[QUESTION] How does 'time' work for building ships?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

thijso

[QUESTION] How does 'time' work for building ships?

Post by thijso » Sat, 28. May 22, 12:32

So if I look in wares.xml I can find the parts to build a ship, for example the ship itself (let's say 'ship_spl_l_destroyer_01_a', a Rattlesnake).

Through some hoops and references I can also figure out that that ship needs 3 L engines, and for those I can also find the ware entry (let's say 'engine_spl_l_travel_01_mk1').

These entries tell me the time it takes to produce (I assume), which for that engine is 20 seconds (again, I assume it's seconds) and for the ship itself is 309 seconds.

Now, my question is how the total time to produce a ship with all the needed parts is calculated. Say I build a Rattlesnake with 3 travel engines. Are the production times summed, or is it just the longest? So would that be 309 + 3*20 = 369 seconds? Or just 309 as that takes the longest?

Of course, the actual time is dependent on drones available and probably workers, etcetc. But I'm looking for the base time to build a complete ship, before all those modifiers are applied...

So, longest wins? Or sum of the parts?

thijso

Re: [QUESTION] How does 'time' work for building ships?

Post by thijso » Sat, 28. May 22, 14:58

Well, it certainly is not a sum, but it doesn't look like it's only the time for the ship itself. Although maybe that's just the extra modifiers that are applied?

I ordered a Rattlesnake and it says the build time (once it starts building) will be 7 minutes. That's longer than the 309 seconds from the xml, but way less than the sum of all the parts.

It does come very close to the sum of (ship + thrusters + engines + main weapons), which is 429 seconds, or 7 minutes, 9 seconds. So, is that it? Just not sure where the 9 seconds are lost, then, though...

thijso

Re: [QUESTION] How does 'time' work for building ships?

Post by thijso » Thu, 1. Sep 22, 18:46

Sorry to resurrect an old post of mine, but I'm still looking for answers to these questions.

I was just looking at the data extracted from the xml files and production time (I assume) is weird anyway. Compare the 309 seconds for a rattlesnake and then for a mark 1 laser tower it's 1800 seconds? Huh?

So, I guess, it's not seconds. But maybe it's also not an absolete measure? Maybe it's a relative number related to... I dunno.

Or maybe for the laser tower it's actually not used (and is bogus/old/unused data that should be removed), as you never actually build a laser tower. You just add them to the loadout of a ship. Or am I missing something?

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”