[MOD] Random Galaxy Tool - Second Realignment

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

General Vash
x4

Re: [MOD] Random Galaxy Tool - Second Realignment

Post by General Vash » Fri, 10. Dec 21, 15:35

alexalsp wrote:
Tue, 7. Dec 21, 14:39
I don’t understand why to make a tool originally sharpened for other mods. We must first make an instrument for a vanilla game, and then try to make Wishlist.
But you know better.

:wink:
I did design it to work for vanilla first, but as Shuulo observed it also works with some of my most often used mods just because I got lucky, so I thought I'd mention them as already tested. And while I was at it, I figured I might as well mention the ones I wish to make compatible.
Newinger wrote:
Wed, 8. Dec 21, 16:11
Awesome idea!

How do the sectors look visually?
I took the backdrops from vanilla and assigned them randomly with one of the sector soundtracks from vanilla, also randomly assigned. Except for Sol, which I made sure had Earth as a background. The fog and asteroid belts are taken from DeadAir Gate Overhaul, but I switched the fog regions for volumetric fog because the volumetric fog performs better, and I changed the color to a standard hazy fog rather than the resource-specific colors that DeadAir was going for. The reason I used his region definitions is that they have boundaries to prevent them from stretching infinitely into the distance, so the game loads up faster (I was having load times of 15 minutes using vanilla region definitions).
One thing I have noticed is that some sectors will have similarities due to the resource region placements. So, the same asteroid belt might show up multiple times. But, you probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't mentioned it here.

General Vash
x4

Post by General Vash » Fri, 10. Dec 21, 15:52

gmargaro wrote:
Tue, 7. Dec 21, 16:39
Hello,

Just one thing, there can be multiple sectors with the same name.
For example, in my game, I have 2 "Tharka's ravine" sectors.
Nice catch, that's actually an issue which was probably unique to Tharka's Ravine - I had that one twice in my dictionary of sector names. Should be fixed.

spccasey
x4

Post by spccasey » Tue, 14. Dec 21, 23:22

Any plans to allow us to decide the percentage of the universe is populated by pirates and unknown aliens?

Tanvaras
x4

Post by Tanvaras » Wed, 15. Dec 21, 00:16

WoW, just WoW! - "You are a Steely Eyed Missile Man"

This is something Egosoft need to add into the game as an option when creating a new game, and credit you in some big shining Billboard on a station!
“We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”
“Talent is a pursued interest"
“Let's get crazy.”
“There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.”

Bob Ross, 29 October 1942 - 4 July 1995

Jaskan

Post by Jaskan » Wed, 15. Dec 21, 22:15

When is this going to be compatible with dynamic wars ?

Better yet you could give us Christmas present by updating the Extension Options of Dynamic wars to include all factions.

Currently dynamic wars does not include faction relation settings for Xenon, Khak, Yak and others would be great to add such feature to your mod.
I find the faction relations the most useful part of dynamic wars, but its shame xenon etc are not in there.

And very unfortunately DeadAir has retired from x4 moding, Are you kind enough to continue Dynamic Wars .

I hope egosoft realise moders like yourself and Deadair contribute to the sales of X4, cause i wount touch this incomplete game without DynbamicWars for example.

Thanks for the contribution

General Vash
x4

Post by General Vash » Wed, 15. Dec 21, 23:56

Jaskan wrote:
Wed, 15. Dec 21, 22:15
When is this going to be compatible with dynamic wars ?

Better yet you could give us Christmas present by updating the Extension Options of Dynamic wars to include all factions.

Currently dynamic wars does not include faction relation settings for Xenon, Khak, Yak and others would be great to add such feature to your mod.
I find the faction relations the most useful part of dynamic wars, but its shame xenon etc are not in there.

And very unfortunately DeadAir has retired from x4 moding, Are you kind enough to continue Dynamic Wars .

I hope egosoft realise moders like yourself and Deadair contribute to the sales of X4, cause i wount touch this incomplete game without DynbamicWars for example.

Thanks for the contribution
So, the change I have to make for Dynamic Wars is a small insertion of a list that includes 'dead' factions so that I can exclude those factions from the events. This is relatively simple, and I already have done so for my own use. However, I need to make some adjustments to the UI of the web app and then generate the appropriate xml files if the user selects Dynamic Wars as a mod that they intend to use with their random galaxy. While not incredibly difficult, I am at heart somewhat lazy, so I haven't got around to it yet. I'm thinking probably in the next two weeks I'll have some mods officially supported, along with some small tweaks to economy jobs and faction starting stations. I wanted to play in a random galaxy for a few days to see what needed to be adjusted.

Adding additional features to dynamic wars is not within the scope of this mod, and I'm working on other projects as well, so I probably won't be enabling additional factions. The galaxies generated don't presently include HAT, SCA, YAK, or FAF anyway, but I do plan to scatter some pirate bases around the place in the future. Xenon relations shouldn't really be dynamic, since they are genocidal robots.

As for officially supporting dynamic wars, I don't think I'm going to volunteer to pick up other people's projects, at least not at this time.

DragonEye501
x3ap

Post by DragonEye501 » Thu, 16. Dec 21, 02:57

This looks incredible, best of luck to polishing it up and adding those new features! Just don't let it die you beautiful bastard, YOU HEAR ME!? DON'T LET IT DIE!

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 08:39

maybe ... the app can be expanded to also export out language files that replace faction names?
is that doable? or out of scope for this mod?
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

General Vash
x4

Post by General Vash » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 19:48

kuertee wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 08:39
maybe ... the app can be expanded to also export out language files that replace faction names?
It is doable for sure, and I probably don't need to create my own language files...I'd just have to replace the strings I'm using with references to entries in the t file. Or do you mean have names that aren't the same as the vanilla game?

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Sun, 19. Dec 21, 00:39

General Vash wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 19:48
kuertee wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 08:39
It is doable for sure, and I probably don't need to create my own language files...I'd just have to replace the strings I'm using with references to entries in the t file. Or do you mean have names that aren't the same as the vanilla game?
yeah, names that aren't in the vanilla game. it's an idea that came about from a reddit thread about X4 feeling like The Expanse TV show. and i suggested that they generate a universe with your app but with only human factions. https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/ ... e_have_to/

then i thought, that maybe, replacing the vanilla faction names in the language files would be a good next step.

HOWEVER, now that i think about it, the languages will need to be packed into the x4 data file, so ... maybe ... not as straightforward as i thought. ALSO, after looking at the English language file, the faction names are embedded into many entries; it's not only one change.
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

General Vash
x4

Post by General Vash » Sun, 19. Dec 21, 19:00

Yeah...I'm not opposed necessarily to that idea since you could add, for example, three or four argon race factions with random names and have like a civil war going on. But I think that it would have to happen after a couple more patches to my mod, since it seems like a pretty big change given the number of hours it would take to implement. At the moment I'm still hammering out the basics and making sure that the random galaxy plays well. I want the economies not to stall out and the militaries to feel effective, then I'll start adding additional features to the generation.

st3k
x4

Post by st3k » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 10:16

OP THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR MOD!

I have 2500 hours played in X4 and with this mod I can push this number even further.

If you don't mind I would like to provide some feedback regarding randomgen.

1. Is it possible to add option for Pirate factions?
2. Is it possible to add option for player owned sectors?
3. Is it possible that when you enter the sector - sector name to be pronounced?
4. When you "populating" universe it fells factions "sticks" to each other and leaving some parts of map unpopulated (205 sectors where each faction has 10 leaves 100 sectors unpopulated in one of the corners)
5. Is it possible to add option to adjust relationships between factions?
6. Is it possible to integrate your mod with "customised start" in vanilla game?

P.s. I also posted link to this topic on X4 reddit, if you dont mind (I will delete it, if you will request to do so)
Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/ ... alaxy_mod/

Thank you for your work.

General Vash
x4

Post by General Vash » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 17:22

st3k wrote:
Wed, 22. Dec 21, 10:16
1. Is it possible to add option for Pirate factions?
2. Is it possible to add option for player owned sectors?
3. Is it possible that when you enter the sector - sector name to be pronounced?
4. When you "populating" universe it fells factions "sticks" to each other and leaving some parts of map unpopulated (205 sectors where each faction has 10 leaves 100 sectors unpopulated in one of the corners)
5. Is it possible to add option to adjust relationships between factions?
6. Is it possible to integrate your mod with "customised start" in vanilla game?
1 - I am planning to add pirate factions in at some point soonish. Khaak are also not functional but are less of a priority.
2 - I am planning to have a game start where the player starts off with a shipyard and a wharf with a few supporting stations...it will be pretty hard to keep up with other factions who start off with more space, but should be fun. Maybe I can have one start where the player is hostile to everyone and one where he is neutral.
3 - I don't think I can have the sector names voiced because I don't have the voice actor to record the lines. Unless Egosoft used a computer to read the names...I don't know. It's not a high priority.
4 - There isn't anything that makes it more likely for factions to border each other as opposed to starting off on opposite ends of the map, so you might have just been unlucky if you generated a bunch of maps and got similar results each time.
5 - I am working to make this tool compatible with DeadAir's Dynamic Wars mod...you can use his mod immediately, but it will have events for factions that don't exist. I'm going to have the web page ask the user which mods they intend to use and then I will generate compatibility patches for supported mods to fix little issues like this, but I'm trying to get things working for vanilla randomized maps before I do mods
6 - I don't really know anything about customized start, so I don't know.

No worries about posting the forum post on Reddit, free publicity being what it is. Thanks for your interest. Next patch will be soon, I need to add scout jobs back in for military faction logic, but I am playing through a small map to look at economy balance before I push out patch 2.

djmidex
x4

Post by djmidex » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 00:04

Great work!

KongDeluxe
x4

Post by KongDeluxe » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 00:31

Great Job! Makes the game a lot more interesting

General Vash
x4

Post by General Vash » Tue, 28. Dec 21, 02:07

So, the free tier of service I am using for this app can only do 550 hours per month, and I've hit 80% of those hours for December. There may be some downtime before the next month rolls around...I'll try to think of a way that's simpler for people to maybe get the tool for desktop from my git page instead. I'll add something to the readme for technically savvy people, but I obviously don't expect most people to build and run from source. The new year is just around the corner, but I'll have to see how the usage hours add up for January and decide what to do at that point.

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Mon, 3. Jan 22, 22:52

Trying this out now, does it generate minor factions?

Edit:
I created a galaxy where most factions have 2 or 3 sectors. I really like the economy is just starting out, very few stations and so you can really influence the development of the galaxy. Really wish they made this a custom game variant for the base game. Have each faction start with just a few zones.

Some observations though. There is way too much of ore and gas mining opportunities in most sectors. I would suggest cutting the amount of gas areas generated by -50%. There is also a bit too much ore around and the yields are ridicilous with most being around 0.5 . Suggestion to cut the spawning of various ore areas by 30% and introduce much more randomness to the yields. I think most yields in base game map are around 0.1 .

General Vash
x4

Post by General Vash » Tue, 4. Jan 22, 14:59

Thanks for checking it out! I agree that yields and resource locations are a bit too plentiful in general, however that part of the generation was done by Celludriel and I haven't reverse engineered it yet. He isn't really active on this project so it might be some time before I can tweak the resources more significantly than just reducing their spawn rate. I was reluctant to do that, however, since some factions might end up being completely denied access to a raw resource. Anyway, I'll adjust it eventually and probably add sliders to the tool for resource scarcity.

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Tue, 4. Jan 22, 20:13

Other improvement I suggest is being able to manually place faction start sectors but I'm not sure how feasible that is to do.

enriquan
x3tc

Post by enriquan » Sun, 27. Feb 22, 18:15

How would I enable custom start to this? I'd like to begin as my own faction with some sectors and prebuilt stations...

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”