[MOD] New Horizons / Old Lands. 10th Jan 23 Update

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Dr Reed
x4

[MOD] New Horizons / Old Lands. 10th Jan 23 Update

Post by Dr Reed » Fri, 30. Dec 22, 21:43

[Do not use with BETA 6 or the Boron DLC.]

This mod adds 41 new/old systems to explore with some of them inhabited by some cute little green lizards, there are other factions living there but they are mostly a but yucky.
A new gate which connects the mod to the the main galaxy has been added to the map and is situated in Sacred Relic.
There are a couple of new ship variants, a few free ships scattered about and the drops from lockboxes and station debri have been reworked in the regions of the mod to make them worthwhile to hunt down and open. The new drops include paint mods, piloting/management powerpoints thingys and also weapon/ship mods, which was a nightmare to try and balance due to the randomness of spawns.
The new sectors, if left to their own devices, should not effect the rest of the main maps economy or gameplay apart from maybe a few more Xenon spawns.

This is a major update and due to me not really knowing how to patch the new changes to it I have just started a new thread.
This update will break any save using the old version of the mod. viewtopic.php?f=181&t=441685.

I am looking for feedback and testers and maybe a bit of help if anyone can before I upload it to Steam and Nexusmods.

Jan 10th 2023 Update:
Faction Reps updated
Encyclopedia; Pictures, Sun strength adjusted, populations added.
Scout and Xenon jobs should not enter Terran space.
Text and Computer voice files should work in all language settings.
Black marketeers should work on all new factions.
Job changes.
Criminal traffic and Police added to factions that were missing them.

Downloads:
7zip - 224M https://www.dropbox.com/s/ub8dlndb1ups1 ... ns.7z?dl=0

zip - 309M https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgjj3ftu77q54 ... s.zip?dl=0

Installation:
Extract the zip directly to the X4 Foundations extensions folder.

Issues I know about and stuff I am working on:
Accidentally made the Syn and Asgard ships buyable at Terran Shipyard when adding them to the new Terran Colonist shipyard.
Economy balance and Jobs balance
In one sector there are objects that give missions. In this sector if you see objects that look like they shouldn't give missions, don't take em.
And most importantly, scripting stuff which at the moment seems like an Alien language read upside down and back to front.

[edit : Updates added]
Last edited by Dr Reed on Fri, 7. Apr 23, 18:49, edited 7 times in total.

st3k
x4

Re: [MOD] New Horizons / Old Lands. Big Update, feedback and testers needed

Post by st3k » Sat, 31. Dec 22, 06:06

Hi,

Thank you for you mod.

Any chances you can upload map with created sectors.

Thank you.

st3k
x4

Post by st3k » Sun, 1. Jan 23, 06:10

JUst installed this mod.

Any chances you can add some Jump Gates from Reflected Gaze, Nova prime or Murky Harbour.
Otherwise this are very remote sectors.

Another idea - because your mod called new horizons - maybe each race need its own gate connetion to faction race representative in new sectors.
Lore wise it will explain than - those new sectors located on other side of X galaxy, And most of the races found innactive gate in there systems and then gates were activated allowing X races to colonise new lands.
After X races discovered other races in new sectors. That fact did created conflicts. This is why all races end up creating separate factions to conquer new lands.

Thank you.

Dr Reed
x4

Post by Dr Reed » Sun, 1. Jan 23, 19:41

I don't have a map drawn myself but there is a way to see all the sectors.
If you click on start new custom game and then select the universe menu, you can zoom out and look around the galaxy map for the new sectors and the connections.

As for adding more connections to the base map, I thought about it a lot but at the end of the day I didn't want the economy of the new sectors to mess up the balance of the game sectors and their struggles with Xenon and HOP.
Due to these sectors being so far away from the main galaxy core I also hoped to give more of a larger scale to the game in the same way that X3 did. In X3 you would have to cross 25 sectors to fly from the Teladi owned sectors of Sizewell to CEO's Wellspring.
There is also a logistics challenge if you want to export or import wares between the areas.

I have thought adding fixed Anomalies so that the player can quickly jump from from a core sector to the new sectors but most people do the research to unlock long range teleport anyway for long range travel.

Thanks for the feedback.

st3k
x4

Post by st3k » Mon, 2. Jan 23, 01:10

Thank you for your reply
You have a great points about not adding many connections.

But one entry exit point is not enough.
Gameplay in those sectors feels completely separate/separate game.

If we look into 2 official DLC - new regions always had 2
Or more connections to main galaxy.

Is it any chances you can release version with 2 or more connections to test them out.

I'm 20 hrs in the game and I have two different galaxies living it's own life.

Thank you in advance.

Chapi22

Post by Chapi22 » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 00:53

The Text is missing.

Did you forgott 0001.xml?

Dr Reed
x4

Post by Dr Reed » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 19:40

no,

I was just being dumb and uploaded 0001-l044.xml instead. :oops:

I'll have another update later tonight which will include this fix.

Thanks

[Edit: I have just upload the fix ]

Tassekaffe
x4

Re: [MOD] New Horizons / Old Lands. 10th Jan 23 Update

Post by Tassekaffe » Tue, 17. Jan 23, 05:53

Thanks for this awesome work :thumb_up:
really like what you´ve done with the place :D
just one question for now since i just played 3h with it...the abandoned R+D station,can it be claimed?

JoshyMW
x4

Post by JoshyMW » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 10:11

Amazing work!

Which sectors have population / workforce? I've checked all of them with a new game and every sector has 0.

I do have quite a few mods (Uncharted Skies, X-Universe+, Rise of the Ossian Raider, Xpaned Sectors Advanced); so maybe one of these is causing this?

Dr Reed
x4

Post by Dr Reed » Wed, 18. Jan 23, 14:44

Tassekaffe wrote:
Tue, 17. Jan 23, 05:53
just one question for now since i just played 3h with it...the abandoned R+D station,can it be claimed?
The station is just set dressing which kinda gives a reasoning for the variant of the abandoned ship that's in the sector. Something that also might not be obvious is the ship in question has universal weapon slots on it.

JoshyMW wrote:
Wed, 18. Jan 23, 10:11
Which sectors have population / workforce? I've checked all of them with a new game and every sector has 0.
The Encyclopedia has the listings for the system population but it was not showing up in the sector info list or giving the station population bonus. After a lot of head scratching I have sorted it and will upload the changes soon.

Tassekaffe
x4

Post by Tassekaffe » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 07:40

just had a little WTF moment when i got a message -15 rep drop with Kai...reason:trade completed... :gruebel:

Dr Reed
x4

Post by Dr Reed » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:29

Was it a temporary -15 rep hit or did it stick. Your ships can get a temporary -15 rep hit if they are scanned by station police and found to have illegal personal inventory items on them.

If it wasn't a temp rep hit, -15 is a massive drop and something must be very wrong somewhere.

What was the ship trading ? Was it firing at anything?

JoshyMW
x4

Post by JoshyMW » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 19:09

I'm seeing duplicate Asgard blueprints, and I think I saw another. Is this related to the 'making them buyable' issue listed in your original post?

Also, I'd bet you've already tried it but with 6.0 it looks like all engines aren't selectable on mod ships. But also wondering if you're able to pre-emptively support 6.0 and keep it working with previous versions?

Dr Reed
x4

Post by Dr Reed » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 20:09

The Asgard and Syn I know about. You cannot actually buy them from the Terran Protectorate but it looks like you can. Also when you start a custom game there are 2 listings for each ship in the property menu.

As for Version 6, yep.
I was messing around with it for a wee while last night and noticed a few things that will need to be adjusted. As for the Engines on some of the ships, I didn't know about that but I do know from the Beta forums there are problems with some vanilla ships and their turrets in the current Beta.

[Edit]
I've had a look at the 2 ships and the shields on the Nodan can't be replaced either.

At the moment I have no idea how to fix this as the edits were simple txt edits.
I have a horrible feeling that adjusting ships from version 6 onwards will require the use of modelling software. :(

JoshyMW
x4

Post by JoshyMW » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 09:51

Dr Reed wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 20:09
At the moment I have no idea how to fix this as the edits were simple txt edits.
I have a horrible feeling that adjusting ships from version 6 onwards will require the use of modelling software. :(
You're doing an awesome job and thanks for replying so quickly!!

I think I read that the devs will be releasing some software to repack models (or something like this for 6.0) but they haven't released it yet. I also dread 3D modelling!

kasan
x4

Post by kasan » Tue, 31. Jan 23, 16:09

I'm getting ready to start a new game with both this mod and XPAN-Advanced; should I wait until you release your next patch before actually starting it, or is there nothing really game breaking at the moment. (Are the two mods still compatible? You added 21 new sectors since the last time somebody talked about compatibility between the two.)

Dr Reed
x4

Post by Dr Reed » Tue, 31. Jan 23, 22:10

It should still be ok with XPAN-Advanced as all the new sectors added are to the south and west of the original sectors.

There's nothing game breaking that I have found yet or know about from feedback.

As for the next update, you should be ok as most of the changes won't require a restart. There will be a slight change to faction logic for a couple of sectors to stop the Teladi Union expanding too far and weakening their defences against the Xenon (that will require a restart) but it's not a big problem.

If you are starting a new game, I would not install it until you are about ready to use/explore the new sectors as some of the scripted stuff is on a timer instead of triggers as I'm still trying to learn the MD scripting.

st3k
x4

Post by st3k » Sat, 18. Feb 23, 05:50

Hello,

Any chances there will be second entrance to your galaxy expansion?

Thank you.

Dr Reed
x4

Post by Dr Reed » Mon, 20. Feb 23, 16:42

st3k wrote:
Sat, 18. Feb 23, 05:50
10/10 for persistance :)

What i'll do is make a small 1 sector addon that adds a new gate to Gargantuan Enclosure which then connects to Cardinals Redress or maybe Lasting Vengeance through a new sector.
The new sector will have faction logic = false to stop the HOP using up resources attempting to expanding into the area of the mod.

I'll keep it as a separate add on as i'm sure it will affect the base game balance of the core sectors. Also it will be a good way of learning how to add to the base mod for future expansions.

again, thanks for the feedback.

st3k
x4

Post by st3k » Wed, 5. Apr 23, 07:56

Dr Reed wrote:
Mon, 20. Feb 23, 16:42
st3k wrote:
Sat, 18. Feb 23, 05:50
10/10 for persistance :)

What i'll do is make a small 1 sector addon that adds a new gate to Gargantuan Enclosure which then connects to Cardinals Redress or maybe Lasting Vengeance through a new sector.
The new sector will have faction logic = false to stop the HOP using up resources attempting to expanding into the area of the mod.

I'll keep it as a separate add on as i'm sure it will affect the base game balance of the core sectors. Also it will be a good way of learning how to add to the base mod for future expansions.

again, thanks for the feedback.
Thank you 😊
Where we can find this addon? :wink:

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”