[solved]X catalog tool didn't extract ?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Whismerhill
x3ap

[solved]X catalog tool didn't extract ?

Post by Whismerhill » Sat, 31. Dec 22, 14:42

So I tried using the X catalog tool GUI (because I'm lazy)
to extract X4 data
and surprise it created an exact copy of the game files in the destination folder with the .cat & .dat ....
not sure what I did wrong here ?????

EDIT: so I figured it out
I had to use "import catalogs" instead of "import folder"
Last edited by Whismerhill on Wed, 11. Jan 23, 10:53, edited 2 times in total.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Re: X catalog tool didn't extract ?

Post by BrummBear02 » Sat, 31. Dec 22, 17:58

how should we know? you provided no information aside from "i used a tool and it didnt work! what whent wrong?"
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

Whismerhill
x3ap

Post by Whismerhill » Sat, 31. Dec 22, 18:12

BrummBear02 wrote:
Sat, 31. Dec 22, 17:58
how should we know? you provided no information aside from "i used a tool and it didnt work! what whent wrong?"
he sorry not sure what information there is to provide
thought it would be a common error or something

I just selected the folder with the tool, import folder and pressed extract all
ho and I removed extensions which were selected

EDIT: so I figured it out
I had to use "import catalogs" instead of "import folder"
Last edited by Whismerhill on Wed, 11. Jan 23, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

dedmoin2
x4

Re: [solved]X catalog tool didn't extract ?

Post by dedmoin2 » Wed, 11. Jan 23, 10:02

Yes, I just had the same problem.
Every other modding tool created by some random community guy (for other games) was better than this tool provided by a company.
'Extract all' that actually copies all files (why would I want this?!)
No user feedback like progress bar or Cancel button but instead an application that is 'not responding' for minutes.
How is it possible to have '1111 deleted files' (in the Diff part of the GUI) if this is a clean install?!

Anyways I am just ranting because I already got angry when trying to download the tool.
The login process only works with 'remember me' checked and the FAQ on the download page only work in English language otherwise an empty page is shown. Those FAQ wouldn't have helped anyways. Another 2 minutes task that took me ages to finish with trial and error
I wonder if the HTML pages to support modding are still IE only versions...

dedmoin2
x4

Post by dedmoin2 » Wed, 11. Jan 23, 10:14

BrummBear02 wrote:
Sat, 31. Dec 22, 17:58
Apparently you don't know the tool otherwise it should have been obvious what went wrong or you would have known how it should be used and could have provided those two lines of explanation right away.

As annoying as the 'something does not work, help!' posts are, as annoying are those 'provide more details! so I know what to write in my reply with random guesses'.

Whismerhill
x3ap

Re: [solved]X catalog tool didn't extract ?

Post by Whismerhill » Wed, 11. Jan 23, 10:51

dedmoin2 wrote:
Wed, 11. Jan 23, 10:02
Yes, I just had the same problem.
Every other modding tool created by some random community guy (for other games) was better than this tool provided by a company.
'Extract all' that actually copies all files (why would I want this?!)
No user feedback like progress bar or Cancel button but instead an application that is 'not responding' for minutes.
How is it possible to have '1111 deleted files' (in the Diff part of the GUI) if this is a clean install?!

Anyways I am just ranting because I already got angry when trying to download the tool.
The login process only works with 'remember me' checked and the FAQ on the download page only work in English language otherwise an empty page is shown. Those FAQ wouldn't have helped anyways. Another 2 minutes task that took me ages to finish with trial and error
I wonder if the HTML pages to support modding are still IE only versions...
Yeah,
Unfortunately Egosoft is a smallish studio, with huge ambitions and massive games...
I suppose the "todo list" is absolutely huge
hence some tools just as this one, are very basic. Same with the workshop upload tool btw which I was surprised to find is actually a command line tool ....

Also historically Egosoft strong suit has never been UI & accessibility related, although X4 has IMHO improved upon previous X games...

EDIT:
also of note is how awkward it is to extract all data from the game + all official addons

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”