Attempts to re-scale the game board

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

marcus-s

Attempts to re-scale the game board

Post by marcus-s » Sat, 5. Jun 21, 15:56

Hello everyone,

my first post here. I am a new player though, but I have already looked at the option with the mods, and am using some cosmetics right now, such as Real Space (ReShade) and NoSuperHighways.

I wanted to increase the scale of the game board because I feel things are very condensed together, as space is mind-boggingly huge, and I thought it would be cool if it would take a little longer to fly from station to station or to the next jump gate. For this reason I have found this tool: X4 Customizer (https://github.com/bvbohnen/X4_Customizer/). It is basically a GUI that lets you construct a script which creates an extension, with the parameters you feed into it.

There is a call:

Code: Select all

Scale_Sector_Size

With this call, you can re-scale sectors as the name says, to any arbitrary number you choose. For example you could enter 0.5 to shrink every sector to half its normal size. So I thought: OK! I can make sectors as big as I want... I started with a value of 1000. Also there is a call that also moves every object according to the scaling size... so station and object coordinates would be multiplied accordingly. That should do fine for starters...

After some fiddling I managed to make an extension of that (but only worked with Vanilla extensions, does not work with VRO).

This is where the issue lies: even when I scale the sector just by a factor of 10, the loading screen of a new game gets stuck at 57%, sometimes 59%. Well, not really stuck as in crashing or hanging... I checked in Windows Task Manager. What actually happens seems to be directly related to this adjusted scale of the game board. Memory fills up slowly but surely, and the processor is doing something all right. With other tests, for example a scale of 1000.0, loading the game ended up consuming all my RAM and then crashed.

It is a pity as I would like bigger sector size. So I guess there is nothing I can do at this time... Just in case someone also wants to attempt that: not gonna work.

marcus-s

Re: Attempts to re-scale the game board

Post by marcus-s » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 11:44

UPDATE!

After some fiddling around I have managed to create a scaled version of the map. The culprit was the call "scale_regions", which defaulted to true. I have set this to false, now the game loads perfectly fine - no matter what scale I use.

Here is my mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/733

Realspace
x4

Re: Attempts to re-scale the game board

Post by Realspace » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 11:46

H! What a conjunction of vision, I am testing your mod, I was going to do the same but happy you already did. After the cosmetics I feel the need of a larger space that at least SEEMS space, not boxes.

How vast can a sector be made before the hud goes crazy? I'd like to have a game with huuuuge sectors, each comprising many assets of a race such as from low orbit of the main planet up to the closest moons.
Not necessarly a 1:1 scale, even a 1:10 scale would be nice, like moons 50.000 km away (instead of a realistic 500.000)
Then accelerators between planets and gates between systems, no superhighway (no hw too of course)

I've never really played this game so can't know what happen when it has to keep records of all things inside such a big sector. It does not generate things on the fly as Elite so troubles can happen

Also, did you test any other changes in the travel engine such as longer cooldown or slower accelerations? I quite dislike the instant in/out travel mode.

Is there any cruise-stop missile or such in vanilla game? (This is a vanilla problem too, you can travel through dangerous sectors and nobody can touch you)
Maybe a modified version of Encounters Mod could do the trick, like pirates/xenons randomly disrupting player's cruise

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”