[REALSPACE MODS] "STARS" - "XRSGE" - "REM" - various

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Realspace
x4

Re: [MOD] STARS - New skybox, nebulae and planets (V3.0 - 07/2022)

Post by Realspace » Tue, 5. Jul 22, 13:43

VERSION 3.0 AVAILABLE
Major Update. This version is the base material package for the Galaxy Remake (X4RSGE):

Many new materials are displayed only when the new mod is also active

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/507
Last edited by Realspace on Tue, 5. Jul 22, 15:27, edited 2 times in total.

Realspace
x4

Re: [REALSPACE MODS] Galaxy Remake: "STARS" - "Engines Mod" - "X4RSGE"

Post by Realspace » Tue, 5. Jul 22, 14:45

UPDATE!

The XRSGE map is ready!!! :-D ....(the mod is still not... :doh: )

Please start by updating to the STARS 3.0 mod otherwise this one will not work: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/507/

STARS MOD is mandatory! without it the XRSGE mod will display empty meshes everywhere, please download and activate both

What I am still doing?
1) Checking all the region_definitions I modified, one by one. My aim is not only enlarge them to work in the new map (vanilla sectors are somehow untouched but distances are enlarged there too) but also improve performace and change the volumetric fogs to be softer, real regional fog and not intrusive spots
2) Working on the god.xml to recreate a starting setting that is coherent with the map but also for anomalies and hidden bases that follow the new star geometry
3) Adding or changing the gates further to create more complex connections to increase strategy
4) Still working on names and descriptions

TESTERS URGENTLY NEEDED
For now I recomend the mod only to modders who want to be involved in the project and players who want to help testing the mod

What needs to be tested first:
1) SUPERHIGHWAYS. I've created 200+ superhws, there can be errors and not working ones. I already noticed that sometimes if the sector is still not displayed in the map the superhighway appears inactive but it works normally if the ending sector is known. Any guess why?
2) Checking names and descriptions, names as first. First understand how the names are set, then see if some are missing or incoherent (like a gamma sector for low orbit instead of alpha sector, etc.)

The mod is uploading, you'll find it in the same page under the files tab:
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/507/

Expect upto 15 min for a new game to start. The map is 4x bigger. Please don't use other mods that already change the map or the radar's/scanner's defaults, etc. They are already modified in the mod.
For testing aims it'd be better to use only this mod + STARS
Of course a new start is mandatory

At the moment the mod is incompatible with any other galaxy mod, small or big. There are still some files that replace everything (universe.xml and region_definition). In the future I will increase compatibility with other mods.
------------------------------------------------
There is still more to do, but in the meantime I want to thank all the modders who helped me to nail any small or big issue I faced when started this project months ago, and any player too for the tips...thanks guys!

DeadAirRT
tomchk
Shuulo
Dr Reed
John Colman

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 6. Jul 22, 20:31

XRSGE 0.2 is ready for download
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... it/?id=507
It contains the updated version of god.xml so now all starting sectors are assigned accordingly to the solar system

The base mod is now completed, it has to be tested for errors. Please report any issue, thanks

m4ndr01d
x4

Post by m4ndr01d » Wed, 6. Jul 22, 21:51

Greetings Realspace:

FYI; The NEXUS mod page link for X4RSGE v2.0 above is not working. I downloaded the new version from your Page 1 NEXUS website link tho, so I'm good.
Will get some time in touring your creation later tonight after work. Looking forward to it!

o7,

m4ndr01d
Let no m4n be left behind.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 6. Jul 22, 22:07

m4ndr01d wrote:
Wed, 6. Jul 22, 21:51
Greetings Realspace:

FYI; The NEXUS mod page link for X4RSGE v2.0 above is not working. I downloaded the new version from your Page 1 NEXUS website link tho, so I'm good.
Will get some time in touring your creation later tonight after work. Looking forward to it!

o7,

m4ndr01d
Great!
Be sure you downloaded version 0.2, it has the god.xml file for starting the game with all sectors assigned to the "owner" of each solar system
I had some issue with connection so in the meantime I updated to 0.2
Everything looks in order now in the nexus

For the next updates I'll use the patch so files will be much smaller ;-)

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 7. Jul 22, 10:40

Testing issues I need help for...
There are two things that for now bother a lot:

1) saves are bloated. Uncompressed at start is already 3.5gb !!! Please do all the necessary such as removing firewall and antivirus and indexing in save's folder.
Put autosave off.
Can someone point to some other trick or maybe mod that help removing empty entries in the save file?

2) some superhighways don't work without the autopilot...which only works if the ending sector is already known. Any guess what could be wrong? :gruebel:

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Thu, 7. Jul 22, 16:59

Realspace wrote:
Thu, 7. Jul 22, 10:40
Testing issues I need help for...
There are two things that for now bother a lot:

1) saves are bloated. Uncompressed at start is already 3.5gb !!! Please do all the necessary such as removing firewall and antivirus and indexing in save's folder.
Put autosave off.
Can someone point to some other trick or maybe mod that help removing empty entries in the save file?

2) some superhighways don't work without the autopilot...which only works if the ending sector is already known. Any guess what could be wrong? :gruebel:
First of all thanks for your amazing work. The immersion is incredible now. Planets, stars, nebulae...magnificent. Can't wait to start playing.
I discovered some issiues in some of the systems. Superhighways don't work properly and that blue/red energy glow radiating from them doesn't move. There also are some highways (for example in south part of Pious Mists 4 Alpha) that aren't visible on map and're not displayed as objects.
In Pious Mists 4 Beta big asteroids in the backgrounf are vibrating.
Black Hole sun sector also has some issues. Black Hole Sun 8 for example is just black space with no stars and planets.
Encyclopedia's descriptions of new sectors are "readtexts"
Low FPS in Unholy Retribution 6 Gamma, Wretched Skies 7 Family Valka, Farnham's Legend 9.
That's all I found for now :)

I also have a suggestion to increase travel itme while using superhighways or make a possibility to change speed like in X-Rebirth. In my opinion it feels too fast so there's not really a lot of time to engoy the flight.
Last edited by ziplock815 on Thu, 7. Jul 22, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Thu, 7. Jul 22, 21:15

increase travel itme while using superhighways is a great idea !

great mod Realspace, downloading and will test the new map. Thanks for your hard work

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Thu, 7. Jul 22, 21:57

Nopileo's III Alpha : The sun is coming through the planet ^^

Memory of profit IV all three are completelly white can't see anything inside had to use cheat menu to teleport out...

farnham's legend sectors give me around 25 FPS (i7 12700k, rtx 2080ti 32g ram) the three in north
middles ones around 30 Fps (I usually have 65 in other crowded sectors )

visual glitch in map mod around True Sight VII, VIII in VIII One planet also looks wierd with the sun reflection.
Confirm issue for blackhole sun VII, VIII, IX
same issue for Sonra systeme
Sonra VIII alpha and gamma Also have weird issue with lightning from the sun, it's very yellow can't see anything

Family Tkr III matrix IX Beta Has issues also with some big balls
Family Tkr V matrix 451 same issues with sun lightning
Family Tkr IV matrix 451 Beta same issue with sun too bright
Family Tkr VII Same issue for both

Tharka's ravine XVI, txo sectors next to it have weird names cluster_410_sector002_macro

Uranus has a graphic glitch on the rings

Neptune is changing colors when you move camera around ^^

Segaris V very bad perfromance
Segaris XI Not good performance but not as bad as the others

Morning star VII Graphical issues in the sector

will you increase number of ships and or stations per faction in your mod ?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 8. Jul 22, 22:31

Thank you guys, this makes error-solving much faster! Still have not looked, just answering from phone but it looks like there is something off...mean I expected issues with hw but took special care in cluster creation planet positioning etc so have to ask: have you updated STARS to version 3.0? there is a lot of new materials and custom planets that require it.

The readtext error...maybe the compression process. :gruebel: there can be some missing texts but not all! Seems like the T file is not read. I will try to export the mod as lose file, maybe the zip is not too big.

I am quite sure I have not those glitches in my game where both STARS and XRSGE are lose folders....maybe stars mod takes priority? In Stars mod some clusters are changed but that's only for using it alone (with vanilla map). If using Xrsge, all clusters are overwritten , at least in my game. The misplaced planets make me think the clusters from Stars are read as priority instead of those from Xrsge

Low fps is probably regions I modified but did not test in vanilla sectors where they overlap. I made huge regions that are not very taxing but if a vanilla region overlaps that can happen. Thanks, please write any sector having low fps, I am testing them too

Yes I had the idea to increase travel time but didnot find anything related to that in parameters.xml. Any help is welcome...as it was in Rebirth would be perfect

magitsu
x4

Post by magitsu » Sat, 9. Jul 22, 00:45

Ministry of Finance VI has =ReadText512004.... subsector
There's three Pious Mists IV Betas, and one of them is even not in the same group of 3 subsectors
There's two True Sight Systems
There's two Morning Star III | Heretic's End Gamma +Jump Gate+ systems
Two Morning Star III | Heretic's End Alphas
Two Morning Star III | Heretic's End Betas

Two Getsu Fune VI Alphas
Two Getsu Fune VI Betas
Two Getsu Fune VIIs

Two Free Families VII | Family Zhin Alphas
Two Free Families III | Rhy's Defiance Alphas
Windfall IV Aurora's Dream Alpha should be Windfall IV | Aurora's Dream Alpha
Windfall IV | Aurora's Dream Delta should probably be Windfall III | The Hoard Delta

Family Tkr II | Fires of Defeat Beta Alpha (excess Alpha in name)
Black Hole Sun III Alpha Hades (why Hades? might not be a mistake, but weird... though not as much as the PIO sectors which have several weird additions, like is Terranova 1 & 2 referring to a company?)

cluster_33... should be Savage Spur III | Matrix #79B Beta
cluster_410_sector002 should be Tharka's Ravine something
cluster_410_sector003 should be Tharka's Ravine something

cluster_417_sector002 should be Guiding Star something
cluster_417_sector003 should be Guiding Star something

Grand Exchange II Alpha Path to Profit doesn't follow the naming convention, it probably should be Grand Exchange II | Path to Profit Alpha (like Beta and Gamma)

Minor:
There's quite often extra space press between words.
Grand Exchange VI | Goldminer's DreamAlpha on the other hand is missing space between Dream and Alpha.

Sometimes the 3rd is Delta, and other times Gamma... why?

Overall I can already tell that for me the map is too big to bother playing. There's already massively popular SWI for someone looking for larger than vanilla. It manages to be very performance friendly.
This mod's amount of names far exceeds what one can handle mentally (too many 3-4 sector groups with long names but 1 different number or greek alphabet).
To me simply the amount of Farnham's sectors would be significant enough addition to vanilla. It turns into bloat almost straight after that. I'd rather take less sectors than vanilla than this much. It leads to cognitive exhaustion. So overall, good practice in galaxy generation but making a game mod concept work in it requires some truly new idea to be worth it.

I'd concentrate solely on getting the game generation, saving and loading time reduced, as it's enough to get most abandon the idea of even trying it. Then after it's done it might be worth fixing the sector names.
Map screen lag is also excessive compared to the likes of VRO/SWI, but not as drastically different as the initial game generation and save/load difference.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sat, 9. Jul 22, 10:30

magitsu wrote:
Sat, 9. Jul 22, 00:45
Ministry of Finance VI has =ReadText512004.... subsector
There's three Pious Mists IV Betas, and one of them is even not in the same group of 3 subsectors
There's two True Sight Systems
There's two Morning Star III | Heretic's End Gamma +Jump Gate+ systems
Two Morning Star III | Heretic's End Alphas
Two Morning Star III | Heretic's End Betas

Two Getsu Fune VI Alphas
Two Getsu Fune VI Betas
Two Getsu Fune VIIs

Two Free Families VII | Family Zhin Alphas
Two Free Families III | Rhy's Defiance Alphas
Windfall IV Aurora's Dream Alpha should be Windfall IV | Aurora's Dream Alpha
Windfall IV | Aurora's Dream Delta should probably be Windfall III | The Hoard Delta

Family Tkr II | Fires of Defeat Beta Alpha (excess Alpha in name)
Black Hole Sun III Alpha Hades (why Hades? might not be a mistake, but weird... though not as much as the PIO sectors which have several weird additions, like is Terranova 1 & 2 referring to a company?)

cluster_33... should be Savage Spur III | Matrix #79B Beta
cluster_410_sector002 should be Tharka's Ravine something
cluster_410_sector003 should be Tharka's Ravine something

cluster_417_sector002 should be Guiding Star something
cluster_417_sector003 should be Guiding Star something

Grand Exchange II Alpha Path to Profit doesn't follow the naming convention, it probably should be Grand Exchange II | Path to Profit Alpha (like Beta and Gamma)

Minor:
There's quite often extra space press between words.
Grand Exchange VI | Goldminer's DreamAlpha on the other hand is missing space between Dream and Alpha.

Sometimes the 3rd is Delta, and other times Gamma... why?

Overall I can already tell that for me the map is too big to bother playing. There's already massively popular SWI for someone looking for larger than vanilla. It manages to be very performance friendly.
This mod's amount of names far exceeds what one can handle mentally (too many 3-4 sector groups with long names but 1 different number or greek alphabet).
To me simply the amount of Farnham's sectors would be significant enough addition to vanilla. It turns into bloat almost straight after that. I'd rather take less sectors than vanilla than this much. It leads to cognitive exhaustion. So overall, good practice in galaxy generation but making a game mod concept work in it requires some truly new idea to be worth it.

I'd concentrate solely on getting the game generation, saving and loading time reduced, as it's enough to get most abandon the idea of even trying it. Then after it's done it might be worth fixing the sector names.
Map screen lag is also excessive compared to the likes of VRO/SWI, but not as drastically different as the initial game generation and save/load difference.
Thank you...text-error solvig is a matter of few minutes by my part, the difficulty is to check every sector after months of modding, my eyes are only two. With these reports I can solve things very fast.

About the mod's concept I must spend few words: the project aims at making the game slower and more immersive. Expecially if using my Engines Mod. If you want to quickly jump at empire managent, this kind of map is probably not the best. It's meant for players wanting to re-experience the "vanilla" map in a totally changed setting aka Freelancer experience (but at realistic scale!).

That oc does not solve the bloated save issue, which seems generated by the large map itself, I did not change factions nor added anything exept defense stations in the new sectors :gruebel:

P.s Terranova is the name of the main planet that was destroyed by Xenons. You can find it, destroyed and in fire...I follow ego's description for names whenever possible and create a setting that reflects those descriptions. Planet Hades also is in ego descript.
I'll add the prefix 'Planet' to all, so it is clear ;-)

Some few delta sectors exist bc they are delta of another cluster. E.g aurora s dream delta belongs to windall 4 eclyptic. If you see it ingame it is a far away orbit from windfall 4

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Sat, 9. Jul 22, 20:19

I remember Terranova wasn't completely destroyed, just it's infrastructure and/or biosphere, but I could be wrong :gruebel:

Anyway, eagerly waiting for an update
This mod is too awesome to play without it

Mr.Freud
x4

Post by Mr.Freud » Sat, 9. Jul 22, 21:39

Hey there!
Is the new version of the mod compatible with VRO?
How factions interact with all of the sectors it adds? Can theoretically one faction conquer all or is there a limit to their expansion?
Also - are storylines enabled and accessible?

Mr.Freud
x4

Post by Mr.Freud » Sat, 9. Jul 22, 22:17

First thing I noticed - veeeeery long time needed to start a new game, like 10 minuts. Also saving takes much longer and then I noticed that the game consumes 25 GBs of RAM out of 32 :o . (that's 5 minutes into a new game) I think there's a memory leak of some sorts in the mod.
(at least now I know that the game can use so much RAM :D )

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sun, 10. Jul 22, 15:19

Mr.Freud wrote:
Sat, 9. Jul 22, 22:17
First thing I noticed - veeeeery long time needed to start a new game, like 10 minuts. Also saving takes much longer and then I noticed that the game consumes 25 GBs of RAM out of 32 :o . (that's 5 minutes into a new game) I think there's a memory leak of some sorts in the mod.
(at least now I know that the game can use so much RAM :D )

25?? That's a record :D I saw 10gb in my pc... which already seemed too much!

I don't know where to find the cause except the map itself. Or maybe the regions are too large...will try removing them for testing.

Another cause could be that many sectors are milions kms far away, maybe the game has to calculate such coordinates and put them in the save. I expected that a whole sector very far away (not single elements) would not require such calculations :gruebel:

Tomorrow I'll put version 0.3 out, with text error's correction and lose files. Hope to find a solution for the bloated save files later

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 11. Jul 22, 13:01

Mr.Freud wrote:
Sat, 9. Jul 22, 21:39
Hey there!
Is the new version of the mod compatible with VRO?
How factions interact with all of the sectors it adds? Can theoretically one faction conquer all or is there a limit to their expansion?
Also - are storylines enabled and accessible?
If using VRO then don't use my Engines Mod. It should work fine, I usually don't add things if not in separated modules. XRSGE is a map overhaul with all the necessary stations added

There is no theoretical limit to expansion. But systems are more difficult to conquer bc they usually have their gates at the pheriphery, aka last planets or "oort clouds". Xenon/Split sectors are an exception and Sun sectors can have gates too

Storyline is untouched, as long as I did not remove some gate that is needed. F.i. I left the accelerators in Heart of Acrimony, only moved them. There is a Split's plot there, others I don't know

Keep in mind that I still have not resolved the issue with the bloated save game but there are some things that can be done to play with this limitation:
1) remove antivirus and firewall and file indexing (windows) in the documents/egosoft/X4 folder
2) Using UNCOMPRESSED save files. They can reach even 3.5 gb but you can zip them later, keeping only the last one uncompressed

Also some superhighways could not work properly, we are still testing things here... :doh:

btw...wait for later, I'll add version 0.3 within a few hours today

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 11. Jul 22, 15:01

XRSGE VERSION 0.3 IS OUT
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/507

Corrected all the text errors in names (in descriptions there can still be)
Corrected some superhighways not working
Added feature: slower superhighway transit
Mod is zipped but not compressed, hope this solves some visual glitches. Also makes future updates easier

You can even try to change things by yourself. The files have a lot of verbose notes so it's easy to find specific cluster's elements. If you have low fps you can remove the fog's entries in cluster.xml, they will be applied with next reload or gate passing through

Be aware that some of the visual glitches reported by users are not existent in my game, they can be either caused by the compressed file or because you lack the version 3.0 of STARS.
I'll upload an uncompressed version of STARS too, hope this eliminate any glitch.

Be sure there is no other mod conflicting especially no other mod changing all files included in MAPS or the file region_definition.xml

After testing I found out that one of the main cause for the bloated save file and long loading time is indeed region_definition.xml

Edit:
You can try starting a new game without this file and add it later in game. But as stated by DeadAir here viewtopic.php?f=181&t=448624 this will make new regions virtually invisible for AI. So I am thinking of creating a new light region_definition file that only has the resources for the AI for first game's start. To be replaced thereafter.
In my new sectors I added many "cosmetic" regions such as low orbit fog or huge asteroid belts or cluster-size nebulae. These can by removed by AI's storage without any big difference.

As always:
1) remove antivirus and firewall and file indexing (windows) in the documents/egosoft/X4 folder
2) Use UNCOMPRESSED save files. They can reach even 3.5 gb but you can zip them later, keeping only the last one uncompressed

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Mon, 11. Jul 22, 17:14

Now superighway travel time seems like forever. It's too slow. I barely make 5000 m/s after 3 minutes of acceleration :D
Oh...it's 10 km/s now and I only made 1/10 of the route

Cool - I can stand up and walk in my ship during the flight through superhighway now. I'll go get some tea - seems like it'll be a veery long fjourney :mrgreen:

Finally made it. It took about 10 min.
However, I'd like to say it was a great experience. Really immersive spaceflight while walking inside my ship and watching Argon Prime planet slowly grow in front of me.
Last edited by ziplock815 on Mon, 11. Jul 22, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 11. Jul 22, 17:26

ziplock815 wrote:
Mon, 11. Jul 22, 17:14
Now superighway travel time seems like forever. It's too slow. I barely make 5000 m/s after 3 minutes of acceleration :D
Oh...it's 10 km/s now and I only made 1/10 of the route
thanks for reporting, I still haven't seen it, struggling with the other issues I am :doh: :mrgreen:
It's easy to increase, open highwayconfigurations.xml and change

Code: Select all

<replace sel="/highwayconfigurations/tubeconfigurations/tubeconfiguration[@id='super_hw_tube_config']/acceleration/@base">0.0000001</replace>
    <replace sel="/highwayconfigurations/tubeconfigurations/tubeconfiguration[@id='experimental_tube_config']/acceleration/@base">0.0000001</replace>
	 <replace sel="/highwayconfigurations/tubeconfigurations/tubeconfiguration[@id='ring_tube_config']/acceleration/@base">0.0000001</replace>
to something with less zeros, 0.000001 or 0.00001 or 0.0001 :D

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”