Question: sector ownership, let’s manage!

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Y-llian
x4

Question: sector ownership, let’s manage!

Post by Y-llian » Thu, 26. Jan 23, 17:31

I’ve been taking part (somewhat) in a debate on the main forum regarding sector ownership. I made some suggestions on how I feel this could work. And then wondered, can this be done by modding? Ergo, my arrival here onto your shores where, I’m reliably informed, lives many a genius.

I hope you’ll forgive that I’m arriving here, as that awful archetype of the”ideas man” having never attempted modding myself. So, here are my observations by way of quote:
Y-llian wrote:
Thu, 26. Jan 23, 01:17
One element I wish factions had is an importance rating scale for their sectors. Home sectors will be the highest importance, sectors bordering home systems, the next level down, outlying sectors at empire edges the lowest rating.., Some sectors may be deemed important due to resources ore, gas, etc.instead of position.

For example, Argon Prime should have the highest possible rating for the Argon, for both cultural and military reasons. The loss of Argon Prime should trigger an all out counter response, and continuous efforts by the Argon military until it’s retaken. Holding important sectors should also negate (or make it very difficult) to sue for peace. The idea that you can take over a species’ home sector and then shoot a few criminals to lower rep makes no sense at all.

Similarly, I wish defence stations had a stronger role in sector defence and control. It is supposed to be the equivalent of a sector command and control and as such, should have strong defences with the ability to repair fighter wings (given necessary resource availability) and order ship replacements for losses. Think the equivalent of an island with a military airport - a sort of static carrier.
And…
Y-llian wrote:
Thu, 26. Jan 23, 12:29
I don’t really have an issue with factions having unlimited money… The limiting factor for NPC factions really, is the availability of required resources and having the necessary logistics, to move those resources to where they are needed. There’s lots of fun for the player here to hamstrung NPC factions, if so desired.

At issue for me, is giving the players more insensitive to own sectors beyond free plots and setting of illegal goods. I remember one poster, a while back now (to paraphrase) I don’t just want to own, I want to manage my space. That means being able to control whether factions can, and under what conditions, build in space you own. Being able to limit the type of products they’re able to build, the types of ships that can/can’t enter your space - a sort of trade / diplomatic agreement, type thing. And similarly, for NPC factions to more readily prioritise/defend space that is vital to them, either for economic reasons or for lore reasons.

Right now, NPC factions don’t care if they lose space, they just go somewhere else - I’d like them to actively defend and try to retake space that’s important, providing more strategic (and narrative) opportunities for the player.

Just my two cents…
I think the question is then…. Can a mod be created to make sector ownership and faction relations behave in the manner I suggest? Is it difficult, maybe impossible? Thoughts?

From what I hear about you fair island is that the citizens enjoy a challenge. So is this one you could rise to? In the meantime, I shall be frequenting one of your eateries (still called pubs are they?) to sample the local cuisine. I hear VRO pie and Interworld stew are popular choices… Do you use forks?

Anyway, the whole debate can be found here, if you’re so inclined.

viewtopic.php?f=146&t=451400

Best
Y.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”