[REALSPACE MODS] "STARS" - "XRSGE" - "REM" - various

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Realspace
x4

Re: [REALSPACE MODS] Galaxy Remake: "STARS" - "Engines Mod" - "X4RSGE"

Post by Realspace » Tue, 16. May 23, 17:32

LostCompany wrote:
Tue, 16. May 23, 13:22
Anything we can test/help? Test driving a few finished sectors? Or has the complete Galaxy recalculated first?
The changes do not affect the galaxy in any way. Everything happens in the level of the clusters not the map, backgrounds and planets can be changed/moved idependently from the map, so there is no timeline except having redone all. I can release the current state tomorrow, it's 75% done

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Tue, 16. May 23, 19:44

Realspace wrote:
Tue, 16. May 23, 17:32
LostCompany wrote:
Tue, 16. May 23, 13:22
Anything we can test/help? Test driving a few finished sectors? Or has the complete Galaxy recalculated first?
The changes do not affect the galaxy in any way. Everything happens in the level of the clusters not the map, backgrounds and planets can be changed/moved idependently from the map, so there is no timeline except having redone all. I can release the current state tomorrow, it's 75% done
No new game is needed I hope? :D
Btw, you said you had reworked some bacgrounds - I hope you had not changed nebulae in Guiding star/ east split sectors and so on... they are wonderful. Except maybe of Black hole sun and north split sectors where nebulae seem quite dimm in my game. Maybe they seem more vivid with Reshade, but I never managed to install it.

LostCompany
x4

Post by LostCompany » Tue, 16. May 23, 23:51

I think Realspace knows what he is doing :-) Yes, some of the regions are real eyecatcher. Hope I can convice him to make some Reshade "light" setting out of the current one later. It's looking pretty realistic with the dark/bright zones, but the cut is to hard. Potions of stations that lies in the shadow of the sunlight are hardly to identify because...it's dark ;) Would prefer something between vanilla and current reshade setup.
But at all it's a real great mod to the game! I'm pretty sure we get a version suitable for any hardwaresetup if finished!

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 17. May 23, 09:51

Changing reshade is easy. Open the interface and look for the shader contrast_..something. in that shader you have the contrast value. Bring it back to 1000 instead of 1500.

Another solution very simple is in game setting, increase the gamma to 105/110. This will give back some luminosity but not in the dark regions. I even prefer this solution bc it makes stars pop out more than with reshade only.

The problem with reshade is that it applies everywhere. Vanilla game has decent lighting, if it was another game not in space. Interiors, ships, etc are ok. It's the background that is too pale. It lacks the strong contrast of light in space. But we'd need contrast only there.

In latest reshade I've added eye adaptation, which makes white things change brighter when you look in a dark area. So f.i. the lights remain dimm when looking a planet but shine more when looking into a dark starfield. So stars pop up when looking in the deep space only. Problem is that 'everything' will shine more, included the hud, writings and cockpit. So this effect can be applies only at minimum values such as +10%. If it was only on the background then a +50% would make only the stars shine in the dark.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 17. May 23, 20:40

STARS 4.0.5 is available
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/507
This update is needed only by XRSGE users.
It contains the new materials after the changes in the backgrounds introduced by XRSGE 4.3.9
So please update STARS and then install...

XRSGE 4.3.9
*Redone all the backgrounds for smaller sizes (triangle glitch for amd 6800 users).
Redone the aspect of all backgrounds too
Some foggy regions changed into new lighter foggy regions
Added the X3 combat music (but randomly chosen less frequently than X4's tracks)
Rewritten code for boron story, the part about the delivery to pirate sectors

In optional files, I've also updated my RESHADE settings
There are two version, DIMM and BRIGHT
Bright has less contrast
Last edited by Realspace on Wed, 17. May 23, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

Carath
x4

Post by Carath » Wed, 17. May 23, 22:31

Realspace wrote:
Wed, 17. May 23, 20:40
STARS 4.0.5 is available
This update is needed only by XRSGE users.
It contains the new materials after the changes in the backgrounds introduced by XRSGE 4.3.9
So please update STARS and then install...

XRSGE 4.3.9
*Redone all the backgrounds for smaller sizes (triangle glitch for amd 6800 users).
Redone the aspect of all backgrounds too
Some new lighter foggy regions
Added the X3 combat music (but randomly chosen less frequently than X4's tracks)
Rewritten code for boron story, the part about the delivery to pirate sectors

In optional files, I've also updated my RESHADE settings
There are two version, DIMM and BRIGHT
Bright has less contrast
So far so good. I've just done a quick check on my 6900 and it's looking really good! Thank you soooo much, I can finally start playing your mod!

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Thu, 18. May 23, 03:13

BIG thanks for adding X3combat tracks and, of course, thanks for the update.
Now flying in Argon Prime and enjoying the visuals. Stars look much better now.

Sad thing is that I started to get "shadergl" error. The game works well if I don't touch the error window, but the sound of it suddenly popping up scares me a lot every time :lol:
Didn't have this error since mod version for 5.1
Anybody experiencing sthis issue? Don't want to start a new game :cry: , but this error usually disappears after new gamestart.

P.S. Seems that game doesn't work well for me. Saved the game after getting an error and tried to load this save. The error window now pops up while loading, the game is loading to 99% and never starts... And I've just earned my first 20 mil credits and completed the boron plot :cry: :cry: :cry:

P.S.S. Tried to load a save that was made before getting the error window - same result. Loading to 50-70%, getting the error window then loading to 99% and that's all

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 18. May 23, 06:43

I did not touch shaders. The changes I did can't have any effect on the gameplay in any way, it is only the box containing the clusters. That is separated from the map. You can change it in any moment of the game. I am continuing the old save without issue. Are you sure you did not change something else in the meantine?

There has been an hf5 update in last days.

Did you install Reshade? Try removing STARS...even if I can't think of it as cause either.

Btw you wrote that you finished the boron plot, that includes the part where you have to go to pirate sectors? I had a bug report in the nexus but have no error in my log. So I rewrote the patch for that part. Hope it was not useless or...worsening.

------------------------------

BTW I've updated RESHADE settings.
I've added the adaptive tone to both the shaders

But STARS_Bright uses the tone mapper more extensively to achieve the contrast in scene without using...contrast.
So foggy sectors and interiors should remain more similar to vanilla (which is good) while space looks darker.
You'll notice that looking at a planet or a sun, the scene becomes dimmer, stars around the sun disappear. A thing I always hated, and immersion breaking, was looking at the sun and still seeing stars around it. It makes the background flat and not real. Also looking at a planet should make the stars around become dimmer. If you look at the deep space instead, without other light sources, stars will pop up.

Our eyes are better than a camera, so the adaptation is faster and the pics from space showing the earth or moon without stars are due to the camera's lesser exposure range, our eyes are still better (more range, at least +2/3 stops, and faster), nevertheless when looking at a bright object in space, stars should look dimmer to the spectator.
Reshade is far from perfect, indeed it applies its changes to everything while it should be limited to the background. Cockpit and maps are also changed etc. My attempts at setting a depth range for its effect did not work. These things can only work with shaders implemented inside the game, I suppose.

Sorry for the rant, lighting has being part my job as professional photographer for tens of years. You can understand my affinity to this kind of mods I made :D
Anyway, hope you enjoy these settings as I do :wink:

And now the bad news... :shock:
I had a lot of errors in the log about missing sectors in the map (which made no sense), in my game that is before the 3.4.5 update. And sudden stuttering.
In that update I had to change how the map is called by the engine to avoid any issue when moving the 0,0,0 sector (aka vanilla Grand Exchange). This solved the Terran plot bug, for instance.
Even if the map is identical, seems that this change on how is generated the map, introduces some problem in the game that does not find matching sectors between the map and the map as it is in the save game.
All games started after 3.4.5 are fine
Last edited by Realspace on Thu, 18. May 23, 11:17, edited 3 times in total.

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Thu, 18. May 23, 11:08

Didn't change anything, only installed ew version of x4rsge and STARS. Maybe the error is really caused by hf5 :gruebel:
Is there anything I could do to fix this problem?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 18. May 23, 11:13

If your save is from a game started before 3.4.5 then the issue can be the same I am having now. See edited post above.
Otherwise not. And not shaders anyway.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Thu, 18. May 23, 12:15

ziplock815 wrote:
Thu, 18. May 23, 11:08
Didn't change anything, only installed ew version of x4rsge and STARS. Maybe the error is really caused by hf5 :gruebel:
Is there anything I could do to fix this problem?
If you use Reshade and/or the .ini update, try removing it and see if the error persists. Or check if all required Reshade shaders are installed for the .ini update.

Don't know if that will help,just a hunch.

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Thu, 18. May 23, 12:26

No, didn't use Reshade, just updated the mod and STARS and started to get this error :gruebel:

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Thu, 18. May 23, 12:29

Realspace wrote:
Thu, 18. May 23, 06:43
Btw you wrote that you finished the boron plot, that includes the part where you have to go to pirate sectors? I had a bug report in the nexus but have no error in my log. So I rewrote the patch for that part. Hope it was not useless or...worsening.
I've just completed The High Road and first boron quest, the very first one.

P.S. Tested a new game, no errors. Strange. My last playthrough was with version 4.38, should be no errors :rant:
Anybody having this error with old saves after latest hotfix5?

Seems like new game is the only option :lol:

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 18. May 23, 13:15

4.38? No way it is this mod, also because shaders are not touched. The only problem comes from pre 4.3.5 saves due to the map's directory change.
Did you try as I suggested by removing STARS only?...just to be sure

Btw I've updated XRSGE to 3.4.1
:arrow: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/507
It makes fresh starts have some shortcuts. Means that much more map opens up and inside the known map all stations are revealed.
Adds better equipment and more money for the Boron start Emergence.
We all have started multiple times, this speeds up a bit the exploration's part.
The map is so big that knowing an entire system is just the start of exploration.

I've updated RESHADE Settings
STARS.DIMM version has the DEPTH FIELD
This means that the contrast is applied to the backgrounds only. I finally managed to set up the right depth field for the effect.
Cockpit and interiors are spared by the effect.
Unfortunely the map is seen as part of the background so it receives the effect.

REM 3.4 available
:arrow: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/848
Bug fix: boron guns not having increased range and speed
Other minor fixes

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Fri, 19. May 23, 00:31

I've found what caused the error with shaders - it was Encounters mod. After disabling it everything works fine.
Sorry for my little panic :P

Noticed one thing - since you've made skybox smaller, sometimes background nebulae and stars can be seen to move (just like in vanilla) when traveling through shw at high velocity (1-2c). Not a big deal, but a little bit immersion breaking because I've been playing X4 for a long time with your mod and without this nebulae/stars moving effect which was more realistic, of course. Maybe you could make second version with bigger skybox for those not having triangle glitches?
Last edited by ziplock815 on Fri, 19. May 23, 01:56, edited 2 times in total.

Aadeyrn
x3tc

Post by Aadeyrn » Fri, 19. May 23, 01:28

How did you guys complete the racing mission to unlock engine mods? Everytime I try it the distances are too vast

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Fri, 19. May 23, 03:11

Aadeyrn wrote:
Fri, 19. May 23, 01:28
How did you guys complete the racing mission to unlock engine mods? Everytime I try it the distances are too vast
I'm using Jumpdrive mod in my game, for capital ships. Last time I've completed this mission by placing a nav beacon near the finish point and simply jumping to it in my capship.

LostCompany
x4

Post by LostCompany » Fri, 19. May 23, 15:11

iLordShade wrote:
Tue, 2. May 23, 19:08
>> the Stars + galaxy mod + VRO + double speed mod is quite possibly my favourite way to play now. <<

While I love the idea of you using realistic newton physics for ships accelerating and decelerating, its much too difficult for me to understand and play properly, and the AI suffers *INCREDIBLY* and can't handle high attention basically at all. The rest of the mods you've created? Chef's kiss, I can't really fault it.

Now if only it was compatible with other sector adding mods via compatibility patches, god. I'd actually go utterly nuts if this level of galaxy quality could be brought over to something like xpanded universe or X Universe+.
100% agree! Lots of Space and lots of fun together! No ultrarealistic sim, but who cares! Love to roam space with Brummbears vro compatible tachi and kick some xenon ass! I noticed that a great number of stations was all near the gates. Space in the middle was only rarely filled with something. OK, found some remains of huge battlefields for salvaging of some other things to explore.

So I started my great exploration journey today... sector 4 sector. Not caring about storylines for now...

Thanks Realspace (and all the other great modmakers) for your blood, sweat and tears bringing so much fun into X4!
There is some stuttering left - but I don't care for now. It surely has nothing to do with the x4rsge graphics! I ran the game up to 100fps in high details with 4k resolution!

Aadeyrn
x3tc

Post by Aadeyrn » Fri, 19. May 23, 15:13

Does anyone use FOCW with this mod?

ScandyNav
x4

Post by ScandyNav » Fri, 19. May 23, 17:00

Realspace wrote:
Thu, 18. May 23, 13:15
I've updated RESHADE Settings
STARS.DIMM version has the DEPTH FIELD
I advise everyone to try this reshade. Looks very good.
There is several disadvantages, but not so crucial.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”