Impact of 6.0 beta on mods

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Shuulo (EGO)
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Impact of 6.0 beta on mods

Post by Shuulo (EGO) » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:07

Hi guys,

This is to let you all know that a change of physics engine in 6.0 can negatively impact mods with assets (e.g. station or ships models). They will basically have incorrect collisions.

THIS IS EXPECTED

And soon there will be an announcement on that and what awaits us in future, so stay tuned.

EDIT: also, shields and engines now have "standard" tag, which means modded-in engines and shields without that tag will not be compatible with vanilla ships

Link to 6.0 beta announcement

Halpog
x4

Re: Impact of 6.0 beta on mods

Post by Halpog » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 19:27

than u need to make a workarround for that problem .. i doubt that all modders who provided the ship mods will rework there modsbecause u change something....

*runawayandhide*

seriously.. e have tons of ships of ship mods and other stuff.our change will basicaly like u say " mess it up", isent there a way to avoid that a trouble ? :P

tezboyes
x4

Post by tezboyes » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 21:39

Will mods that are changed to work with V6 also work with v5, or will there be a need for two versions of them?

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 23:12

well from this statement i assume that there is a need of 2 different mods since there is a new physics engine that has an impact on the ship mods

Lc4Hunter
x4

Post by Lc4Hunter » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 00:08

Halpog wrote:
Thu, 19. Jan 23, 23:12
well from this statement i assume that there is a need of 2 different mods since there is a new physics engine that has an impact on the ship mods
why do you think so? 6.0 will be available for everyone for free... it has nothing to do with the borons DLC.
So when the mods are updated, thats it.

But before discussing such things: We should wait on WHAT the exact changes are... at the moment, we dont know anything.

Oh and btw: Egosoft tells us that they change things that can cause problems on mods. Thats more then you can expect from other developers.
So it´s a bit unfair to come with "why do you do this? Cant you avoid this?"...

tezboyes
x4

Post by tezboyes » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 02:17

Lc4Hunter wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 00:08

But before discussing such things: We should wait on WHAT the exact changes are... at the moment, we dont know anything.

Oh and btw: Egosoft tells us that they change things that can cause problems on mods. Thats more then you can expect from other developers.
Indeed, it could be that a tweak to the current models will mean that they will work with the new and previous versions.

And yeah, at the end of the day, they're sensibly giving all of us a chance to try the new engine with plenty of time for mods to be updated where needed.

A lot of bigger companies just push out updates and wait for things to break. Resulting in players having to faff about disabling mods and the makers of such rushing around trying to fix them as quickly as they can.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 03:04

In any case, with such a major update, it is necessary not to fix old ship and station mods, but to create new ones for the current version, if necessary.

And I doubt that it is generally advisable to run any saves with old mods on the new version of the game 6.0

In any case, you need to start a new game and use new versions of mods created specifically for version 6x.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 06:50

alexalsp wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 03:04
In any case, with such a major update, it is necessary not to fix old ship and station mods, but to create new ones for the current version, if necessary.

And I doubt that it is generally advisable to run any saves with old mods on the new version of the game 6.0

In any case, you need to start a new game and use new versions of mods created specifically for version 6x.
there are tons of ship mods out there the ppl use ...
xr ship pakc, vro, are the 2 major ones where i belive they get updatet / reworked but this will beed some time...
other ship mods , smaller ones wont be updatet that fast or maybe overall ....

Lc4Hunter
x4

Post by Lc4Hunter » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 08:41

alexalsp wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 03:04

I dont think so... It sounds like there is an issue with the COLLISION of the models, and there are separate collision models of every station and ship.
When you replace model files, everything is fine. They will be updated when the game is started - every time. So a simple update is absolutely enough.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 14:14

Cool, thanks for the info. Heads off a lot of "will mod X work with 6.0" questions.

Great that Egosoft acknowledge issues modders will need to tackle nice and early like this... it's almost like they've employed long-standing X4 Modders and added them to the team... :)

I don't mod X4, but use a number of mods. So, I have a vested interest in these mods being updated for v6.0 promptly! :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 14:36

There is one caution though, at the moment 6.00 is a beta and things could yet change again before its release. Discovering current mod issues with the beta is sensible, but redesigning mods specifically to meet the current beta in great detail *might* be premature or nugatory work.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 15:07

Scoob wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 14:14
Cool, thanks for the info. Heads off a lot of "will mod X work with 6.0" questions.

Great that Egosoft acknowledge issues modders will need to tackle nice and early like this... it's almost like they've employed long-standing X4 Modders and added them to the team... :)

I don't mod X4, but use a number of mods. So, I have a vested interest in these mods being updated for v6.0 promptly! :)
as far as i know of they did....
and this is great ... modders always have a different way of seeing things that needs a change or need a rework. and modders ( yes i kow sounds stupid but ) they got much more time, much more room for there stuff as the devs got . a modder dont have a boss who says hey weneed to make this or that this way or that way ^^
and honestly .. what ive seen in all this years of playing the x series in case about mods.. no matter what it is for a mod.. its truly awesome....just look at the ship mods.....this gys realy do an overhelming great job ....

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:00

since the collision is affected and not the model itself you most likely still can use the mods but they will be wonky. thats a baseless guess from my side.

but what im immediately concerned about is... can we even produce propper collisions with the converter? if we cant do that we need a way to revert to version 5.x and i think shuulo personally is very invested in this since the by far biggest mod for this game, the SW:I mod, will be crippled and unplayable while he himself is part of developing that mod.

tl;dr: dont worrk. im sure we will get solutions.
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:40

BrummBear02 wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:00
since the collision is affected and not the model itself you most likely still can use the mods but they will be wonky. thats a baseless guess from my side.

but what im immediately concerned about is... can we even produce propper collisions with the converter? if we cant do that we need a way to revert to version 5.x and i think shuulo personally is very invested in this since the by far biggest mod for this game, the SW:I mod, will be crippled and unplayable while he himself is part of developing that mod.

tl;dr: dont worrk. im sure we will get solutions.
Indeed - don't panic. My bet would be that the mentioned improvement for modding tools includes a how-to and / or the means to create the needed convex hull for the new physics engine "jolt".

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

JoshyMW
x4

Post by JoshyMW » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 19:04

Looks like all ships added from mods have no selectable engines.

aza502
x4

Post by aza502 » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 19:53

Shuulo (EGO) wrote:
Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:07
Hi guys,

This is to let you all know that a change of physics engine in 6.0 can negatively impact mods with assets (e.g. station or ships models). They will basically have incorrect collisions.

THIS IS EXPECTED

And soon there will be an announcement on that and what awaits us in future, so stay tuned.

Link to 6.0 beta announcement
yep looks like my kinetic weapons mod is a bit janked up :(

Colt_SCW

Post by Colt_SCW » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 04:25

JoshyMW wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 19:04
Looks like all ships added from mods have no selectable engines.
This is because all turrets/shields/engines are now added with one more tag. The turret is “combat”, and the shield and engine are “standard”.

Shuulo (EGO)
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by Shuulo (EGO) » Mon, 23. Jan 23, 23:53

Trust me guys, I'm very mich interested in a possibility to update my mods that I worked on for 3-4 years :)
So, do not worry, the solution is in the works.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 24. Jan 23, 03:27

Thanks for the heads-up Shuulo, I'm just hoping and praying it isnt another highly technical hurdle to overcome because (as you have probably seen over time) I'm really not cut out for that stuff, lol.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Tue, 24. Jan 23, 07:30

Shuulo (EGO) wrote:
Mon, 23. Jan 23, 23:53
Trust me guys, I'm very mich interested in a possibility to update my mods that I worked on for 3-4 years :)
So, do not worry, the solution is in the works.
hahahah well yeah if u wont update your works, belive me, i put on my witch costume, make a small fire in my living room, start danincing arround it and curse u like hell :P

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”