[MOD] Landlord - Station Upkeep and Taxes

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

ShiBDiB
x4

[MOD] Landlord - Station Upkeep and Taxes

Post by ShiBDiB » Fri, 10. Apr 20, 00:26

Confirmed compatible with 3.X
Savegame friendly (adding and removal)

THIS IS IN TESTING AND IS NOT YET BALANCED OR 100% CONFIRMED WORKING. PLEASE REPORT BUGS!!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2053746937
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/428

Description

Does the fact that highly complex stations can exist with no maintenance bug you? Do you think that the faction letting you host a station in their space might actually want to make some money off of you? Do you just want you game to be more "realistic"?

This mod adds taxes and upkeep fees to your stations that you pay at an hourly rate. (And more to come!)

Features

- Taxes based on your diplomatic relations with the controlling faction. (Unclaimed sectors and your own sectors don't have any taxes)
NEW - Collect taxes from NPC stations in your sectors
Tax rates are based on current cost of that plot.
Enemy 8%
Neutral 4%
Friendly 2%
Member 1.25%

- Maintenance fees based on the size of your station.
Production modules cost between 500 and 1000
Hab modules between 1500 and 2000
Cargo modules between 200 and 400
Piers between 1000 and 1500
Shipyards between 2000 and 2500
Wharf between 1000 and 1500

- Fail to pay your taxes? Expect your relations to decrease with the owning nation.

- Fail to pay maintenance fees? Chance you structure may breakdown and stop production.

Changelog

Code: Select all

1.0 - Initial Release
1.1 - Balance pass
1.2 - Relationship bug fixed
1.3 - Tax collection for the player added
1.4 - BETA Release to work on tax collection bugs
1.5 - Tax collection fixed
1.6 - Add more detail to the tax collection log entry
1.7 - The first payment collection is delayed an hour to prevent bankrupting new starts right out of the gate
Last edited by ShiBDiB on Wed, 22. Apr 20, 02:57, edited 11 times in total.
-----
My Mods
Go Home Drone, Reaction Force, Disable Story, Pay The Builder, Landlord, Training Exercise
Github with the latest (Unstable) Versions
Nexus Page
Steam Workshop Page

Max Bain
x3ap

Re: [MOD] Landlord - Station Upkeep and Taxes

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 10. Apr 20, 01:30

That is a very great idea.

You might know the mod getting paid already.
I think a combination of both mods would be perfect if well done, because one part I miss in getting paid is that only the managers on stations cost salaries but you can manage a mega complex with just one manager. So if each module costs upkeep depending on the sized, it cant be exploited and makes more sense because in rl you cant run a huge station without repairs, food and so on.

On the other hand, getting paid makes captains, pilots and engineers and marines also cost you money every hour which is very good.

So keep it up - cant wait for the final version :)
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Perkel
x4

Post by Perkel » Sun, 12. Apr 20, 13:34

Amazing idea. Hope this can be improved.
This and get paid is nice change to gameplay.

ShiBDiB
x4

Post by ShiBDiB » Mon, 13. Apr 20, 20:20

New version released.

Tweaks maintenance and taxes. Adds penalties to not being able to pay.
-----
My Mods
Go Home Drone, Reaction Force, Disable Story, Pay The Builder, Landlord, Training Exercise
Nexus Page
Steam Workshop Page

humility925
x4

Post by humility925 » Mon, 13. Apr 20, 21:44

More of spacelord, but it's doesn't make sense to do that in space as plant/earth, why plant/earth is very limited living space where everyone had hard time to ran or avoid it, while in the space is limitless and can't be taxed at all, as it's everywhere endless and tax is worthless as people easy to find other place and relocation far, far from who try to tax and bully someone and fail at that, even station can move easy, and often had firepower to stop someone tax or bully, it's so easy to avoid tax/fee in space than land on plant do because limited (land space) and limitless space, well, space.
Had a compassionate when you able... :)

vadiolive
x4

Post by vadiolive » Mon, 13. Apr 20, 21:47

Maybe you can expand scope to include Ships

ShiBDiB
x4

Post by ShiBDiB » Mon, 13. Apr 20, 21:50

vadiolive wrote:
Mon, 13. Apr 20, 21:47
Maybe you can expand scope to include Ships
Ship upkeep? Hmm that's not a bad idea.. would probably be a separate mod to use alongside this tho. I'll look into it
-----
My Mods
Nexus Page
Steam Workshop Page

iphoria
x4

Post by iphoria » Mon, 13. Apr 20, 22:01

Ship upkeep is already handled well by "getting paid" mod. https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... ?tab=posts

This mod would complement that nicely though

ShiBDiB
x4

Post by ShiBDiB » Tue, 14. Apr 20, 04:32

NPC stations in your sectors should now pay tax. Please let me know if this is working as I have nothing to test this with.
-----
My Mods
Nexus Page
Steam Workshop Page

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 14. Apr 20, 06:06

ShiBDiB wrote:
Tue, 14. Apr 20, 04:32
NPC stations in your sectors should now pay tax. Please let me know if this is working as I have nothing to test this with.
Amazing!
Is there any chance for a version that only has the taxes? I feel like im already paying maintenance with 'getting paid' etc, plus I feel like it might get a bit confusing for me if things stop working on stations. Thanks for the mod in any case.

ShiBDiB
x4

Post by ShiBDiB » Fri, 17. Apr 20, 02:57

1.5 is out, fixes an issue where taxes weren't being collected because it assumed the cheating NPC's paid for the plots.
Axeface wrote:
Tue, 14. Apr 20, 06:06
ShiBDiB wrote:
Tue, 14. Apr 20, 04:32
Amazing!
Is there any chance for a version that only has the taxes? I feel like im already paying maintenance with 'getting paid' etc, plus I feel like it might get a bit confusing for me if things stop working on stations. Thanks for the mod in any case.
I can add a toggle in the file next release.
-----
My Mods
Nexus Page
Steam Workshop Page

ShiBDiB
x4

Post by ShiBDiB » Wed, 22. Apr 20, 02:55

1.6 and 1.7 both came out today.

Added a change log to the op
-----
My Mods
Nexus Page
Steam Workshop Page

TheMandalorian
x4

Post by TheMandalorian » Tue, 21. Jul 20, 19:11

Thank you for this awesome mod.
I am currently building an overhaul which introduces taxes, maintenance cost and a simplified economy based on your mod.

By the way: their seems to be more people interested in taxing as you can see here https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/535

AtilaElari

Post by AtilaElari » Fri, 21. Aug 20, 16:23

I do love the taxation idea, and it does add some insentive for efficiency, but it doesn't really give the player a reason to expend efforts of taking sectors as taxes in the current mod can be more or less neglected once you establish a profitable production.
What I would like to have would be taxes based on the percent of the profits - for example, each time a player withdraws funds from station accounts (or stations send a surplus) a percentage of the credits is removed as profit tax. This will make taxes something to keep in mind even when you make many millions in profits.
Similarly, an ability to collect a portion of revenue of NPC stations, rather than a set value based on the module count, would give an insentive to both conquer sectors and to help NPCs establish more robust economies there. Although I'm not sure how can you tax NPC based on their profit, code-wise.

Borogwain
x4

Post by Borogwain » Tue, 15. Sep 20, 09:04

AtilaElari wrote:
Fri, 21. Aug 20, 16:23
I do love the taxation idea, and it does add some insentive for efficiency, but it doesn't really give the player a reason to expend efforts of taking sectors as taxes in the current mod can be more or less neglected once you establish a profitable production.
What I would like to have would be taxes based on the percent of the profits - for example, each time a player withdraws funds from station accounts (or stations send a surplus) a percentage of the credits is removed as profit tax. This will make taxes something to keep in mind even when you make many millions in profits.
Similarly, an ability to collect a portion of revenue of NPC stations, rather than a set value based on the module count, would give an insentive to both conquer sectors and to help NPCs establish more robust economies there. Although I'm not sure how can you tax NPC based on their profit, code-wise.
I like this concept of taxes very much also. It seems to be a very nice incentive to gain and fight for control over sectors, especially well developed ones (for player of course). It seems to me also very "immersive-wise".

As to the "profit tax" - may I humbly propose some workaround? If it is possible to count maintenance based on modules then probably it is also able to set tax as a percentage of value of hourly produce of any given production module. So tax on stations would be two-fold:

(1) percentage of plot value ("land" or rather "space tax"); and-

(2) value for any module, computed as a percentage of hourly production average value minus cost of resources (e.g. Graphene Production module produces graphene at an hourly profit of 25,125 Cr[1], let's say that profit tax is 5%, so a tax will be 25,125 x 0,05 = circa 1,256 Cr, so the "profit tax" for this module will be 1,256 Cr hourly).

Questions are two:
- has the noble and learned Author of this mod time for such implementation?
- does this change faction economies too much to be playable?

[1] Data source: http://x4-game.com/#/station-calculator ... 01,count:1
Borogwain
Currently X4: Foundation Split Vendetta, last stable version (Steam).
English is not my first language, please do not hesitate to correct me if I am wrong.
Still learning.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 30. Sep 20, 13:44

To the author of this mod:

I have a suggeston.

Can you add taxes for the ships you are commanding? So for example each S sized ship costs you 500 credits, each M sized ship 2000, L sized 10000 and XL 50000 or something like that. You did something similar to the station modules but I think the ships should be paid as well.

As consequence if you cant pay the bill, ships can become pirate ships (by a little chance add them to a random pirate faction).

Would be awesome :).
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

R-TEAM
x4

Post by R-TEAM » Fri, 14. May 21, 02:39

Would be nice to delay the station taxes for the HQ as long you have not build a modul on it .....
So you preventing players where get out of nowear suddenly an HQ to pay xxx.xxx,00 Taxes every hour ....

Regards

Mycu
x4

Post by Mycu » Fri, 14. May 21, 09:14

R-TEAM wrote:
Fri, 14. May 21, 02:39
Would be nice to delay the station taxes for the HQ as long you have not build a modul on it .....
So you preventing players where get out of nowear suddenly an HQ to pay xxx.xxx,00 Taxes every hour ....

Regards
Had this exact situation with PIO start.
Got free HQ and my hard earned 300k Cr evaporated because LandLord has demanded his taxes :)
I couldn't earn money as fast as taxes were imposed so disabled this mod until had more stable income.

It's quite unlikely that ShiBDiB will update it in near future as he probably is not actively playing X4 now.
X3 AP 3.1 + XRM
X3 AP 3.1 + LU

Alkeena
x4

Post by Alkeena » Fri, 14. May 21, 15:56

I might take a look at this if I can get permission from shib to muck about with it--he still occasionally makes appearances on the discord.

Couldn't find a license anywhere so I'm a bit reluctant to just edit and rehost somewhere.

Mycu
x4

Post by Mycu » Fri, 14. May 21, 17:12

Alkeena wrote:
Fri, 14. May 21, 15:56
I might take a look at this if I can get permission from shib to muck about with it--he still occasionally makes appearances on the discord.

Couldn't find a license anywhere so I'm a bit reluctant to just edit and rehost somewhere.
It would be great as this mod tries to fill one of the missing X4 mechanics.
Fingers crossed for this mod to be updated.
X3 AP 3.1 + XRM
X3 AP 3.1 + LU

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”