[REALSPACE MODS] "STARS" - "XRSGE" - "REM" - various

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Newinger
x4

Re: [REALSPACE MODS] Galaxy Remake: "STARS" (3.4) - "Engines Mod" (2.0) - "X4RSGE" (3.0)

Post by Newinger » Sat, 29. Oct 22, 15:07

Realspace wrote:
Sat, 29. Oct 22, 13:08
It only keeps the scene. The probe does not see them, the miner can't be ordered to mine. Just you as player can, asteroids are there, with yieald. But not for the others. Also the map does mot show them.
Ah. This explains a lot.

Realspace
x4

Re: [REALSPACE MODS] Galaxy Remake: "STARS" (3.4) - "Engines Mod" (2.0) - "X4RSGE" (3.0)

Post by Realspace » Sat, 29. Oct 22, 18:00

If I don't find how to change that the only solution is to nerf down everything, distances and ship's speed... at the end I made a long circle to go back to vanilla :lol:

Hopefully not... :cry:

I think we had arrived at the optimal compromise for distances and speed, saving immersion and playability. well 1500r aka 3000km wide sector is better than 300 of vanilla and not too much less than it is now (about 8000), just the half in average...but this feels a lot as a demoralizing last hit after all the work. The galaxy was there in the right balance..
Last edited by Realspace on Sat, 29. Oct 22, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Sat, 29. Oct 22, 18:27

Small bug report and couple of requests/advises maybe.
First, there seems to be good old bug with accelerator/superhighway from matrix 79b to savage spur. It can't be found even with map revealed, so only teleporting works.
In Morning star "the expanse" or "the reach" there is a black line in the sky near the nebulae (love them btw, but I like more the nebulae from older versions in some sectors)
Anyway, there's a question: is Omicron cluster supposed to be a part of Omicron Lyrae? If so, It'd be good to have it more rebirth style with that unrealistic black hole and so on :D
And I'd also advise to make Savage Spur a different system from Tharka's cascade if it's possible, because of that strange sun in Savage Spur and because this sector could be a part of Okrakoke's Storm system for example - with lots of derelict yaki ships and stations and other secrets of abandoned territory :)

Aand ... maybe Maelstrom some day? With old split colony hidden in the fog... :mrgreen:

P.S. Much thanks for the update. Finally X4 feels like a space sim .
Last edited by ziplock815 on Sat, 29. Oct 22, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sat, 29. Oct 22, 18:45

Good idea, will separate Savage Spur. Indeed I was thinking similarly..I also want to give xenon more space in the north

----------------------------------------

Bugreport for next update:
= Not working Accelerator Getsu Fune V to VIII - CORRECTED
= Missing resources in gasgiant's low orbit - CORRECTED
= Not working Accelerator in Tharkas Cascade - CORRECTED
= Not working Accelerator in Omicron B-Ariel - CORRECTED

p.s. I was thinking at how making the limitation of 3000km have a sense: since resources are there but only for the player if beyond that limit, thus I can rearrange regions (not long work) to be closer, wide but less rich. These are for all. While putting very very rich regions in deep space for player only. This would make mining being something to do for the player, not only commanding and forget as it is now. Except that gas mining can be only automated, not player-made :sceptic:

wanderer
x3tc

Post by wanderer » Sun, 30. Oct 22, 02:18

Realspace wrote:
Sat, 29. Oct 22, 13:08
But now ..... We have a big problem! :rant:
Seems that the engine does really hate big things...so I am realising now that resources put more than 1500kms from the center, are not applied in the map!
Re Big thinks/1500km border - Hm, maybe that's the 'think' part of Egosofts advertising - sorry; sarcasm.
I also had some strage behaviour for explorer commands (egosofts as well as others from mods). But thats the nice part - you need to explore it by yourself.

I think you can (lore friendly and for the impression) describe/change in such a way, that you may have some sectors/zones for eg. mining operations (like in lite with the helium), while the lager ones are for productions (eg. planet sectors). This is also near realism, bec. I do not know a country/region where an (eg.) active coal mine is locateed IN a city. You coud see them as sectors 'around' some productions sectors, or even further away (1-3 gates away). This also leads to s slower game speed and more strategic/tactical planing for stations and/or for patrol/support fleets...
(...and for those who playing a pirate style game its also a win-win. More ships to 'aquire'...)

When you mention the 1500km problem - this then also applies to the wreck collectors and their procession I assume.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sun, 30. Oct 22, 03:23

I have not tried with scrap only gas and roids. I suppose it is the same.

Your idea is exactly what inspired the first version of the mod. With Lite I wanted to expand sectors internally bc all those sHWs were nice but it was just cutscenes. Everything was too close in version 1.0 so I wanted to increase the real exploration.

The idea at the base of the mod has always been making resources belong to the right place. With Lite I put again some resources close to planets other than gas giants bc you had to travel to reach them...now, with the 1500km limitation we are going back to the original idea that could work indeed. But in a different way. A trick I thought about is that if resources have to be close to the center, I can move all the rest: accelerators etc.

I've already done this in some sectors, not knowing of the limitation yet. Problem is again those damn sHWs that can't be placed too far, while gates are much more versatile, you can easily putva gate even 8000km far. This automatically enlarges the sector without moving the rest. But not doable with sHWs. Well...I already tested gate going from from two points of the same sector. So can use them instead of shws in those harsh regions. It'd make sense for immersion. Highways are only for the habitated planets where high traffic is. Also they need constant allignment to orbits. While accelerators bring you in a more remote area but are not so precise.

This to be changed only in those sectors as you say, gas giants etc. While planets remain empty of resources but full of stations...yes it could work. I already put all wharf etc close to main planets. Can try to remove the zones from the gas giants and orebelts in order to let god build stations only in core sectors aka earthlike planets. This could work yes, and improve immersion. I like the idea that harsh regions are not colonized. Must see how god engine acts..
Last edited by Realspace on Tue, 1. Nov 22, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Sun, 30. Oct 22, 12:26

I see you've packed the last version of the mod into cat. and dat. files. I'd like to change the Milky Way in Terran sectors back to older, more realistic version and decrease amounts of mines in border sectors, but I don't know how to do it with cat.\dat. Maybe you can help?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sun, 30. Oct 22, 21:34

Replacing a single texture is easy if you have the old file, already packed: milkyway_diff.gz
You create a folder directory identical to mod i.e.
assets/textures/environments/milkyway_diff.gz

Take this folder "assets" and copy inside Cat tool. Then export in STARS folder. Name it subst_01 or subst_02 if 01 exists.

That's all. Yes you have to download and use XR catalog tool. It is easy, 5 min to learn how to use. One needs to at least use that if want to mess with mods ;-) me leaving the folder unpacked is the exception.

Or, use the Tool to simply unpack my mod as it is. It will be as old version with loose folders. After that delete the ext_01 or they'd conflict. Then you can edit, replacing textures etc

Mines will be reworked hopefully for next release...but you will be pleased to know that a Rebirth-like system has been added and Omicron B reworked in Rebirth style ;-)

Won't tell which system... :D

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Mon, 31. Oct 22, 12:03

Thanks. I've changed the Milky Way, but nebulae in front of it still remains. Anyway, it looks fine if I use "photo" filter in Terran sectors.
X Rebirth-like sector you say? Eager to see. Hopefully, It won't bring space grannies with it :D

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 1. Nov 22, 10:14

Means you used a version that had nebula added. There is an older version having only the other. It is a single texture, I removed all other vanilla-like nebula patches. So just use an older version of that texture. You can open it in a dds viewer even if it is g-zipped. While I think that current version is better I will probably try to develop a fidelity version. I tried different ones resulting always in not satisfying result. Pixelated stars as you see also in real images render very bad ingame. And milky is not a nebula but a bulb of stars :)

P.s. I will update the mod tomorrow so please report any other not functioning gate etc :)

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Tue, 1. Nov 22, 15:26

Could you please write some instructions to decreasing the fog/dbris after release or maybe rework it in the future? I think it's too much in the mod for now, can't take a look to the beautiful background most of the time. Maybe it's better to make dense fog clouds and debris only in resourceful (gas giant low orbits/rings) or remote areas/ancient battlegrounds such as President's End etc? There could be hidden secrets/ships/abandoned stations for example.

Playing Hatikvah's mission now, will check if split plot finally works in this version :)

P.S. New pirate and reworked neutral sectors are nice, especially I like New Frontier, Attya's Misfortune and Faulty Logic. Only one question about Loomanchkstrat's Legacy - in X3 it was a dark and scary system located in an area where stars can't be born. Could it be done that way to be more enigmatic and lore friendly?

P.P.S. Found a bug - True Sight Lasting Vengeance Alpha/Beta - planet textures missing

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 1. Nov 22, 17:58

Can you make an example of sectors with too much fog? Bc fog is indeed already limited to gas giant's low orbit or rings or orebelts. Planets have some random hydogen/methane clouds but they are far towards the planet, you must really want to find them. There are then some light clouds as ice fog that don't cover, just add a bit of misty effect on the sunlight. Then there are some totally foggy sectors as Gaian, but mostly they are limited to those places. And sun coronas of course.

If you mean only debris then maybe yes I overdid somewhere, can take a look for more differentiation and smaller pockets. I definetly want to differentiate the sectors according to how discussed with Wanderer

------------------------------------

I've updated REM to version 2.03
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/848
What I did is checking better for missiles and corrected the split-dlc introduced missiles. Also I rebalanced some very very slow missiles that were slow in vanilla but ends to be too slow in REM.
We need some testing with using missiles. I suppose they are quite lethal even now but high speeds make things unpredictable since speed is not everything and inertia can make huge differences

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Wed, 2. Nov 22, 15:11

Realspace wrote:
Tue, 1. Nov 22, 17:58
Can you make an example of sectors with too much fog? Bc fog is indeed already limited to gas giant's low orbit or rings or orebelts. Planets have some random hydogen/methane clouds but they are far towards the planet, you must really want to find them. There are then some light clouds as ice fog that don't cover, just add a bit of misty effect on the sunlight. Then there are some totally foggy sectors as Gaian, but mostly they are limited to those places. And sun coronas of course.
I'll check, but will wait for the update. Maybe it seems that way because there're a lot of gas giant and ore belts sectors and mines/debris in others so you don't actually see clean space while traveling :gruebel:

Btw, played X-Rebirth a bit yesterday and found that it has very lush graphics while X4 doesn't. If I get it right, I can use "Reshade" as a solution, but I've got no idea how to install it :(

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 2. Nov 22, 16:40

You definetly have to use Reshade. The whole STARS 3.x is based on Reshade to give the final touch of contrast and hdr

-----------------------------------------------------
XRSGE 3.05 + STARS 3.41
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/507
Bugs fixed:
= Not working Accelerator Getsu Fune V to VIII
= Missing resources in gasgiant's low orbit
= Not working Accelerator in Tharkas Cascade
= Not working Accelerator in Omicron B-Ariel
= Missing planet in Lasting Vengeance

New additions:
= New System Omicron A north of Omicron B
= Omicron quadrant is inspired by Rebirth, so also Omicron B has been changed a bit
= Reworked Sonra system
More to this, I've reworked Sonra in the way it will be for other systems too in next updates. I am introducing the concept of deep space exploration as we talked with Wanderer above.
The big sector of the sun at the center is back but the situation is more dynamic. Argon military decided to shut down the way back from Sonra I to prevent any Khaak invasion.
In the Encyclopedia it is explained...you can read how difficult it is to build connection close to the sun etc. These two new regions, sun core (well this is not new but newly conceived) and deep space are the solution to the 1500 km limitation and follow the idea of being harsh and inhospitable so no station is to be found except pirates. Resources are 5000-8000 kms away but are very rewarding. They can be mined by npc, are show on map, etc. Exploration is important to find them.

Argon is an example of how to rearrange resources, with stations mostly close to core sectors aka planets while resources are in sun region or deep space with no stations. Argon has no gas giants, for those I will see situation by situation. The general idea is that core systems will have good connections leading close to resources while secondary/un-owned systems should have un-precise connections, superhighways shut down, accelerators that lost orbit, etc.

I've put high attention at not moving zones or just a few, not deleting any. If there was a gate and now no more, it remains the zone there (so stations) anyway. This will be the approach for next systems too, in order to keep old game's saves working
Last edited by Realspace on Thu, 3. Nov 22, 09:14, edited 5 times in total.

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Wed, 2. Nov 22, 20:00

Realspace wrote:
Wed, 2. Nov 22, 16:40
You definetly have to use Reshade. The whole STARS 3.x is based on Reshade to give the final touch of contrast and hdr
Could you tell where can I find the instructions how to install it?

wanderer
x3tc

Post by wanderer » Thu, 3. Nov 22, 03:01

ziplock815 wrote:
Wed, 2. Nov 22, 20:00
Realspace wrote:
Wed, 2. Nov 22, 16:40
Could you tell where can I find the instructions how to install it?
ReShade is a 3rd Party Tool - see https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/ReShade.
There you follow the instructions. First dl the ReShade Setup (the normal one should do it), then start the setup.
It now leads you through the installation process. It also shows the installed games. Select X4.
Now go through the setup steps, when it asks for the preset (aka this mods .ini file), select it (use browse button in the setup page).
Go and follow the steps until finished.
Vola, that was it...
Now, after you start X4, you will be shown that a ReShade (and a preset) is applied. I recomend to go through these first steps (tipp - wait until the menue is loaded, it is not needed to load a save).

Also, theres a hell of infos on ReShade side (wiki). Also very good for NMS and Skyrim...
(...for more games you need to 'setup' them accordingly. Means, one setuo for one game.)

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Thu, 3. Nov 22, 15:38

Thanks a lot for the instructions. Tried to install, but unfortunately haven't noticed any changes. Does reshade change graphics a lot? Maybe I did something wrong :gruebel: All I have for now is significant FPS drop in mine/asteroid fields and stations.
:cry:

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 3. Nov 22, 16:47

ziplock815 wrote:
Thu, 3. Nov 22, 15:38
Thanks a lot for the instructions. Tried to install, but unfortunately haven't noticed any changes. Does reshade change graphics a lot? Maybe I did something wrong :gruebel: All I have for now is significant FPS drop in mine/asteroid fields and stations.
:cry:
After installing you have to activate my settings that you downloaded, right? There is a file named STARS_dimm.ini.
Copy that inside main root aka where X4.exe is and where Reshade is also installed. Then at the first time you lunch the game and Reshade appears, load its function screen (usually F12 but it is customizable in the settings) and in the presets chose STARS_dimm. You'll see the effect immediatly. You can choose a key to switch Reshade on/off ingame, I usually use F11. So you can see the effect and also maybe cut off in those situations (as inside stations) where Reshade is too strong

---------------------

I've uploaded XRSGE 3.06
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/507
It is just a couple bug fixes and rearranged sun in Nopileous and its ...
Spoiler
Show
hidden gate leading to Zyarth, now leads to another Teladi system, you'll discover
Made a quick update bc there was a name's overlap and, for as small as it is, it breaks immersion
Last edited by Realspace on Thu, 3. Nov 22, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Thu, 3. Nov 22, 19:44

Still not back at my gaming PC, but still reading this thread :) Did you solve or work around the resource placement problem yet?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 3. Nov 22, 22:14

Newinger wrote:
Thu, 3. Nov 22, 19:44
Still not back at my gaming PC, but still reading this thread :) Did you solve or work around the resource placement problem yet?
Well somehow, I am becoming a master at turning limitations into...new ideas :D
As they are now, regions are available to player so it is ok for exploration. In many sectors I already had put different regions, far away with richer and closer with average. These closer ones still work for npc's. In general, there is already enough resources around, economy should not suffer. But it is just that the very rewarding I put far away can't be mined by npc.
What I am adding is the concept of deep space regions and harsh solar regions. Solar regions having high gases, deep space having roids. Both are not easy to colonize, distant gates (5000/8000km) and sometimes not working superhws in one direction or damaged by roids or shut down on pourpose, as Argon in Sonra to prevent khaak invasion. Limiting zones to only the gate, no others. Adding other perils as khaaks etc.
These areas can be mined by npc's but they have to cross the distance from gate to center and the possible enemies.
I am expanding the systems without altering their present layout and connections. Basically expanding them either towards the sun or towards deep space. And adding new un-owned systems as Omicron A and B. Omicron C will be next ;-)

..then there is Frontier Mod, it is on stand-by but I had already done 3 new systems

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”