*.sig file errors

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

yerdna
x4

*.sig file errors

Post by yerdna » Tue, 31. Jan 23, 00:47

I'm running X4_nosteam.exe 5.10 HF3

When running some mods, I see the debug log spammed with complaints about missing *.sig files:

Code: Select all

Error: File I/O: Could not find file '.\\extensions\\...\\t\\0001.xml.sig'
Error: File I/O: Could not find file '.\\extensions\\...\\libraries\\icons.xml.sig'
Error: File I/O: Could not find file '.\\extensions\\...\\libraries\\experiences.xml.sig'
There is nothing in the mod catalogs about *.sig files.
However, looking at X4Wiki 3.xx changelog there was a bugfix in 3.20 (Beta 2) that should have resolved this.

This could be an issue due to mods maybe being for V4.xx, in which case I'll update for V5.10.
I've also been unable to find anything on what these *.sig files are and how to generate them, so some pointers there would be useful

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: *.sig file errors

Post by euclid » Tue, 31. Jan 23, 01:05

These are signature files and better left alone. And do not worry about these debug errors. These are "normal" when running any mod ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

|K.O.S.H.
x3tc

Post by |K.O.S.H. » Tue, 31. Jan 23, 10:56

yerdna wrote:
Tue, 31. Jan 23, 00:47
I'm running X4_nosteam.exe 5.10 HF3

When running some mods, I see the debug log spammed with complaints about missing *.sig files:

Code: Select all

Error: File I/O: Could not find file '.\\extensions\\...\\t\\0001.xml.sig'
Error: File I/O: Could not find file '.\\extensions\\...\\libraries\\icons.xml.sig'
Error: File I/O: Could not find file '.\\extensions\\...\\libraries\\experiences.xml.sig'
There is nothing in the mod catalogs about *.sig files.
However, looking at X4Wiki 3.xx changelog there was a bugfix in 3.20 (Beta 2) that should have resolved this.

This could be an issue due to mods maybe being for V4.xx, in which case I'll update for V5.10.
I've also been unable to find anything on what these *.sig files are and how to generate them, so some pointers there would be useful
The sig-files are (in my understanding) signatures, generated by egosoft with a private key. Should be an encrypted hash or something like that.
The game has the corresponding public key to verify the signature (hash the file, decrypt the sig and compare).

The purpose is to determine if the content is the same as "official" or has been modified, because only egosoft has the private key to sign the hash.

In case you installed a mod, it does, what it should do, "tell" the game, that your content has not been signed by egosoft and making the game "modified".

But it should be logged as error, should be an info or a warning, because this is expected behaviour.
Wing Commander Mod - German Topic
06.07.11 - v1.1 RELEASED!

yerdna
x4

Post by yerdna » Mon, 6. Feb 23, 20:08

Thanks Euclid!

Kosh, I know what a signature is. I don't know if you bothered to read through the rest of my question, but at least based on what was in the 3.20 changelog, those errors should not be showing up.
Developer notes for changes in 3.20 (Beta 2)
General
Modding(BUGFIX) Using mods, the game reported an error related to the provided content.xml file failing to read the corresponding .sig-file. This has been resolved now and such errors for content.xml files will no longer be reported.
It seems that there has been a regression in the X4 codebase.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Mon, 6. Feb 23, 22:25

yerdna wrote:
Mon, 6. Feb 23, 20:08
Thanks Euclid!

Kosh, I know what a signature is. I don't know if you bothered to read through the rest of my question, but at least based on what was in the 3.20 changelog, those errors should not be showing up.
Developer notes for changes in 3.20 (Beta 2)
General
Modding(BUGFIX) Using mods, the game reported an error related to the provided content.xml file failing to read the corresponding .sig-file. This has been resolved now and such errors for content.xml files will no longer be reported.
It seems that there has been a regression in the X4 codebase.
the error regarding the content.xml was fixed. the error occoured with a working content.xml if the .sig was faulty or missing and the error adressed the content.xml, not the sig. which is the case with every mod. now the .sig can be faulty and the game still properly reads the content.xml.

this was the bug fix. missing .sig generating errors was never "fixed"
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

yerdna
x4

Post by yerdna » Tue, 7. Feb 23, 21:44

I see, so there were two bugs, and only one was fixed, good to know

user1679

Post by user1679 » Sat, 11. Feb 23, 04:06

I wish we could disable sig errors in the debug log (--disablesigcheck). They really make a mess of the log and serve little purpose since most mods aren't signed.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”