Hazard zones cause stuttering?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Realspace
x4

Hazard zones cause stuttering?

Post by Realspace » Thu, 26. Jan 23, 16:00

Whenever I try to add new hazard zones to the map, the game has massive stuttering. This happens even if you are in another sector where the effect is not active. Like it is calculating the stuff.
I had added several solar sectors and had made radiation zones for them, this caused massive stuttering, so had to remove them. Now I simply added some few radiation bubbles, similar to xenon space, and it already causes visible stuttering. This thing seems to affect memory somehow, any clue what could be happening?

Dr Reed
x4

Re: Hazard zones cause stuttering?

Post by Dr Reed » Fri, 27. Jan 23, 19:32

I've added Shield drain only, hull killer and even just lightning areas (which the Beta has turned into a stroke inducing spectacle due to the new lighting) and have not had problems yet through using em.

If you remove the <effect/> tag from the region does it still kill the frames, as I've had some wonderful frame killing nebulas whilst messing around trying to set up some sectors.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 16:35

Thank you, I am trying the effect removal...it seems to make things a bit better, which makes no sense, the stuttering happening even in another sector without that region. I seem to see microstuttering but at this point I have no clear perception. While in the past it was very clear.

Interesting the lightning effect, it'd be nice to add in the gasgiant's loworbit regions I made, how is it created?

Dr Reed
x4

Post by Dr Reed » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 17:17

To add lightning to a nebula add the following example in the <fields/> section to see it in action.

Code: Select all

<effect ref="region_lightning_effect" delay="0.015" delayvariation="0.09" maxdistance="150000" noisescale="1000" seed="10" minnoisevalue="0.6" maxnoisevalue="1"/>
You can find the entry in the effects.xml file in the libraries folder then make your own with different values if need be. Be aware though that Beta 6 makes the flashing really bright with the vanilla settings.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 22:25

Thank you, it looks nice. Seems not to work in large regions, but managed to make it working in small pockets as debris clouds :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”