this:
A fatal error has occurd and the game cannot revover. Exit code: 1119 Failed to compile shader "shadergl\high_spec\xu_particles"

Version 5.10 - Code revision 479084
I admit, the probability is not high. But my last problem-free save is 150 hours old. Then I started again, kept the existing mods, updated a few of them and only 5 mods are completely new.

Encounters was the only one that was a bit more complex (the others were paintjobs and station management, little chance of it having anything to do with the shader)

After 7 hours I was at a data vault quite far outside the sector center when the game suddenly became very jerky to the point of being unplayable. Until then even the above error message came and ended with acknowledgment X4.

After loading an older save, I removed all new mods (including Encounters). The current memory status then has 12 hours and it remains quiet.

I'm now looking for the reason. Does Encounters bring anything Particle related? A mod that caused problems for other players was "Fire & Smoke" - but I never installed it.
Meine Mods bei NexusMods: RS Loss Report RS Bribe for Scandata RS Colors RS Marine Special Training
Meine Mod-Collection bei NexusMods: X4 VRO Reloaded

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Wed, 15. Feb 23, 00:04

At the present time I think it is highly unlikely that "Encounters" is the root cause as it does not introduce any new shaders or particles (to my knowledge) to the game. I have also not received any error reports such as yours before so again I think the probability that "Encounters" is to blame is low... if you have evidence which might suggest otherwise please let me know.
[ external image ]

Reisser
x4

Post by Reisser » Wed, 15. Feb 23, 09:48

I don't think so either and just wanted to know if Encounters does anything with the shader/particle system. I don't have any other graphics mods. Possibly VRO (the description of everything that has been changed is difficult to get here, a real miracle box) could still be involved.

From a certain point of troubleshooting (the save was really unplayable) one grasps at straws. I don't even dare to go to the data vault where it all started :P ... and that's definitely nonsense :)
At least the game is running smoothly again so far - and I hope it stays that way.
Meine Mods bei NexusMods: RS Loss Report RS Bribe for Scandata RS Colors RS Marine Special Training
Meine Mod-Collection bei NexusMods: X4 VRO Reloaded

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”