[MOD] XPANed Sectors

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Aranov
x4

[MOD] XPANed Sectors

Post by Aranov » Sat, 3. Aug 19, 21:52

Mod I've been sitting on for half a year, I'm finally ready to release.
Adds about 10 new sectors, made as best I could manage.

I may release it on Steam if there's no problems, so far things have been looking good.
Mod is currently unpacked.
Nexus description as follows:
Spoiler
Show
Dissatisfied with the number of sectors a player could build their empire in, I set out to create some.
After sitting on this mod for some time I am confident enough in it to release for others to enjoy.

Adding the following:
The Prometheus System, Divided into I, II, III and IV
Badlands Colony
Tartarus
Rising Solitude
Gunne's Crusade
Artemis
The Aphrodite's Storm System, Divided into I, II, III

All have decent values of resources, but not necessarily all resources.
AI will take advantage of said Sectors for mining, and will fly through them, but not at high priority unless there's a stop in the new regions.

Stations in the Images were built by me during gameplay.
AI MAY build new stations in the Sectors on old save games, but on new saves will definitely start with stations in the Sectors.

I am in no way able to guarantee compatibility with future patches and DLC. The issue being if Egosoft puts new sectors in the same place.
So maybe backup your old saves.

Gates to the new sectors can be found in:
Silent Witness XI, leading to Prometheus I.
Heretics End, leading to Aphrodite's Storm.
Nopileos's Fortune, leading to Tartarus.

No preexsiting Gates were modified.
See link for images and map showing the sectors.
Nexus Link

teleportationwars

Re: [MOD] XPANed Sectors

Post by teleportationwars » Sat, 3. Aug 19, 23:16

DId you make new sector art or is it all vanilla?

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sun, 4. Aug 19, 12:43

Oh crap. That's very nice. Cant wait to try it out.

Aranov
x4

Post by Aranov » Sun, 4. Aug 19, 14:58

So, update. It was brought to my attention there's a mod by one J.L. on the Steam Workshop called X Universe+ that conflicts with my mod.
Looks great, and I'm a sucker for new sectors, So I'll be releasing an update later today hopefully to resolve the issues.
Namely:
First, we both used the name "Badlands Colony". Already fixed, I changed the one added by my mod to "Adventure's Promise"
Second, adding his mod to my save broke my gate in Heretics End. Already fixed, game engine didn't like two gates in the same zone.

Biggest issue, his sector of Omikron Alpha is located on the same grid hexagon as Prometheus I.
Was looking into releasing a patch for his mod, but X4 loads cat files over loose files in the extension folder it seems, at least with Steam Workshop mods.
Don't really want to move Prometheus I, as it's a part of a system, but I'm not seeing a mechanical reason I can't.
I'll think on it and experiment, and figure something out. Likely just gonna move Pro I.
Next release will also have a version packed in a cat file.
teleportationwars wrote:
Sat, 3. Aug 19, 23:16
DId you make new sector art or is it all vanilla?
I THINK it's vanilla, just rearranged with some texture swaps. Been awhile since I did work on it.
I believe there is a planet with a new appearance, a lava/volcano in Tartarus, but I recall that most being xml magic.

Vectorial1024
x4

Post by Vectorial1024 » Tue, 6. Aug 19, 15:24

Hey there

Just came to this forum after browsing Nexus, and I gotta say, your mod looks really nice! (And I have more sectors to conquer... gotta suppress my map-painting OCD lol)

Anyways, a pro-tip:

You can apply patches on another extension!

Suppose you want to apply a patch onto

Code: Select all

/that_other_mod/libraries/map.xml
. What you do, in your mod, is to create the file

extensions/that_other_mod/libraries/map.xml
in your mod directory. (Of course, those "/" represents folder layers.) And then you can use your usual XML patching technique inside your map.xml to declare patches so the game applies them onto that_other_mod.

Oh, and add something like

silent="1"
inside your patches to prevent the game from complaining when the end user does not have that_other_mod installed. (Memory a bit hazy on this part, gotta check the details yourself.)

EDIT: It seems there's a problem with your mod - the Vortex mod manager (from the Nexus team) could not unpack your mod. It simply outputted an empty folder. Perhaps you didn't pack the folder correctly?
The future awaits.

X4 Foundations mods:
Civilian Fleets: Managing your civilian ships has never been easier.
Station Logistics: Managing your station networks has never been easier.
Scrap Delivery Coordination: No more starving scrap processors.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Wed, 7. Aug 19, 07:22

I'd love to give this a spin, however it doesn't load on GNU/Linux due to a case-sensitivity bug in the game engine. Any chance you might consider some renaming?

Aranov
x4

Post by Aranov » Wed, 7. Aug 19, 13:55

steve_v wrote:
Wed, 7. Aug 19, 07:22
I'd love to give this a spin, however it doesn't load on GNU/Linux due to a case-sensitivity bug in the game engine. Any chance you might consider some renaming?
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, uploading the new version as I type this. Let me know is there are any issues.

In other news, I should be able to update the mod for compatibility with DLC, barring any unforeseen changes. Seeing as moving "Prometheus I" was so easy.

EDIT: Also, this time the mod should be packed correctly, Big screw up there, sorry about that. Was just the cat and content files before, forgot 7z won't put them in a folder unless you tell it to.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 7. Aug 19, 19:11

Hey! Could you help me with the location of the new gate in Heretic's End? I just can't seem to find it.

Vectorial1024
x4

Post by Vectorial1024 » Wed, 7. Aug 19, 19:19

A big problem.

In your code, you are referencing everything using the path "extensions\xpan\[...]". However, the folder that I got from Nexus Vortex is named "xpansectors1". This means that nothing is loaded.

You should rename your folder back to "xpan" when you pack the mod, or rename everything inside your mod to use "xpansectors1". Either way should work.
The future awaits.

X4 Foundations mods:

Aranov
x4

Post by Aranov » Wed, 7. Aug 19, 21:29

Vectorial1024 wrote:
Wed, 7. Aug 19, 19:19
A big problem.

In your code, you are referencing everything using the path "extensions\xpan\[...]". However, the folder that I got from Nexus Vortex is named "xpansectors1". This means that nothing is loaded.

You should rename your folder back to "xpan" when you pack the mod, or rename everything inside your mod to use "xpansectors1". Either way should work.
Odd that's happening, but thank you for telling me. The folder I packed was just "xpan". Only reference to "xpansectors1" was in the content.xml, Maybe Vortex is reading that? I've never used it. I'll try rolling out a new update.
repatomonor wrote:
Wed, 7. Aug 19, 19:11
Hey! Could you help me with the location of the new gate in Heretic's End? I just can't seem to find it.
Quick Image from Nexus, Let me know you want one of the actual gate. I realize the location images aren't that great.
But first check that the others work, If you're using Vortex it may have messed up last version.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Wed, 7. Aug 19, 21:38

Aranov wrote:
Wed, 7. Aug 19, 13:55
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, uploading the new version as I type this. Let me know is there are any issues.
No, thank you. Another awesome mod for me to play with. :D

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Thu, 8. Aug 19, 12:40

I grabbed XPAN .4 from nexus, and though it doesn't appear to be throwing any errors and it shows up in the extensions menu, there are no new sectors that I can find.
I've poked around rather a lot, both manually and with slan's cheat menu, in both an existing and a new save. No new sectors, no new gates, existing inactive gates are inactive.

On unpacking the .dat, I see there are still a bunch of CamelCase file and directory names, as well as references to them in macros.xml... In fact it looks like exactly the same layout as the unpacked version I first tried.
According to a post at the end of page 2 in the thread I linked you, names in packed mods are subject to the same case-sensitivity issues as unpacked mods.
I'll run it through some bash/sed and see if unpacking + renaming + fixing macros.xml gets it working.

---
Ed. Unpacking and renaming files/directories + changing references in macros.xml seems to do the trick. I see your sectors, and raise you my changes:
Spoiler
Show

Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan01_data
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN01_data
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan01.xml
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN01.xml
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan02_data
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN02_data
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan02.xml
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN02.xml
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan03_data
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN03_data
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan03.xml
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN03.xml
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan04_data
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN04_data
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan04.xml
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN04.xml
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan05_data
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN05_data
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan05.xml
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN05.xml
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan06_data
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN06_data
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan06.xml
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN06.xml
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan07_data
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN07_data
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan07.xml
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN07.xml
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan08_data
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN08_data
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan08.xml
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN08.xml
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan09_data
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN09_data
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan09.xml
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN09.xml
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan10_data
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN10_data
Only in xpan/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterxpan10.xml
Only in xpan_orig/assets/environments/cluster: xpan_clusterXPAN10.xml
diff -rud xpan_orig/index/macros.xml xpan/index/macros.xml
--- xpan_orig/index/macros.xml	2019-08-08 22:48:58.000000000 +1200
+++ xpan/index/macros.xml	2019-08-08 22:44:42.837516669 +1200
@@ -1,23 +1,23 @@
 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
 <index>
   <!-- xpangalaxy -->
-  <entry name="xpan_galaxy_macro" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\galaxy"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_cluster*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_clusters"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan01_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan02_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan03_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan04_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan05_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan06_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan07_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan08_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan09_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan10_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_zone*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_zones"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_shcon*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_zones" />
-  <entry name="xpan_superhighway*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_sechighways"/>
-  <entry name="xpan_highway*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\XU_ep2_universe\xpan_zonehighways"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_galaxy_macro" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\galaxy"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_cluster*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_clusters"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan01_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan02_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan03_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan04_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan05_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan06_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan07_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan08_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan09_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_clusterxpan10_sector*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_sectors"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_zone*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_zones"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_shcon*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_zones" />
+  <entry name="xpan_superhighway*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_sechighways"/>
+  <entry name="xpan_highway*" value="extensions\xpan\maps\xu_ep2_universe\xpan_zonehighways"/>

<entry name="tcluster_xpan01_macro" value="extensions\xpan\assets\environments\cluster\macros\tcluster_xpan01_macro"/>
   <entry name="tcluster_xpan10_macro" value="extensions\xpan\assets\environments\cluster\macros\tcluster_xpan10_macro"/>
-</index>
\ No newline at end of file
+</index>
Only in xpan/maps: xu_ep2_universe
Only in xpan_orig/maps: XU_ep2_universe
Only in xpan/md: setup_xpan.xml
Only in xpan_orig/md: Setup_XPAN.xml
I don't know enough about X4 modding to tell whether these matter, but I'm still seeing a couple of xpan-related warnings in my log:

Duplicate cue name ActivateGate_Wait in MD script extensions\xpan\md\setup_xpan.xml, line 52
Duplicate cue name ActivateGate_Wait in MD script extensions\xpan\md\setup_xpan.xml, line 75
Invalid yield variation in region definition 'xpan01_sector01_field' - must be a fraction between 0 and 1. Clamping to valid range.
----
Ed. But wait, there's more. On entering one of the new sectors I get this:

[Mesh::Mesh] could not find a valid meshsource for mesh extensions\xpan\assets\environments\cluster\xpan_clusterxpan02_data\sphere001-lod0.xmf!
AssetManager::GetAssetIntern() invalid handle(255:16777215)
The file mentioned is indeed absent, but again I know zilch about X4 modding.
Poking it with a stick, i.e. copying:

xpan/assets/environments/cluster/xpan_clusterxpan01_data/sphere001-collision.xmf
xpan/assets/environments/cluster/xpan_clusterxpan01_data/sphere001-lod0.xmf
to:

xpan/assets/environments/cluster/xpan_clusterxpan02_data/
Makes the errors go away :)

Vectorial1024
x4

Post by Vectorial1024 » Fri, 9. Aug 19, 07:05

steve_v wrote:
Thu, 8. Aug 19, 12:40
----
Ed. But wait, there's more. On entering one of the new sectors I get this:

[Mesh::Mesh] could not find a valid meshsource for mesh extensions\xpan\assets\environments\cluster\xpan_clusterxpan02_data\sphere001-lod0.xmf!
AssetManager::GetAssetIntern() invalid handle(255:16777215)
The file mentioned is indeed absent, but again I know zilch about X4 modding.
Poking it with a stick, i.e. copying:

xpan/assets/environments/cluster/xpan_clusterxpan01_data/sphere001-collision.xmf
xpan/assets/environments/cluster/xpan_clusterxpan01_data/sphere001-lod0.xmf
to:

xpan/assets/environments/cluster/xpan_clusterxpan02_data/
Makes the errors go away :)
Please... don't do that... Maybe that's just a leftover placeholder that the author forgot to remove (there can be many things to handle). That really didn't help with solving the problem, just hiding it. What if those files are supposed to be absent? What if it's a typo? (Everything is "xpan01" but this one is "xpan02"? Hard to believe.)

Don't do things uninformed...
The future awaits.

X4 Foundations mods:

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Fri, 9. Aug 19, 07:23

Vectorial1024 wrote:
Fri, 9. Aug 19, 07:05
Please... don't do that... Maybe that's just a leftover placeholder that the author forgot to remove (there can be many things to handle). That really didn't help with solving the problem, just hiding it. What if those files are supposed to be absent? What if it's a typo?
Oh FFS. The game complains about missing files, I put them where it's looking, it stops complaining. So what if it's "meant" to be absent, if Aranov wants to dig deeper the errors are presented in my post verbatim. That's why I reported them rather than just saying "I fixed it".
If Aranov has a problem with me tinkering with his mod, for my own private use, then Aranov can hit me up about it. What exactly does any of this have to do with you again?
Vectorial1024 wrote:
Fri, 9. Aug 19, 07:05
What are you, the IT police? I'll do whatever I damn well like on my own machine thanks.
If you have something constructive to add, like maybe identifying that typo you suggest is in there, please do so. Otherwise, kindly leave me alone.

If this is the kind of condescending reply I get when I burn my precious time reporting bugs and fixing filenames in someone else's mod, I'm not sure I'll bother in future.

teleportationwars

Post by teleportationwars » Fri, 9. Aug 19, 07:45

That attitude is so bad that I went through the trouble of extracting his files (please include loose files versions in your releases) to point out how crazy it is.

Constructive feedback is the core of any modding community.

The mod version number is really low. Looking at the files, Aranov made a few mistakes, and steve_v was kind enough to give it a look and point them out. Not that it has any bearing on my point but steve_v was correct.

Aranov, you don't need the md. Here is an example of a bunch of space. https://github.com/mewosmith/Teleportat ... ar_release

If you wanted to see your sectors you might have an easier time using

<find_gate groupname="$Set_Known" space="player.galaxy" multiple="true"/>
                <do_all exact="$Set_Known.count" counter="$i">
                    <set_known object="$Set_Known.{$i}" known="true"/> 
                    <set_known object="$Set_Known.{$i}.zone" known="true"/>
                    <set_known object="$Set_Known.{$i}.sector" known="true"/>
                    <set_known object="$Set_Known.{$i}.cluster" known="true"/> 
                </do_all>

Aranov
x4

Post by Aranov » Fri, 9. Aug 19, 14:18

Just wanted to chime in, I'm fine with privately used edits, especially if there are errors preventing the mod from working at this early stage.
I may not be able to help with those edits, or debug any future issues caused by said edits, but if you have the knowledge to make them, that is fine.

In the case for this mesh, It maybe a left over from when I was messing around trying to customize the planet appearances.
I'll remove the MD in a future update, was wondering if it was really needed.

Steve_V, I'm sorry for the issues you found, and thank you for taking time to look into them. I'll take a deeper look this weekend.

As for loose files, I can provide them, with the next update. My issue with loose files however is the debuglog screaming about missing .sig files.
I assume those are "signature" files, used by the game for the modified tag.

And to everyone, I apologize for any issues. Things worked well enough for me, but there's always another error around the corner.
I'm not going to be able to address things today, working on a project with a deadline, but as I said this weekend I'll comb out as many issues as I can.

Vectorial1024
x4

Post by Vectorial1024 » Fri, 9. Aug 19, 16:05

While we wait for further updates, I'd like to suggest something: to use GitHub (or GitLab?) to store the loose files, and to provide the catalog files as the front-end release files.

This way, users can load the files without the sig file error messages (supposedly), and interested people like us can just go to the repo and skip the unpack processes.

That's how I do it with my mods anyway.
The future awaits.

X4 Foundations mods:

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Fri, 9. Aug 19, 17:32

Aranov wrote:
Fri, 9. Aug 19, 14:18
Steve_V, I'm sorry for the issues you found, and thank you for taking time to look into them. I'll take a deeper look this weekend.
No need for any apologies, I'm grateful for the free shiny. :)
The only issue that actually causes any problems in-game (at least on GNU/Linux) is a stupidly easy to fix packaging SNAFU anyway.

Aranov wrote:
My issue with loose files however is the debuglog screaming about missing .sig files.
I assume those are "signature" files, used by the game for the modified tag.
I know, right? I don't know what clown at egosoft decided to treat the modding community to this error-spew. Probably the same who thought utterly broken handling of case-sensitive filesystems was "good enough". :roll:

And yes, that's exactly what they are. Why those errors couldn't be suppressed in favour of just printing "file not signed, save will be marked modified" at game-startup is beyond me. GNU sed on the cleanup crew as usual.

Aranov wrote:
I'm not going to be able to address things today, working on a project with a deadline, but as I said this weekend I'll comb out as many issues as I can.
No rush, it's working fine.

Vectorial1024
x4

Post by Vectorial1024 » Fri, 9. Aug 19, 19:44

--- Message Retracted ---
Original Message
Show
steve_v wrote:
Fri, 9. Aug 19, 17:32
I know, right? I don't know what clown at egosoft decided to treat the modding community to this error-spew. Probably the same who thought utterly broken handling of case-sensitive filesystems was "good enough".

And yes, that's exactly what they are. Why those errors couldn't be suppressed in favour of just printing "file not signed, save will be marked modified" at game-startup is beyond me. GNU sed on the cleanup crew as usual.
Well I'd be damn well satisfied when I am allowing any pair of cat/dat files for loading and when I never checked them. Security sure is something easily expendable and unimportant for the modern 2019 folks. Who cares when somehow the packing goes wrong and the file goes corrupted, and got loaded into weird machine code, potentially deleting /System32 and wiping the entire Windows file system? It's the end user's fault anyway, they must have been downloading strange mods from strange places.

Just a note: in X Rebirth, EgoSoft loaded mod files that are not packed in cat/dat pairs without spewing any errors. I guess not knowing the dangers behind signature files sure is truly blissful for everyone, including the developers themselves.

Oh god. Why.
Spoiler
Show
sarcasm lol h8ers gon h8
Last edited by Vectorial1024 on Fri, 9. Aug 19, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
The future awaits.

X4 Foundations mods:

teleportationwars

Post by teleportationwars » Fri, 9. Aug 19, 20:30

Vectorial1024 wrote:
Fri, 9. Aug 19, 19:44
steve_v wrote:
Fri, 9. Aug 19, 17:32
I know, right? I don't know what clown at egosoft decided to treat the modding community to this error-spew. Probably the same who thought utterly broken handling of case-sensitive filesystems was "good enough".

Well I'd be damn well satisfied when I am allowing any pair of cat/dat files for loading and when I never checked them. Security sure is something easily expendable and unimportant for the modern 2019 folks. Who cares when somehow the packing goes wrong and the file goes corrupted, and got loaded into weird machine code, potentially deleting /System32 and wiping the entire Windows file system? It's the end user's fault anyway, they must have been downloading strange mods from strange places.

Just a note: in X Rebirth, EgoSoft loaded mod files that are not packed in cat/dat pairs without spewing any errors. I guess not knowing the dangers behind signature files sure is truly blissful for everyone, including the developers themselves.

Oh god. Why.
Spoiler
Show
sarcasm lol h8ers gon h8
Pretty sure you have completely misunderstood what a sig error is. What's with that spoiler?

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”