[REALSPACE MODS] "STARS" - "XRSGE" - "REM" - various

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Realspace
x4

Re: [MOD] STARS - New skybox, nebulae and planets (V2.2 - 03/2022)

Post by Realspace » Fri, 25. Mar 22, 10:18

:D :D :D
At least you made me laugh..imagine a day messing with that thing then thinking...wtf, why am i doing this? This is not modding, this is work ego has not done and honestly it is somehow offensive how lazy the whole design is.

I own all their games, bought some twice. I spent months of my life modding x2-3/tc ap fl, Rebirth.. now x4...you know, there are things that I did not like but they were decently conceived to start with.

X3 had lowres everywhere but its design was very good, so one can mod it...but here?

Here we have a good tech, capable of great visual effects and a visual design that seems made by a drunken man to ruin it. It is not only Windfall, it's ugly things everywhere that are the result of a lazy hand not tech limitation.

This is beyond the aim of my efforts. Visuals are not the game, but bad visuals ruin every game and a nice illusion of space should be the base of every space game.

Edit: to be constructive, I will gladly go back to help make this game great when ego eventually releases any decent modding tool to modify layouts, shaders, etc inside the game, a proper editor. Otherwise everything is too much time consuming. One can do it for some parts but when it is so many then it is demoralizing. Imagine f.i. that I have to load the game after every parameter I change in planet's shader, to see the effect. Every single one...this is ages consuming

I invite you to take a look at the galaxy design and visuals I made for x3 fl ( see signature). Despite its limitation, x3 shines there. X4 has a tech largely more capable. So if you guys are too busy (this game is complex we know) please release the tools to help us improving the visuals and layout of galaxy/sectors that (at least by my view) are very rushed. I'll gladly do my part.
Last edited by Realspace on Fri, 25. Mar 22, 13:43, edited 12 times in total.

Mr.Freud
x4

Post by Mr.Freud » Fri, 25. Mar 22, 10:55

Realspace wrote:
Fri, 25. Mar 22, 10:18
:D :D :D
Ar least you made me laugh..imagine a day messing with that thing then thinking...wtf, why am i doing this? This is not modding, this is work ego has not done and onestly it is somehow offensive how lazy the whole design is.

I own all their games, bought some twice. I spent months of my life modding x2-3/tc ap fl, Rebirth.. now x4...you know, there are things that I did not like but they were decent.

X3 had lowres everywhere but its design was very good, so one can mod it...but here?

Here we have a good tech, capable of great visual effects and a visual design that seems made by a drunken man to ruin it. It is not only Windfall, it's ugly things everywhere that are the result of a lazy hand not tech limitation.

This is beyond the aim of my efforts. Visuals are not the game, but bad visuals ruin every game and a nice illusion of space should be the base of every space game
I can only imagine. Trying to make something which you love better but hitting the wall of very incompetent original design.
But can you skip the sector? Leave it as it is? You can even make a note at the front page that Windfall is original.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 25. Mar 22, 11:09

There was a voice in my head that told: don't buy that dlc, don't! I feared that the same would happen as with coh. It is demoralizing.

Actually I found a quick solution which is to completely remove the rectum...ehm..the tunnelfog nebula. Unfortunally that leaves a sector empy because volumetric fog is made to work with that.

Seems I can't mod the region_definition, if I only try to modify one parameter with proper diff then the sectors become pitch black.

Windfall iii, if I remember, that with lot of fog, is the best looking because the rectum....ehm the tunnel nebula, is invisible behind the fog. That sector looks fine. But if I remove the tunnel then the fog becomes darker. So I tried to change fog's parameters but the result is the above. Pitch black

The other solution would be to use another cluster entirely and replace it

Mr.Freud
x4

Post by Mr.Freud » Fri, 25. Mar 22, 11:17

Realspace wrote:
Fri, 25. Mar 22, 11:09
There was a voice in my head that told: don't buy that dlc, don't! I feared that the same would happen as with coh. It is demoralizing.

Actually I found a quick solution which is to completely remove the rectum...ehm..the tunnelfog nebula. Unfortunally that leaves a sector empy because volumetric fog is made to work with that.

Seems I can't mod the region_definition, if I only try to modify one parameter with proper diff then the sectors become pitch black.

Windfall iii, if I remember, that with lot of fog, is the best looking because the rectum....ehm the tunnel nebula, is invisible behind the fog. That sector looks fine. But if I remove the tunnel then the fog becomes darker. So I tried to change fog's parameters but the result is the above. Pitch black

The other solution would be to use another cluster entirely and replace it
yeah I even wanted to suggest removing the rectum... I mean the nebula entirely. :lol:
I regret buying the DLC. It doesnt add anything meanigfull except for stry line that's somewhat OK IMO. But even the strory feels half baked.
Edit: maybe something like that? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/713046553482813906/

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 25. Mar 22, 11:34

You know what would have been very nice and imaginative? Using a planet debris as in Rebirth: Albion and make it the center of pirate bases.

That was very nice looking, bases hiddend inside a huge destroyed planetoid, or a proper huge asteroid (what the rectum actually resembles more than...fog, but not with planets and star inside!).

C'mon it is sci-fi cliche, pirates and asteroids. Still can't understand why they did not use assets from Rebirth, they always did in X2/3. Some designs in Rebirth were good.

I think there is a guy here in the forum that ported all those assets, like stations and cluster. It'd be nice to use the albion planetoid + fog for Windfall...

Mr.Freud
x4

Post by Mr.Freud » Fri, 25. Mar 22, 12:07

Realspace wrote:
Fri, 25. Mar 22, 11:34
You know what would have been very nice and imaginative? Using a planet debris as in Rebirth: Albion and make it the center of pirate bases.

That was very nice looking, bases hiddend inside a huge destroyed planetoid, or a proper huge asteroid (what the rectum actually resembles more than...fog, but not with planets and star inside!).

C'mon it is sci-fi cliche, pirates and asteroids. Still can't understand why they did not use assets from Rebirth, they always did in X2/3. Some designs in Rebirth were good.

I think there is a guy here in the forum that ported all those assets, like stations and cluster. It'd be nice to use the albion planetoid + fog for Windfall...
Yes I remember the sector. Looked great. Would be aweseome as a replacement!

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 25. Mar 22, 13:32

If someone who knows how to mod region_definition reads this thread, please can you tell us how to add dense fog (large enough to cover the whole sector) in the other 2 Windfall sectors that don't have it?

With diffuse fog, the tunnel becomes barely visible, that way it can even look as a nebula in the distance

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Fri, 25. Mar 22, 15:37

I'm having the opposite problem. All this salty complaining has led me to remove the mod from my list. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth using it.
Let's Play Poorly! - Suboptimal X4 Playthroughs

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 25. Mar 22, 17:35

kmunoz wrote:
Fri, 25. Mar 22, 15:37
I'm having the opposite problem. All this salty complaining has led me to remove the mod from my list. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth using it.
You are very sensitive, my friend.. :roll:

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 25. Mar 22, 19:50

Good news...yesterday I was so tired that did not see a mistake I repeated in the new clusters.
Anyway, I removed the tunnel and now the cluster looks beautyful with proper lighting etc.
I will release a last version with this change, then take a break from modding and start PLAYING this game

Mr.Freud
x4

Post by Mr.Freud » Fri, 25. Mar 22, 19:53

Realspace wrote:
Fri, 25. Mar 22, 19:50
Good news...yesterday I was so tired that did not see a mistake I repeated in the new clusters.
Anyway, I removed the tunnel and now the cluster looks beautyful with proper lighting etc.
I will release a last version with this change, then take a break from modding and start PLAYING this game
awesome!

Tanvaras
x4

Post by Tanvaras » Sun, 27. Mar 22, 04:41

Realspace wrote:
Fri, 25. Mar 22, 10:18
I invite you to take a look at the galaxy design and visuals I made for x3 fl ( see signature). Despite its limitation, x3 shines there. X4 has a tech largely more capable. So if you guys are too busy (this game is complex we know) please release the tools to help us improving the visuals and layout of galaxy/sectors that (at least by my view) are very rushed. I'll gladly do my part.
[/color]
Always used your mods in the X series, reason why the X4 mod was an instant download!

Thank you :)
“We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”
“Talent is a pursued interest"
“Let's get crazy.”
“There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.”

Bob Ross, 29 October 1942 - 4 July 1995

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Wed, 30. Mar 22, 22:16

Anyone else get this, There seems to be an issue with emperor's pride, I just get a huge circular white graphical error instead of what is supposed to be there :?

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Wed, 30. Mar 22, 23:42

Bozz11 wrote:
Wed, 30. Mar 22, 22:16
Anyone else get this, There seems to be an issue with emperor's pride, I just get a huge circular white graphical error instead of what is supposed to be there :?
Yep. Same issue here. I've reported it as a bug on nexus page of the mod.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 31. Mar 22, 14:51

ziplock815 wrote:
Wed, 30. Mar 22, 23:42
Bozz11 wrote:
Wed, 30. Mar 22, 22:16
Yep. Same issue here. I've reported it as a bug on nexus page of the mod.
I'll take a look, maybe some texture is missing
I am working on version 3 of the mod, but it takes time since I work on each single cluster and many subtle changes not only the textures/shaders.

I've managed to have X3's style nebulae back, unfortunally since I can't export the XMF with blender I am limited to only one single model whose material I changed. I'd need copy/paste of the same model but with reference to a different material's entry because seems each XMF file already points to a specific material so changing the material references in cluster.xml and material_library.xml can't over do this limitation: one model, one material only.

Simply being able to edit the reference to the material inside the model, not modifying it, would be enough. As with the BOD exporter that we had for X3 that allowed to edit the material, leaving the mapping intact.

Anybody can help me with that? :gruebel:

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Thu, 31. Mar 22, 15:25

X3 style is finally back? That's good news :P

Wish I could help, but I don't understand a thing in modding :(

Realspace
x4

[MOD] STARS - New skybox, nebulae and planets (V2.5.1 - 04/2022)

Post by Realspace » Thu, 7. Apr 22, 12:52

Version 2.5.1 is available

(Please download also the patch 2.5.1 and put in the 2.5's folder)

This version is a complete remake of all previous visuals
New skybox and nebulae, some X3's styled
All planets have been redone, some have been replaced or moved

Tides of Avarice, Windfall, has been totally redone...take a look (I dont' want to spoil it :D )

Bonus X Menu mod available, a new start menu for TOA

I'll continue to fine-tune every single sector but hope it will need only small patches in the future, I am trying to work more on shaders than textures

This mod is the foundation for the other one I am working on which consists in a revamp of all the galaxy.
Not adding new clusters but only sectors inside the vanilla map, with different logic and many alpha/beta etc sectors inside that coincide with different orbital distances.
Longer superhighways going from planet to moon, etc

For ease of use I keep the two mods separated because the galaxy revamp needs a new game start, while this mod, stars, can be added/removed in any moment

I suggest to use the Camera Mod by Kuertee to better appreciate the scenery I created

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... it/?id=507

Please report any missing texture, etc.
Last edited by Realspace on Thu, 7. Apr 22, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.

Realspace
x4

your opinion

Post by Realspace » Thu, 7. Apr 22, 14:10

I want to ask your opinion about solar system

I've totally redone the stars and nebula. I think I've a bit overdone with visuals, making the solar system more similar to the other clusters in the game
I only let Earth cluster with a less "intrusive" nebula.
I don't know what I prefer, I generally like dark space and bright planets, for photo-fidelity (that is different from what an human eye can see) but who cares when the rest of the game has a certain mood?
Thanks

Tanvaras
x4

Re: [MOD] STARS - New skybox, nebulae and planets (V2.5.1 - 04/2022)

Post by Tanvaras » Thu, 7. Apr 22, 23:25

Realspace wrote:
Thu, 7. Apr 22, 12:52
Version 2.5.1 is available

(Please download also the patch 2.5.1 and put in the 2.5's folder)

This version is a complete remake of all previous visuals
New skybox and nebulae, some X3's styled
All planets have been redone, some have been replaced or moved

Tides of Avarice, Windfall, has been totally redone...take a look (I dont' want to spoil it :D )

Bonus X Menu mod available, a new start menu for TOA

I'll continue to fine-tune every single sector but hope it will need only small patches in the future, I am trying to work more on shaders than textures

This mod is the foundation for the other one I am working on which consists in a revamp of all the galaxy.
Not adding new clusters but only sectors inside the vanilla map, with different logic and many alpha/beta etc sectors inside that coincide with different orbital distances.
Longer superhighways going from planet to moon, etc

For ease of use I keep the two mods separated because the galaxy revamp needs a new game start, while this mod, stars, can be added/removed in any moment

I suggest to use the Camera Mod by Kuertee to better appreciate the scenery I created

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... it/?id=507

Please report any missing texture, etc.
Hot damn, been waiting for your update. This is a mod I always use, due to the quality and how much it improves the visuals.

Looks brilliant! Now to get back into a new game with the sector backgrounds looking amazing once again.
“We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”
“Talent is a pursued interest"
“Let's get crazy.”
“There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.”

Bob Ross, 29 October 1942 - 4 July 1995

ziplock815

Re: your opinion

Post by ziplock815 » Fri, 8. Apr 22, 01:18

Realspace wrote:
Thu, 7. Apr 22, 14:10
I want to ask your opinion about solar system

I've totally redone the stars and nebula. I think I've a bit overdone with visuals, making the solar system more similar to the other clusters in the game
I only let Earth cluster with a less "intrusive" nebula.
I don't know what I prefer, I generally like dark space and bright planets, for photo-fidelity (that is different from what an human eye can see) but who cares when the rest of the game has a certain mood?
Thanks
Just. Wow.
Great work with nebulae and stars. Egosoft should definitely employ you.
I've found some small issues while checking it out: a moon in Memory of Profit 9 is missing textures, Venus seems to be a bit pixelated and Earth looks pale - I think it'd better to make it more....colorful. And a few words about solar system: most planets look great, but The Milky Way looks more like a big nebulae rather than galaxy it is. I suggest to take a look to Space Engine, maybe you could do something like that in this wonderful mod. It'd be nice to finally see realistic Milky Way in Sol system in X series :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”