XR/X4 Model Converter Issues

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

MutantDwarf
x4

XR/X4 Model Converter Issues

Post by MutantDwarf » Mon, 3. May 21, 01:33

I'm attempting to make a modification of the HQ from this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2246444117

I'm re-aligning the station, some parts, and the ports so that they're actually aligned correctly (so each one is exactly 60 degrees from the others); I'm also fixing some just general bugs in the mod as I'm doing it (there are some errant vertices, some missing faces, etc in it as-is).

Anyways, it took a few hours in Blender but the model is all set up properly now as far as I know - now I just need to convert it back to X4 format from DAE format. That's where I'm running into trouble.

First problem: The XRConvertersMain.exe program claims that one of the parts is made up of multiple meshes, and that's apparently bad. As far as I can tell in Blender, it's only a single object. I've even gone through and deleted every single part of Blender hierarchy except the given object and it's still claiming that this object - the only object in the entire scene - is made up of multiple meshes, and is refusing to do anything due to that.

What does XRConvertersMain.exe mean when it says something is made up of multiple meshes, and is there any way to actually check for those - or to combine meshes into one mesh - in Blender? It's not that there are disconnected parts of the same object - the converter has no issues with that in a different part of the same scene (and the object that I'm having difficulty with is all one connected piece anyways).

Second problem: Attempting to convert some files from DAE back to XML that you converted from XML to DAE results in an error (in other words, the files that the converter outputs are themselves apparently not compatible with conversion in the other direction). It gives the error message "File has no <component> element". Is this expected?

Making zero changes to the scene - just converting the object to DAE, importing the DAE into Blender, then exporting as a different DAE, and attempting to convert back to XML/XMF - results in the same error from the first problem, rather than the "no <component>" error in the second problem.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: BrummBear and Luca have both helpfully pointed out the fix/source for the problem.

Apparently certain "loose" vertices and edges can screw up the conversion back into XML/XMF format, but don't cause any issues going from XML/XMF into DAE. This can be fixed by:

* Select the offending object in Blender in Object Mode
* Switch to Edit Mode
* Select all vertices in the object
* Click Mesh->Clean Up->Delete Loose

This will delete the problematic vertices/edges/etc. If multiple objects are offending, you can select multiple of them prior to switching to Edit mode in order to clean them all up at once.

Having multiple materials on the same object can also cause this error message, though that's not what the issue was for me.
Last edited by MutantDwarf on Tue, 4. May 21, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

NodusCursorius
x4

Re: XR/X4 Model Converter Issues

Post by NodusCursorius » Mon, 3. May 21, 10:33

BrummBear - Today at 12:10am
Can someone tell him I'll gladly help if he comes discord? It's a lot to explain and id rather have a direct conversation
https://discord.gg/J8u6Kdc

Also, for the sake of those who Google after you two - please try to relay the information back to here.
This isn't about death. This is about what you learn from death. Never hollow.

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Mon, 3. May 21, 21:42

Somehow I forgot about that Discord, yet I'm already on it and used to monitor it.

Thanks - I'll post what I learn (whether things work out or not).

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Tue, 4. May 21, 00:01

BrummBear and Luca on the Discord have helpfully pointed to the solution to the problem. I've updated the OP with the solution.

daBeschi
x4

Post by daBeschi » Tue, 11. May 21, 10:17

Hello,

Do you plan on releasing your MOD to the community? I'm curious to see haw it turned out.

Greetings

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”