Travel Speed, Seti, production overhaul mod?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

raythnor
x3

Travel Speed, Seti, production overhaul mod?

Post by raythnor » Wed, 9. Jun 21, 01:26

Has anyone made a mod that overhauls the game to remove the travel drive, rebalance the production accordingly, make the seti standard and rebalance a few other things to make it work without the travel drive, potentially including AI interactions?

The reason I ask is that I often think back to X3, remember when space was actually dangerous. I had to be prepared to take on pirates or other things that may pop up. In X4 I can just travel drive past everything, I dont even need the safety of a highway. In X3 I recall times where I was in a small fighter and had to take cover in stations until the threat passed by, or plan very long routes around dangerous spots in sectors. Mines are practically worthless, I just travel drive through the minefield and dont get touched. I can also abuse the crap out of the AI catch them in travel mode but they have no hope of doing the same to me.

Obviously to really fix it you cant just remove the travel mode, you have to rebalance the production times accordingly, potentially mod a few ships speeds, fix how a few missions work so that when I'm travelling with seti on the event time is changed so that I have time to get to the destination. I'm not completely opposed to highways, I think they are a fine addition, but we should probably also remove the ones that go through the gates, so that you can't just fly through enemy sectors so easily. They could have the highway entrances and exits 5-10 km away from the gates. We could add jump drives in but limit them a lot more to help the AI respond to invasions. I could picture having jump drives that only allow you to jump to gates your faction controls(sector claimed by you or a faction you are high enough rep with), and maybe only for size XL military ships, but that seems like a massive rewrite to the way the game works, especially given the AI needs to use it for the response to invasions.

SirNukes
x4

Re: Travel Speed, Seti, production overhaul mod?

Post by SirNukes » Wed, 9. Jun 21, 20:39

I have a personal mod that does this in general. The main caveat is that I also shrink all of the sectors by ~half to offset the increased travel time. Ships speeds are somewhat more normalized based on class/size, with an x3 style smaller = faster.

However, I stopped playing before putting a lot of hours into it, and there are so many little things that would need adjustment that I wasn't comfortable releasing it. Notably, all of the hardcoded sector positions in the various plots are hard to track down. I also didn't get around to messing with production rates, though I don't think that is super important.

What I have is in an X4 Customizer script, here:
https://github.com/bvbohnen/x4-projects ... _Script.py

The sector rescaling itself is in the customizer code. It forms a model of all of the object in a given sector, including resource regions and such, and then contracts the objects together while following some rules to prevent them getting too close, to keep stuff in regions inside those regions, etc.

Realspace
x4

Re: Travel Speed, Seti, production overhaul mod?

Post by Realspace » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 11:08

I haven't played X4 much, I still stick to X3 for the ease to modify it but...isn't there any kind of cruise-stop missile or such as there was in Freelancer?
That would make the best of the two game's styles bc what you say about X3 is what I also like in the early game, space is dangerous, but also I hate the small boxes that is X3's universe.

I am giving a try to a modified X4 universe done by a modder with SirNuke's tool (thanks man!) that has sectors 10 times larger so are the travel speeds. This completely opens to the vastness of space which is a great thing.
I created a similar vast sector's map in X3 but it was different bc seta is only for player while travel engine is for all, so it can work better in X4.

Some mechanics are needed as scripted pirates/xenons that can interrupt your course, such as a modified encounters mod. And special missiles to stop the travel engine.
One could even have less sectors but each comprising at least a space going from low orbit to Lagrange or even to the closest moon. I Know X4 is not Elite and keeps record of anything created ingame so maybe that would slow down the late game. Ranting... :D

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”