Sector modding - questions

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

MarcusInVR
x4

Sector modding - questions

Post by MarcusInVR » Mon, 6. Jun 22, 16:39

Just two questions and I am hoping for realistic, if only theoretical answers:

- What is the theoretical maximum size/diameter of a sector?
- What is the theoretical maximum speed a ship/unit can move within a sector, in travel drive?

Cheers and thanks!

MarcusInVR
x4

Re: Sector modding - questions

Post by MarcusInVR » Wed, 8. Jun 22, 13:29

No one can answer that? :O

DeadAirRT
x4

Post by DeadAirRT » Wed, 8. Jun 22, 15:10

MarcusInVR wrote:
Mon, 6. Jun 22, 16:39
Just two questions and I am hoping for realistic, if only theoretical answers:

- What is the theoretical maximum size/diameter of a sector?
- What is the theoretical maximum speed a ship/unit can move within a sector, in travel drive?

Cheers and thanks!
1) Probably 32 bit or 64 bit signed float per axis. Realistically, the size of the skybox.
2) Bullets can travel the speed of light so I would assume ships can as well. Either way, making a ship that fast is not a good idea for performance.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 8. Jun 22, 17:03

In Vanilla, the very very small skybox makes the visual aspect being the true limit. You can go further but would see the whole skybox on one side like a bubble. I had to solve this issue for my next mod and after changing ALL the skyboxes' meshes I could set two or more sectors upto 8 MILLION KMS far from each other, in the same cluster, inside the same skybox. You can follow the thing here: viewtopic.php?f=181&t=447122

But in my mod I only set sectors very far apart, not elements of the same sector (which are about 5x vanilla anyway), so the coordinates are calculated relatively to each sector which is very large but not huge.
In theory I could put things million kms far away in the same sector now, but I don't know how the engine would calculate such huge distances.

You can use my engine mod and change it to have travel drive at even 200x.
if you play with these two things, let me know how the game manages the distances. I followed the multi-sector way for max compatibility but am thinking about another project with single sectors, each big as a system..:D

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”