Why does uidata.xml have debug info?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

user1679

Why does uidata.xml have debug info?

Post by user1679 » Sun, 25. Feb 24, 08:04

What is the purpose of __CORE_DEBUGLOG_LOG inside the uidata.xml file considering the information is a duplicate of debuglog.txt? This file is where some mod options and other game data are saved and occasionally it gets so big that sometimes when you change a mod's options they don't update in the file. It seems odd to have a file that can be several MB in size that just mirrors debug info which can be obtained elsewhere.

For example, I got a message that my game was modded. I clicked "don't show again" and then "ok". Next time I loaded my game it appeared again. I looked in uidata.xml and this was not updating properly to disable the alert:
__CORE_DETAILMONITOR_USERQUESTION
I had to delete the file completely which also meant I had to reset most of my mod options too. It seems that dumping a ton of debug info into this file sometimes causes it to not update the changes made to other parts of the game. It's not a permission issue considering it is located in my documents folder (windows 10).

Dj_FRedy
x4

Re: Why does uidata.xml have debug info?

Post by Dj_FRedy » Sun, 25. Feb 24, 17:58

It is not a duplicate, it has some peculiarities: viewtopic.php?t=366654#p4381310
'Clear Log' to safely delete logs before manipulating other options.

::Edited::
Last edited by Dj_FRedy on Mon, 26. Feb 24, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
"All my contributions to the Technical Support and Public Beta Feedback sections will be concise and to the point, no diatribes, that's what the other sections are for".
Thank you for your efforts.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Sun, 25. Feb 24, 23:01

That's interesting that it isn't validated because I just removed all my mods except 1, deleted the file and loaded the game. I got the warning, answered it and exited. When I restarted I didn't get asked again.

I have had this problem in the past where suddenly none of my options would save and I have to rename the file to get a new one to generate and then copy the old data into the new file. It's not a permission issue so I assume it's some sort of race condition caused by the way data is flushed to the disk.

Dj_FRedy
x4

Post by Dj_FRedy » Mon, 26. Feb 24, 02:46

I have partially edited my previous message to better inspect this issue.
-------------------
Ok, I was interpreting my modified files wrong when I responded in my last message by stating that '__CORE_DETAILMONITOR_USERQUESTION["modified"]' is not validated, in 'onShowMenu()' there is a block that handles this.

On the other hand, 'menu.contextMenuMode' is set to "modified" when initiating the menu in the local 'init()' function, the block I previously pointed out,

Code: Select all

if menu.isStartmenu then
        if (__CORE_GAMEOPTIONS_RESTORE == nil) and C.IsGameModified() then
            menu.contextMenuMode = "modified"
            menu.contextMenuData = { width = Helper.scaleX(400), y = Helper.viewHeight / 2 }
        elseif C.IsVentureSeasonSupported() and OnlineHasSession() and (not OnlineGetVentureConfig("allow_validation")) and (not OnlineGetVentureConfig("disable_popup")) then
            menu.contextMenuMode = "ventureextension"
            menu.contextMenuData = { width = Helper.scaleX(400), y = Helper.viewHeight / 2 }
        end
    end
causing that selecting another menu and subsequently returning to the previous menu results in an unwanted 'return' in the 'onCloseElement()' function, this translates into a double click on the back button or keys in the first instance for all games that are modified. That's why I tried to handle it from my side some time ago, although I didn't perfectly remember the reason for my code in the beginning. This time I added a comment to remember it.

Code: Select all

-- 'menu.contextMenuMode' it's set "modified" causing that selecting another menu and subsequently returning to the previous menu results in an unwanted 'return' in 'onCloseElement()'
    if (menu.contextMenuMode == "modified") then
        if __CORE_DETAILMONITOR_USERQUESTION and __CORE_DETAILMONITOR_USERQUESTION["modified"] then
            menu.contextMenuMode = nil
        end
    end
As you can see, it has little or nothing to do with what you were asking lol, but yes, what happens to you is strange, I don't have the same experience and I can't think of what could cause it, in your particular case.
"All my contributions to the Technical Support and Public Beta Feedback sections will be concise and to the point, no diatribes, that's what the other sections are for".
Thank you for your efforts.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”