[OLD] XRSGE - Galaxy REMAKE

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

John Colman

Re: [WIP] XRSGE - Galaxy REMAKE

Post by John Colman » Fri, 24. Jun 22, 12:12

Realspace wrote:
Fri, 24. Jun 22, 00:08
I regrouped some of the vanilla "systems" into bigger ones. My systems are generally much larger, some are as Terran Sol, some have less planets but definetly much more than even vanilla description.
I did the same with my mods for X Rebirth where i included Midnight Star and Aguilars Belt into one System https://www.nexusmods.com/xrebirth/mods/549 , but that is because they neighbour each other in X3 and have the same Backgroundstars, the same sun and nearly the same planets, aswell as no lore mentioning them beeing separate. It is mentioned somewhere in the lore about the gateshutdown, that there actually were Jumpgate connections within some systems.
Realspace wrote:
Fri, 24. Jun 22, 00:08
There is always an earthlike planet, a mars-like and a gas giant, in every system.
Well i think its pretty boring and also very unrealistic. Star systems can differ a lot, in the games aswell as in reality. Not every star provides the environment for habitable worlds and gas giants cannot form in systems with bright shining stars which provide alot of Solar winds. Also for story related aspects its boring when every system is like each other and people in these systems didnt had to fight for their survival during the gate shutdown because their systems lack specific ressources or planets. For example, look at the DeVries-System from XR. The Canterans didnt have access to a habitable world, few ice in the system and a crumbling fleet of stations and ships. This shaped their society and gave them a recognizable unique style, which enriches the game world. In the systems i added to XR i made the systems as unique as possible. Not every one has a habitable world, one doesnt even have planets at all. Some are darker and others brighter with 2 or 3 suns. Also the ressources differ vastly, some are being rich, others are poor or have only specific ressources, sometimes even in larger quantities. This forces players to plan their approaches more wisely because not every system has everything in it and i think it gives way to a more fun experience.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sat, 25. Jun 22, 09:23

Yep good point. Let's say that Rebirth despite very limited in the galaxy already was born with more variety and art. X4 is a collection of random sectors. I considered the idea that each faction at start had at least colonized one habitable Sol-like system, which should be not so rare according to "reality"

My original idea was to keep the mod very compact in order to then add some more "explorative" sectors in harsh places...fact is that for how the game manages the travel for long distances (gates/superhighways), exploration is not-existing. A nice game's mechanics would be to be able to build superhighways in the game. That would change a lot, bc with this engine and after the mod I made on the skyboxes, you could even put an entire system inside a sector. Even with high speed the travel would be too long but it would be nice to explore a region that is not connected, say a giant's rings region, and build a conection thereafter.

I used the superhighways a lot for expanding these huge regions of space. If in vanilla you jump from sector to sector inside even a planetary system, with my mod jumping is only at minimum two solar eclyptics, otherwise you can go from planet to moons of even to the closer planet (milions kms) by superhws so in theory this huge interplanetary space exists in game, you could navigate and find things. Yes, it would take days even at very high speed. I used a scaled distancing, still huge (in terms of millions kms). What I'd like is to make this work for gaming. Because making more random sectors, eyecandy blackholes etc which are just backdrops, they don't change the mechanics of jumping from a box to another. There is an implicit contrast between these two game's aspects: exploration and mass economy. The latter requires the boxes otherwise the game could freeze with all the simulation going on, but exploration suffers this "boxing".

I regrouped the sectors in system's connections aka super-hws and accelerators, still the sectors exist so, even if a sector is in anothe system, a faction should conquer it the same way as in vanilla. I think this is nice in action, a faction taking an external region of another faction's system. Game works the same, except that systems are more protected now having few external gates.

After the original idea I went very far, maybe I overdid but created entire systems made of multiple planets. For gameplay we could manage the region definition in order to give more strategical lack or richness of resources. As default I did not alter the vanilla sectors but added large regions there and in the new sectors. These regions are huge but not dense. The next step will be making more pockets of resources put far in the sectors.

From day one I got much more knowledgable about the game's design so, for instance, i got back to create true rings of asteroids exactly in the radius of the rings (as Saturn) instead of pockets of roids. This meaning one could really navigate the whole ring (200.000km or such) and find roids. This would expand the exploration a lot. Contrary to x3, we could have an entire game inside one sector. Point is how to make it work.

Third issue is that the game becomes slow. I tried a new start with the mod and it took 10 minutes to load the start.

At this point, the mod being almost ready in the general layout, I think I'll finish it with the current design, let people test it (I did a lot to make every system unique, not last by creating new planetary models) then finetune, maybe even remove some resources to salt it

Realspace
x4

Re: [MOD TESTING] XRSGE - Galaxy REMAKE

Post by Realspace » Tue, 5. Jul 22, 11:04

UPDATE!

The map is ready!!! :-D ....(the mod is still not... :doh: )

I am uploading the new STARS mod 3.0 that has been greatly expanded in order for XRSGE mod to use all new materials.
So please start by updating the STARS 3.0 mod otherwise this one will not work: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/507/

What I am still doing?
1) Checking all the region_definitions I modified, one by one. My aim is not only enlarge them to work in the new map (vanilla sectors are somehow untouched but distances are enlarged there too) but also improve performace and change the volumetric fogs to be softer, real regional fog and not intrusive spots
2) Working on the god.xml to recreate a starting setting that is coherent with the map but also for anomalies and hidden bases that follow the new star geometry
3) Adding or changing the gates further to create more complexed connection to increase strategy
4) Still working on names and descriptions

TESTERS URGENTLY NEEDED
For now I recomend the mod only to modders who want to be involved in the project and players who want to help testing the mod

What needs to be tested first:
1) SUPERHIGHWAYS. I've created 200+ superhws, there can be errors and not working ones. I already noticed that sometimes if the sector is still not displayed in the map the superhighway appears inactive but it works normally if the ending sector is known. Any guess why?
2) Checking names and descriptions, names as first. First understand how the names are set, then see if some are missing or incoherent (like a gamma sector for low orbit instead of alpha sector, etc.)

....updating.....
Last edited by Realspace on Tue, 5. Jul 22, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

ScandyNav
x4

Post by ScandyNav » Tue, 5. Jul 22, 12:46

Realspace wrote:
Tue, 5. Jul 22, 11:04
2) Working on the god.xml to recreate a starting setting that is coherent with the map but also for anomalies and hidden bases that follow the new star geometry
I hope new map will have DeadAir Dynamic Wars mod in mind too. Will this map be suitable for changing factions relationship and wars?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 5. Jul 22, 14:41

The topic is moved to the thread with all the mods for the Galaxy Remake project.
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=427585
Please move there for further requests.
The X4RSGE mod is uploading
Alpha testing for modders and players who want to help

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Tue, 5. Jul 22, 15:39

ScandyNav wrote:
Tue, 5. Jul 22, 12:46
Realspace wrote:
I hope new map will have DeadAir Dynamic Wars mod in mind too. Will this map be suitable for changing factions relationship and wars?
There's very little hard coding in my mod so it should work fine

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 5. Jul 22, 16:56

DeadAirRT wrote:
Tue, 5. Jul 22, 15:39
ScandyNav wrote:
Tue, 5. Jul 22, 12:46
Realspace wrote:
There's very little hard coding in my mod so it should work fine
looking at the github I don't see any god.xml so I think it should be fine as it is, both mods should work together.
I will only add a totally redone god.xml to XRSGE because, of course, the map is totally changed and needs a new logic, new stations, new anomalies, etc. The rest (economy, etc.)I will leave to other mods. I hope the map will inspire other modders as base template.
I am uploading the mod, I reunited all the mods in one single thread: viewtopic.php?f=181&t=427585

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”