[Mod] Starbright: Variable sector sunlight levels

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Alkeena
x4

[Mod] Starbright: Variable sector sunlight levels

Post by Alkeena » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 09:23

Recently the Egosoft CEO suggested during an interview with Captain Collins that they would like to be able adjust sector sunlight levels to vary the economic landscape a bit but that they didn't feel they could do it for backwards compatibility reasons.

So I did it as a mod. Available on the Nexus and also on Steam Workshop.

The values that I've set are mostly arbitrary and I honestly have no idea what impact they'll really have on the economy. Feedback is more than welcome :-)
Last edited by Alkeena on Mon, 15. Mar 21, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Max Bain
x3ap

Re: New Mod: Starbright: Variable sector sunlight levels

Post by Max Bain » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 10:29

Alkeena wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 09:23
Recently the Egosoft CEO suggested during an interview with Captain Collins that they would like to be able adjust sector sunlight levels to vary the economic landscape a bit but that they didn't feel they could do it for backwards compatibility reasons.

So I did it as a mod. Available on the Nexus and also on Steam Workshop.

The values that I've set are mostly arbitrary and I honestly have no idea what impact they'll really have on the economy. Feedback is more than welcome :-)
Awesome! I wanted to create such a mod as well with a different approach (calculating the minable resources in a sector and depending on that setting the sun light factor (so sectors with low minable resources would have higher sunlight to compensate) but I really like your approach even better because its more realistic. Will definately play with it in my next game.

Thank you! Saves me a lot of work I would have spent into it :D
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 14:26

Good work, although I hope Egosoft will implement this, at least for new game starts.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

st3k
x4

Post by st3k » Wed, 10. Mar 21, 06:55

Good mod, thank you. :)

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Thu, 11. Mar 21, 02:17

Thank you for doing proper diffs that will not have compatibility issues!

Cyres
x4

Post by Cyres » Thu, 11. Mar 21, 12:25

DeadAirRT wrote:
Thu, 11. Mar 21, 02:17
Does this mean this is compatible with your faction mods?

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Thu, 11. Mar 21, 15:33

Cyres wrote:
Thu, 11. Mar 21, 12:25
DeadAirRT wrote:
Does this mean this is compatible with your faction mods?
Yup, Alkeena did the diffs in the best way possible so it should work with any mod that adds sectors (assuming they also did it correctly).

Cyres
x4

Post by Cyres » Thu, 11. Mar 21, 18:52

Wow, that's nice. Great work!

Alkeena
x4

Post by Alkeena » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 16:06

DeadAirRT wrote:
8)

MHDriver
x4

Re: [Mod] Starbright: Variable sector sunlight levels

Post by MHDriver » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 19:48

I believe with 4.0 the production of energy cells will vary with the level of light from the star in the system. Higher sector light levels = greater energy cell production. Example, in the Mercury system the light level is 600% of the baseline which is figured by the level in the Earth sector.

Alkeena
x4

Post by Alkeena » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 19:56

MHDriver wrote:
Mon, 15. Mar 21, 19:48
I believe with 4.0 the production of energy cells will vary with the level of light from the star in the system. Higher sector light levels = greater energy cell production. Example, in the Mercury system the light level is 600% of the baseline which is figured by the level in the Earth sector.
Yep. Though unless the devs have changed their minds it will only apply to the new sectors in CoH. Old sectors will all retain their 100% efficiency.

I'd personally love it if the devs did change their mind. Until then, this gives players an option to see some of that variation in this dimension in the rest of the vanilla galaxy in case they choose not to.

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Mon, 15. Mar 21, 20:14

Alkeena wrote:
Mon, 15. Mar 21, 19:56
MHDriver wrote:
Mon, 15. Mar 21, 19:48
Yep. Though unless the devs have changed their minds it will only apply to the new sectors in CoH. Old sectors will all retain their 100% efficiency.

I'd personally love it if the devs did change their mind. Until then, this gives players an option to see some of that variation in this dimension in the rest of the vanilla galaxy in case they choose not to.
Seems a bit to only apply new mechanics to the new sectors but I suppose they don't want to impact players with extensive factory networks already established in older saves..

Tanvaras
x4

Post by Tanvaras » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 01:40

I was trying to not mod my first new game with CoH but since the sunlight is only applied to new zones (Who thought this was a good idea to gimp the game somewhat) and not being retro-active across the whole universe. I am going to have to mod my game with this mod.

Thanks for creating it and look forward to having it is the main mod in my New Start with CoH :)
“We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”
“Talent is a pursued interest"
“Let's get crazy.”
“There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.”

Bob Ross, 29 October 1942 - 4 July 1995

Lyzah
x4

Post by Lyzah » Sun, 1. May 22, 10:15

Hello, thanks for the mod. The mod no longer seems to work in version 5:10. The sectors are all 100% like vanilla.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 3. May 22, 10:49

Lyzah wrote:
Sun, 1. May 22, 10:15
Hello, thanks for the mod. The mod no longer seems to work in version 5:10. The sectors are all 100% like vanilla.
You can extract the vanilla mapdefaults, copy and edit the values which are very straight, put in a new mod's folder. It is very easy.
Btw in my next mod, a galaxy remake, I change those values too, according to the new clusters, some are close to sun ones.
Still haven't checked if this affects the sunlight in game. The parameter is there thou..

Brokando
x4

Post by Brokando » Mon, 30. May 22, 14:02

Realspace wrote:
Tue, 3. May 22, 10:49
Lyzah wrote:
Sun, 1. May 22, 10:15
You can extract the vanilla mapdefaults, copy and edit the values which are very straight, put in a new mod's folder. It is very easy.
Btw in my next mod, a galaxy remake, I change those values too, according to the new clusters, some are close to sun ones.
Still haven't checked if this affects the sunlight in game. The parameter is there thou..
I would be happy if someone could provide this. I do not know exactly how to do it.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”