Custom in-game font - how?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

MarcusInVR
x4

Custom in-game font - how?

Post by MarcusInVR » Mon, 6. Jun 22, 10:41

So I found this post in an older thread: viewtopic.php?f=181&t=403567#p4769112

I got my hands on the contents in the Github etc., also have BMFont, ImageMagick. Now, the repo with the tools etc. is quite old, about nine years it seems. Still, I tried to follow these instructions to the best of my ability and somehow managed to acquire a .abc file for the font, and subsequently I also managed to acquire the dds file needed.

When I placed the files in the exact directory (did not pack, just loose files) nothing happened. The game continues to use the normal sans-serif font.

However, I did find interesting content having to do with the abc files, see this folder in the repo: https://github.com/hhrhhr/Lua-utils-for ... aster/docs. It seems to contain definitions for the abc files... but I am not sure how current this is or how to use these to generate a abc file myself by writing a small C or C++ tool.

The person that managed to create the Exo2 font also made it work, so I am wondering if anyone has other, more up to date instructions on how to replace the standard in-game font?

Much appreciated!

EDIT:
Looked at the file abc_x4_format.h in the Github repo linked above, and I think most of it is clear - just one thing is not: which character is which ASCII code in the structs that contain the character information. What am I missing? Or must characters always be in a certain order?

MarcusInVR
x4

Re: Custom in-game font - how?

Post by MarcusInVR » Mon, 6. Jun 22, 16:36

So after about 9 hours of constant experimenting (and almost getting it), I give up. I can generate the proper font files, but for some reason the space character (32) is ignored so that all words are written in one go without any spacing. Too bad.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”