Egosoft, have you completed the move to blender yet? Any news?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Axeface
x4

Egosoft, have you completed the move to blender yet? Any news?

Post by Axeface » Mon, 26. Apr 21, 02:03

I saw in one of the streams that you are planning to move entirely to blender, have you completed this change yet? I ask because everytime I try to get a ship into the game I hit a brick wall. It is incredibly complicated, frustrating and frankly soul destroying making ships for this game. This is partly because the complexity of these ships being on another level compared to x3, but we are also using outdated tools that were designed for another game. Much of what is required to make decent looking ships, things that I am sure you are able to place within 3dsmax, for modders have to be placed manually in xml rather than placed within blender - all the while with simple things like scale and rotation issues constantly hindering my progress. This makes doing so many things incredibly hard, for me at least as a person that cant get to grips with xml. Also, we cant even attempt to edit character models.

Is there any news on this? Is there any update on any possibility of some tools? A tool to allow us to place things like S or M cockpits as a group, for example, and move them, and export without having to adjust the plethora of parts all manually would be a godsend, for me at least.

For me personally, simply worded (eg, written for a beginner, not someone that has 20 years xml experience) tutorials would be incredibly helpful.

I think that more support for modders has the potential to generate a lot of interest in this game, especially things like the starwars mod. While they specifically dont seem to have any problems getting ships into the game, things to make the process easier for the less intelligent such as myself would probably spawn many more mod projects and interest. You say you appreciate your modding community, you even hinted that that community saved your company once (ap/tc? which am proud to have been a small part of), yet so far other than a very helpful and friendly presence on the forums we're yet to see an application or tool.

|K.O.S.H.
x3tc

Re: Egosoft, have you completed the move to blender yet? Any news?

Post by |K.O.S.H. » Mon, 26. Apr 21, 12:35

Why dont you just use blender?

i have the same problem.
I'm able to add a new ship with scene and all the stuff in X3 within 30min, using 3DSM.
i completely failed witrh the X4-stuff.

I just descided to use blender in the future...
Wing Commander Mod - German Topic
06.07.11 - v1.1 RELEASED!

aurumgallente
x4

Post by aurumgallente » Wed, 28. Apr 21, 09:58

I asked DocAce today, there no any news about that. For you it's better to join Discord and ask people for help. I like xml structures and this is the easiest part of modding for me but texturing is frustrating, there is no good tutorials about texturing.
If it can help, I can make tutorial about xml structure for ships.

lordofpie7000
x4

Post by lordofpie7000 » Wed, 28. Apr 21, 17:43

I'm still hoping for supported npc model importing, and rig/animation documentation (even if basic). I'd love to port npc models into the game.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”