Vanilla vs VRO vs Star Wars Mod?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Hangar181

Vanilla vs VRO vs Star Wars Mod?

Post by Hangar181 » Thu, 23. Jun 22, 23:11

Firstly thank you to everyone who has helped me overcome the steep learning curve in this game - I do appreciate and can see Egosoft have produced one of the all time best space sims! Really interested in everyone's opinion on what you prefer and why in terms of 1. Vanilla vs 2. VRO rebalance vs 3. Star Wars. I've played through a fair bit of vanilla young guns start switched to VRO for a change and then finally got the star wars mod and like a kid in a candy store (very old kid at 48!) I cant decide which one I Iike best. I keep playing one for a while then switch to another and so on. Hoping you might be able to help me make up my mind :) and so keen to hear others views on what you like about each of the 3 core mods? For me..

1. Vanilla: love the simplicity - yes ship variations are minimal and weapons need rebalancing but its very enjoyable nonetheless. There are enough ships in the game to keep it interesting.

2. VRO: love the extra ships and attempts to rebalance things even though my beautiful Nemesis Vanguard is now a bit slower at turning. Only downside is I feel a bit lost at times and things feel a bit cluttered in the sectors.

3. Star Wars: As a huge star wars fan, what's not to like! Only trouble is I miss the split, Xenon etc.

There's just too many choices and too many different starts, which of course is a good thing, but each one brings a degree of FOMO about the others!

dtpsprt
x4

Re: Vanilla vs VRO vs Star Wars Mod?

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 23. Jun 22, 23:26

I won't choose any of tthe three:

Vanilla: The glacial skill progress and also many "inconveniences"... One tires too easily (IMHO) shooting oppen lockboxes, chasing around fast dissappearing containers, not to mention that you are scanned for illegal inventory to same moment you are guarding their stations or saving their collective posterior.

VRO: A nice try but for the limitations put in the ships (like one or more guns need to be of a specific kind).. the same glacial skill progress an other vanilla deficits are found also here...

Star Wars: TBH I'm more of a Star Treck fan (being "a bit older" than you). Again the inherent deficiencies of vanilla with the limited races and ships...

Just try moded game (outside of VRO and SW) with the mods necessary to take away the things that irritate you in vanilla. I bet you'll never look back...

ScandyNav
x4

Post by ScandyNav » Thu, 23. Jun 22, 23:45

Vanila: ermmm... No, big no. Less than 10 weapons for all. And only 10% of them really usefull. Ships are highly imbalanced. Economy is weak. And faction wars almost non-existant.
SW mod: far from finished. I know a lot of people will be ok this is. I don't like half baked stuff.
VRO: quality standard.

Hangar181

Post by Hangar181 » Fri, 24. Jun 22, 01:38

dtpsprt wrote:
Thu, 23. Jun 22, 23:26
I won't choose any of tthe three:

Vanilla: The glacial skill progress and also many "inconveniences"... One tires too easily (IMHO) shooting oppen lockboxes, chasing around fast dissappearing containers, not to mention that you are scanned for illegal inventory to same moment you are guarding their stations or saving their collective posterior.

VRO: A nice try but for the limitations put in the ships (like one or more guns need to be of a specific kind).. the same glacial skill progress an other vanilla deficits are found also here...

Star Wars: TBH I'm more of a Star Treck fan (being "a bit older" than you). Again the inherent deficiencies of vanilla with the limited races and ships...

Just try moded game (outside of VRO and SW) with the mods necessary to take away the things that irritate you in vanilla. I bet you'll never look back...
Cheers, out of interest which individual mods do you use or too many to list?

Hangar181

Post by Hangar181 » Fri, 24. Jun 22, 01:39

ScandyNav wrote:
Thu, 23. Jun 22, 23:45
Vanila: ermmm... No, big no. Less than 10 weapons for all. And only 10% of them really usefull. Ships are highly imbalanced. Economy is weak. And faction wars almost non-existant.
SW mod: far from finished. I know a lot of people will be ok this is. I don't like half baked stuff.
VRO: quality standard.
Good point re economy...it fades too fast in vanilla. Will consider going back to VRO until SW gets padded out more

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 24. Jun 22, 13:37

Hangar181 wrote:
Fri, 24. Jun 22, 01:38

1) Fix Boarding Issue. It makes sense that the more experienced your Marines are the faster it should be done. Besides I can't wait for 1 hour or so for a boarding action to finish if I don't want to damage the hull (most often the case).
2) D Fun Skills. It is the least "cheaty" of all the mods improving skills gradually and according to actions taken by the NPCs.
3) Equipment Mods Redone. I find it at least stupid that in the 30th something century mechanical issues are not solved and 4 identical guns will have different modifications percentages...
4) Flyby Loot. What it says on the tin. If loot stayed for enough time for the slopy AI pilots to collect it I wouldn't be using it.
5) Flyby Lockbox. Aren't you tired of shooting lockboxes? The NPC pilots are crappy for this too, but the lockboxes have essential modparts.
6) Illegal Wares Freedom. Since when do pirates have faction affiliations? Please... They'll sell their mother to the highest bidder. Also it is in compliance with X Universe till now...
7) Secret Stash. So that I don't care for police contraband controls while in the middle of a firefight for my life(!!!). Miracoulously these police ships are never targeted by anyone, even the Xenon and Khaak!!!
8) Show Balance. It shows your balance on the bottom left of thee screen constantly. Very useful...
9) Cheat Mode. I load it when I've gotten really suck into a station, jump out and then disable it... Especially if there are about 30-40 minutes that will be lost with a restart...

That about sums it up.

Hangar181

Post by Hangar181 » Fri, 24. Jun 22, 14:47

dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 24. Jun 22, 13:37
Hangar181 wrote:
Fri, 24. Jun 22, 01:38

1) Fix Boarding Issue. It makes sense that the more experienced your Marines are the faster it should be done. Besides I can't wait for 1 hour or so for a boarding action to finish if I don't want to damage the hull (most often the case).
2) D Fun Skills. It is the least "cheaty" of all the mods improving skills gradually and according to actions taken by the NPCs.
3) Equipment Mods Redone. I find it at least stupid that in the 30th something century mechanical issues are not solved and 4 identical guns will have different modifications percentages...
4) Flyby Loot. What it says on the tin. If loot stayed for enough time for the slopy AI pilots to collect it I wouldn't be using it.
5) Flyby Lockbox. Aren't you tired of shooting lockboxes? The NPC pilots are crappy for this too, but the lockboxes have essential modparts.
6) Illegal Wares Freedom. Since when do pirates have faction affiliations? Please... They'll sell their mother to the highest bidder. Also it is in compliance with X Universe till now...
7) Secret Stash. So that I don't care for police contraband controls while in the middle of a firefight for my life(!!!). Miracoulously these police ships are never targeted by anyone, even the Xenon and Khaak!!!
8) Show Balance. It shows your balance on the bottom left of thee screen constantly. Very useful...
9) Cheat Mode. I load it when I've gotten really suck into a station, jump out and then disable it... Especially if there are about 30-40 minutes that will be lost with a restart...

That about sums it up.
Thx man!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”