Erlking main battery use ?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Pesanur
x4

Re: Erlking main battery use ?

Post by Pesanur » Fri, 25. Mar 22, 20:36

I think that the game need a toggle for those charging weapons to select between charging mode and constant firing mode.

Firstborne

Post by Firstborne » Fri, 20. May 22, 21:24

In all honesty, the Erlking is a ridiculous ship. It is neither weak, nor overly powerful if flown incorrectly... Yet it is the one ship that will not only survive the largest fighter swarms the game can manage with capital ship support, but win as well, 1 versus all.

The main cannon is weird, and a tad annoying at first, but it is a great cannon for this particular ship, for it allows the player to attack larger threats from afar, without damage loss. This is its strong point.

Unlike the Asgard, which is made for frontal assaults that melt literally everything every three to five minutes, the Erlking is made for a real scrap, and to do immense damage over time. It is made to be flown in medium to high speed engagement circles, at medium to lojg range to avoid heavy weapons, while its turrets heavily damage literally everything.

Consider this: when engaging enemy Xenon, I am able to wipe stations with this one ship alone, even though the station has I, K, P, M, and defense drones, and incoming support. It takes me less time to wipe the station and its defenses, than it does for me to do the same with an Asgard. I am playing the unmodded base game, with all expansions. I'll explain how I fly this scrapper, so that you can see how to implement its powerful strengths.

Set the large turrets to "Attack my target", while setting your smaller turrets, plus the two regular turrets you can fill with what you like (I use flak) to "attack everything".

This allows your large turrets to act like secondary main weapons, and they absolutely pulverize everything at range, while simply removing anything stupid enough to fly closer, completely from existence almost instantly. Simply click your target, and watch it cease to exist.

In the meantime, your small turrets will attack anything else that comes close, and is great for taking out smaller targets, while you focus the larger ones. You can also set your smaller turrets to anti-missile if you are getting bombed by enemies other than the Xenon. This will keep your shields from taking too many hits from those annoying explosives.

Now, when engaging I or K ships that aren't near a station, you can either let your turrets do the job, or you can also use the main cannon, but either way, whatever you are shooting at, will die fast, long before they can get in range. Thanks to the speed of the Erlking, even if the I or K travel drives to you, you can simply move just out of range again, and just lay on the fire. The Erlking has the speed of a really fast fighter, and the ability to simply stay on top of the Xenon, where their turrets are completely useless.

When engaging stations, I use the main gun to add some damage, charged to around a second or so. Doesn't really matter how you do it honestly, it just adds some nice damage, and speeds the station towards its doom... But you could just as easily let your main turrets wipe the station, while you read up on the encyclopedia entries. Takes just a few minutes per module, at around 8k distance, less time if you are closer.

I do have a Cobra M frigate docked on my landing pad, to add two more flak turrets to my arsenal, and I've set them to attack everything. I have 7 small fighters (Moreya, or however you spell the name of that ship) for me to use, in emergencies, or to do certain missions, but I've never needed to undock them in a fight. They are set to intercept, but I keep them docked. I also set my defense drones to missile defense, and keep them disarmed unless I'm seeing missile usage.

With this tactic, you will begin to see how scrappy and insane this ship really is, and how quickly it can pour out damage, and live to talk about some of the most insane battles that you will ever put any ship through.

For instance, do you remember the twins that put a bounty in your head, if you refuse to join their protectyon empire? When you fly back into Averice from the Leap of Faith system, everything is trying to wipe you out. My Erlking flagship, the Jarl, was what I was flying during my latest playthrough. I wiped three systems with this ship alone, on the way to destroying the station you need to wipe out, as a display of power, to get the VIG off your tail. I'm talking endless fighters and bombers, at least 30 Barbarossas, and many stations.

This is the power of the Erlking. All I had to do was just fly in a circle around the stations I was attacking, and my turrets did the rest. Their plasma never even got close to me.

Therefore, think of the main gun for what it is: its a heavy sniper that adds significant damager per second, without loss due to distance. So long as you have targeted your chosen enemy, and set your large turrets to Attack my target, they will perish long before you even consider having to reverse, to keep them at distance.

One final anecdote: while writing this, I was aboard the Jarl, my Erlking flagship. I was destroying a Xenon solar power plant, just letting my turrets do their evil work. A K snuck up on me from my rear flank, and above. I saw my shield start to take big hits. I damn near threw my phone down, which is what I'm typing on, before taking control of my ship, and flying forward, beneath the station, and away from the K. I flew out to around 20km from the K, then turned to face it, while still traveling upwards, to get above it. I had also targeted the K from its icon at the edge of the screen. I came back towards the K from above, while it tried to bring its weapons to bear.

As I came into range, my turrets opened fire. Before the K could get within 7km from me, it was dead, and I was collecting the loot, and sending my Teutas to recycle the ship, within two minutes. This is why this ship is so powerful. The main gun, is simply a sniper, that can be used to keep you connected to the fight, typically from long range. Yet, it really isn't necessary, and if the cannon were anymore powerful, this game would need to add difficulty modes to it, to prevent boredom.

P.S. The Erlking's shields are completely unaffected by the Averice death waves its sun releases every hour. Therefore, I have around 100 Erlkings acting as traders in that area, bringing me insane quantities of energy cells from my many solar stations there. The Erlking, while much research and cost is needed before being built, makes for the most insane trader. You won't have to worry about your traders, if they are all flying Erlkings. :) Plus the Erlking flies far faster than any other trader, and carries more cargo. The Erlking is how one may perform the "winning" harder than Charlie Sheen.

Hope this helps!

KalisaFox
x4

Post by KalisaFox » Sat, 21. May 22, 02:08

Firstborne wrote:
Fri, 20. May 22, 21:24
P.S. The Erlking's shields are completely unaffected by the Averice death waves its sun releases every hour. Therefore, I have around 100 Erlkings acting as traders in that area, bringing me insane quantities of energy cells from my many solar stations there. The Erlking, while much research and cost is needed before being built, makes for the most insane trader. You won't have to worry about your traders, if they are all flying Erlkings. :) Plus the Erlking flies far faster than any other trader, and carries more cargo. The Erlking is how one may perform the "winning" harder than Charlie Sheen.
What mods u running to have more Erlkings? or how did unlock more then one for a fleet of traders? the only mod so far i have found removed the cargo bay for the buidable erlkings

Firstborne

Post by Firstborne » Sat, 21. May 22, 04:00

KalisaFox wrote:
Sat, 21. May 22, 02:08

What mods u running to have more Erlkings? or how did unlock more then one for a fleet of traders? the only mod so far i have found removed the cargo bay for the buidable erlkings
I am not running any mods. I found most of the schems to build it in data vaults. You have to research the Erlking power core though. After that you good.

P.S. I just did some research, because I was confused how you'd gotten an Erlking without the data vaults to begin with. It looks like the reason I have so many, is because this latest playthrough, I started on creative? I think that's why. I loaded a regular game, and wasn't able to build more than one when I tried (I have never tried to build more before.) I was already well founded in my last game before I even got around to getting the Erlking, so I never tried.

Yet, I still don't know for sure why I've been able to build so many, because the game is limited to one, our fishy friend even says so when you first find it. My best guess is creative mode. If that isn't it, I don't know what's up, because I don't use mods on this game. I may in the future, but mods tend to **** up the stability of my games, so I tend to steer clear, unless its something like Fallout 4, or Skyrim.

I'll keep digging.

UPDATE: I found out that the reason I can build more, is do to a bug that has since been fixed. I do not allow steam to automatically update my games, not to update my games when I open them. I update them when I feel like it. I'll probably update, knowing this now. If you'd like to play with more Erlkings, here is my suggestion:

Find the archived, older version of X⁴ that has the bug allowing more Erlkings. Download it. Learn how to find old versions of your games here: https://knockout.chat/thread/10205/1

Install the game to a directory outside your steam folder. Add the game manually to steam. (This prevents steam from updating the damn thing.)

Play

Admiral Sausage

Post by Admiral Sausage » Sat, 21. May 22, 15:10

TKz wrote:
Mon, 21. Mar 22, 00:05
...the best use for this Battleship is .. AA defense ?...
It's good for that, but look at the crew and cargo capacity, and the speed - it's made for pirating.

Caedes91
x4

Post by Caedes91 » Tue, 24. May 22, 21:29

If anything, the Asgard needs more m-turrets. Nobody in their right mind would build a battleship with this few turrets. But do not for the sake of god, nerf the Asgard. Terrans are supposed to be superior! Respect the lore.

The devs already gutted the terrans enough by not giving them any plasma and flak equivalent. After so much time having passed between X3 and X4 setting, the Terrans should have been more advanced then in X3, not inferior. You can only cry that that the Asgard is OP, because the other faction ships are so trash compared to Terrans. And this is completely intended and should remain so.
This is a singleplayer sandbox, meaning you can choose how to play. Don't want strong ships, then don't use them. COH is also paid DLC, so players either get their moneys worth or a decent challenge, if they choose to fight the Terrans.

To the Erlking: Please give us the ability to reverse engineer its equipment onto other ships. We already did the tedious, uninspired data vault missions for its blueprints. So why can't we put the turrets on other ships. Then the basegame ships wouldn't be so weak compared to terrans.

But even if the Erlking was amazing, I would never use it. This thing just looks so freaking ugly for the sake of being ugly.
Ok, maybe the equipment may be unique and not producable, but you can still put them inside another hull, duh.
Then people can finally throw the garbage heap, that is the Erlking, away.

Hope, they return to design philosophy COH and SV with the next DLC. The Paranid redesigns are amazing too.

Pesanur
x4

Post by Pesanur » Tue, 24. May 22, 21:45

Caedes91 wrote:
Tue, 24. May 22, 21:29

To the Erlking: Please give us the ability to reverse engineer its equipment onto other ships. We already did the tedious, uninspired data vault missions for its blueprints. So why can't we put the turrets on other ships. Then the basegame ships wouldn't be so weak compared to terrans.
Those turrets need of the unique power core of the Erlking. The other ships powers cores, cannot supply them with enough energy.

KalisaFox
x4

Post by KalisaFox » Tue, 24. May 22, 23:45

a weaker compotable version of those turrets for other ships would kinda be cool, and with their damage falloff the way they are that doesnt make them best in slot either, depending on how you use them, but not sure egosoft would do that, probably have a higher chance of seeing a modder do something like that, could just make the research part to reverse engineeer pretty expensive, and the parts be quite expensive (like meson stream price jump expensive) so we would only use the engines for example on ships we reallly love, kinda like ship mods anyway. Odd that the shields weaker then terran shields though, maybe should be weaker in 1 way but stronger in another? like very fast regen?

Nulric
x4

Post by Nulric » Wed, 25. May 22, 17:19

First, a disclaimer. I haven't read every post in this thread yet, and I intend to, but I really wanted to offer my opinion here as well, for what it's worth.

As some have noted, the Erlking, in my estimation, when used in certain roles, is positively awesome. Perhaps something like the Asgard outshines it in specific situations, for sure, but the Erlking is currently my favorite ship.

Enough cannot be said about its turrets. The extremely high projectile speeds is what makes them so viable; add to that a very high rate of fire on the mediums, and excellent damage per hit on both turret sizes, plus excellent range (even with the stated power drop off at range)...definitely my favorite turret weapons, alongside the awesome golden beam weapons on the Astrid. An Erlking with a medium ship parked on it is even more effective, and especially paired with an Astrid.

I had two destroyers, an old model Odysseus and a Syn. Those two together absolutely could not survive the fighter swarms of the Vigor sectors, to get me into range of the station I needed to destroy for the Protectyon plot. Luckily, I had found all the vaults for the Erlking before they went hostile, and snatched the ship prior as well.

I went to the trouble to equip the ship with its specialized gear (got the achievement for doing so), then put Terran shields on it. I then rolled into Vigor space with it, followed by my Syn and Odysseus, and what a difference. I was able to get to the station, roast it, and retreat without any ship losses (wasn't using smalls or mediums). I think that, using destroyers, I would have needed another 3 or 4 in addition to my 2, to achieve that result. Maybe more.

As to the main battery, it's no Asgard beam sure, and I like the Terran main batteries more, but I feel like there's not a significant lack of damage coming from it, compared to the main batteries of other destroyers (excluding the monster that is the Asgard). Sure, maybe my mind had expected something a bit more destructive, but I'm still rather pleased with the reality, even not being a fan of charge up weapons.

Add to that high forward/reverse speeds (if poor turn rates, but that's expected), and I really feel like the Erlking is genuinely something special. It's not an auto delete button for the bad guys, sure, but I wouldn't want it to be. What fun is that?

Incidentally, as an experiment, before resolving the Vigor reputation situation, I saved the game and flew it, fully armed, into Windfall The Hoard, and it was eventually destroyed by the fighter swarms. It's not invincible, even against small and mediums, but man, nothing could have gotten that far in before being stopped.

Personally, I love that ship (even if it's not the coolest looking ship I've ever seen).

(EDIT): Thinking about it, I wonder if the biggest issue here we're having is one of expectations coming from the visual design of the Erlking. I mean, you watch that huge main cannon being built onto the Erlking, and probably you think (I certainly did), "That gun has to be devastating!" Then you use it, and first thing you probably notice is that it FEELS very different to use. Then you realize it's not really doing ungodly Asgard-type damage, even when charged, and you're left a bit confused. I don't know about anyone else, but that's how it was for me. After getting used to it, I still love the ship as a whole, but that was a little jarring.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Wed, 25. May 22, 18:15

I have 2 issues with it.
1. It's absolutely fugly. And lacks symmetry. One or the other I might be able to tolerate, both together is a big no no. Incidentally the same reason I disliked Teladi ships back in X3. Literally only flown it once in a custom start to see what this is all about, in my actual game I just modded it and then threw it into my fleet to train it's crew and forgotten about it. Don't think I've ever actually taken the helm in my actual game. Pity though, it has a lot of things I want in it. Except looks sadly, rather take a Syn instead, which properly armed is a real joy to fly.
2. Charge up main gun. Not as bad as Muons I guess because it has a slower ROF, but I still really dislike it. Not exactly a real problem because as mentioned it has OP turrets, but I already hate the looks and won't torture myself with it.

Also sad how bad the Astrid is to actually fly, that along with the general ugliness/lack of symmetry of ToA ships means I'm not actually using anything out of it. Though parking the Astrid in Avarice with the hazard hull mod is my favorite personal office. Nice view.
Besides that, it is kinda sad that I'm not actually using anything much out of the new DLC. Perhaps they should have added some new ion style weapons. At least I can load those on a corvette for some variety.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 26. May 22, 00:24

Caedes91 wrote:
If anything, the Asgard needs more m-turrets. Nobody in their right mind would build a battleship with this few turrets. But do not for the sake of god, nerf the Asgard. Terrans are supposed to be superior! Respect the lore.
It is my understanding the logic is that due to the XL battery being so far beyond any other weapon in the universe there is no need for many M turrets as instead the entire 16 L turret array can be allocated to anti-fighter. The XL battery already has enough capital damage potential to one-shot a destroyer I from full shield from ~12 km away, it does not need L turrets to help with that.
Caedes91 wrote:
Because they do not have an experimental power core to power the turrets.

Lore already explains this. The M and L turrets work by opening an energy channel connected directly to the experimental power core. It is this experimental power core that provides the energy capable of making the turrets so much better than any other turret. No other ship has this experimental power core as it is currently unique. Given enough time and resources geniuses like Boso Tar could probably reverse engineer or even improve it, but that is outside the time frame that the player experiences in X4 and so it will remain just 1 such core in existence in the universe at any given time for the player.
Caedes91 wrote:
But even if the Erlking was amazing
It is amazing. It is literally the best ship in X4. The Asgard is only better at damaging big objects and taking damage, everything else the Erlking is best in class by miles. Fighter swarms melt to the Erlking, most ships cannot even fly as fast as the Erlking, most enemies die before reaching firing range due to the massive 10 km turret range with better than pulse laser accuracy and its travel speed and engage is leagues above any other XL ship. The only down sides to the Erlking is its paper shields meaning exploding ships pose a turret stripping risk and its main battery being a bit lack luster.

All the Erlking needs is its main battery improved to be more satisfying to use. Specifically its maximum charge damage and charge time should be increased 10 to 20 times and a cool charging effect added so that the player only releases it when they feel it will do enough damage. Between the less micro and more satisfying visuals it would be fun to use even if not required. Currently it is a rather unrewarding rhythm game, far better to forget the XL battery even exists and just let the awesome turrets make awesome sounds and explode stuff fast as you focus on flying around at 400 m/s in a ship the size of a town.

Nulric
x4

Post by Nulric » Thu, 26. May 22, 18:00

So something else that occurred to me that I think is often overlooked, as concerns the Erlking. I know this is about the main batteries, but I feel like the only way to fairly assess the main battery situation is to consider the entire ship, and its full range of capabilities, as well as its deficiencies.

So, this point may also mean more for those who don't like flying the ship itself; it has a massive cargo bay. As a warship, it's probably the safest advanced auto trader (with an appropriately skilled pilot) in the game, without needing to have an escort fleet, if you were to use it in that fashion. It's also very fast, compared to larger transports especially.

As an example for the above. There's plenty of time where I'm not going to be enjoying piloting it first-hand myself. So consider the following.

In my game, ZYA has lost half of their sectors to the Xenon, as usually happens. They still have their home sector, but the Xenon are next door. Their remaining two sectors there, are a ghost town right now.

I was going to put a large advanced auto trader or two in there, but it's dangerous, and I'd need to add a robust escort fleet to said traders. I think, as an experiment, I'm going to set the Erlking in there on advanced trading, and just see how it fares on its own.

Granted, a big part of the ZYA problem is raw materials; they need miners in my game right now, especially. But once I sort that out, they need transport ships to move the refined goods. Plus, there's the better supplied Teladi next door that my trader can draw resources from, and move to the ZYA area.

It's definitely worth having a beast like the Erlking in the area, helping with the issue, as well as providing potential combat capabilities.
Last edited by Nulric on Thu, 26. May 22, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

Admiral Sausage

Post by Admiral Sausage » Thu, 26. May 22, 18:16

Raptor34 wrote:
Wed, 25. May 22, 18:15
...It's absolutely fugly...
It's literally a trash ship. In that context, I think it looks superb, along with all the other ToA ships.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 26. May 22, 18:47

Admiral Sausage wrote:
Thu, 26. May 22, 18:16
Raptor34 wrote:
Wed, 25. May 22, 18:15
...It's absolutely fugly...
It's literally a trash ship. In that context, I think it looks superb, along with all the other ToA ships.
If you like that aesthetic yeah. Objectively speaking I do think they look appropriate, ignoring how some of the fighters uses Terran cockpits, think that's really weird.
But I don't like such aesthetics so I don't like them.

KalisaFox
x4

Post by KalisaFox » Fri, 27. May 22, 02:54

i also love the way the Erlking looks, im all for these more scrapped together ships, as for stats i think the only thing i would like to see changed with the main battery as others have mentioned, is a longer charge time option, let us charge like 5-10x as long for really high powered shots if we want, it should never be near asgard level but this ship still has an experemental high power energy source that the main gun does use so it would make sense to at least have some serious firepower considering how strong the turrets are compared to everything else, oh and slightly buffing the shield, everything else is clearly by far best in slot, and its not like we dont have comparable REALLY GOOD tier 1 shields, look as the astrid, it just would feel better if the the shields were just even comparable to terran Mk2 shields, not even strictly better, cause again, experemental power source, lore wise perhaps just really good regen?

Caedes91
x4

Post by Caedes91 » Fri, 27. May 22, 19:03

Pesanur wrote:
Tue, 24. May 22, 21:45
Those turrets need of the unique power core of the Erlking. The other ships powers cores, cannot supply them with enough energy.
If you can build an Asgard, whose power core is strong enough to run the freaking Death Star laser and 16 Plasma turrets on top of all its other functions, the argument for the Erlking immediately becomes moot.
Even if the weaponry needs the experimental power core to function: What stops us from putting the entire core itself on another hull, or put an entire new hull around it? Nobody in their right mind would fly the Erlking. It looks structurally so weak, that firing the engines alone should make it fall apart.

If these ugly ToA ships were added through a free update, nobody would mind. But this is not the case. You pay 15$ for them, the same price you paid for Split and Terran ships. ToA ships are not even close to basegame ships. I miss the X Rebirth designs, even when I hated that game itself. The times when everyone thought that X4 vanilla ships were the low point of the entire X franchise.

Nobody argues, that rough looking, amateurish built ships have no right to exist. Take the Yaki for example: Their ships are just modified Paranid ships, but they make sense lorewise, even if I don't approve of asset flips like that. They are pirates stranded in the middle of nowhere, so they had to use their existing knowledge and available resources. Pirates, criminals and salvagers operate like that.

ToA ships also look like one lonely junker just welded them together with whatever scrap he had. Its looks come from necessity, not intention. This is also plausible, but only if they were ships unique to certain NPCs. However these "designs" are not unique to one or two NPCs. The ships clearly come from an assembly line, meaning: Somebody deliberately designed it ugly like that. And the entire faction, somehow lacks even a single engineer to deny this physically horrible design and just goes along to deliberately mass produce them like that. Asymetrical ships do not make sense, not even in space. They would fly terribly due to uneven mass distribution. This is why the Kukri of the terrans is so out of place.

Hope, that Egosoft returns to common reason and just make them at least symmetrical in an upcoming update.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Fri, 27. May 22, 19:36

Caedes91 wrote:
Fri, 27. May 22, 19:03
Pesanur wrote:
Tue, 24. May 22, 21:45
If you can build an Asgard, whose power core is strong enough to run the freaking Death Star laser and 16 Plasma turrets on top of all its other functions, the argument for the Erlking immediately becomes moot.
Even if the weaponry needs the experimental power core to function: What stops us from putting the entire core itself on another hull, or put an entire new hull around it? Nobody in their right mind would fly the Erlking. It looks structurally so weak, that firing the engines alone should make it fall apart.

If these ugly ToA ships were added through a free update, nobody would mind. But this is not the case. You pay 15$ for them, the same price you paid for Split and Terran ships. ToA ships are not even close to basegame ships. I miss the X Rebirth designs, even when I hated that game itself. The times when everyone thought that X4 vanilla ships were the low point of the entire X franchise.

Nobody argues, that rough looking, amateurish built ships have no right to exist. Take the Yaki for example: Their ships are just modified Paranid ships, but they make sense lorewise, even if I don't approve of asset flips like that. They are pirates stranded in the middle of nowhere, so they had to use their existing knowledge and available resources. Pirates, criminals and salvagers operate like that.

ToA ships also look like one lonely junker just welded them together with whatever scrap he had. Its looks come from necessity, not intention. This is also plausible, but only if they were ships unique to certain NPCs. However these "designs" are not unique to one or two NPCs. The ships clearly come from an assembly line, meaning: Somebody deliberately designed it ugly like that. And the entire faction, somehow lacks even a single engineer to deny this physically horrible design and just goes along to deliberately mass produce them like that. Asymetrical ships do not make sense, not even in space. They would fly terribly due to uneven mass distribution. This is why the Kukri of the terrans is so out of place.

Hope, that Egosoft returns to common reason and just make them at least symmetrical in an upcoming update.
On the one hand I agree.
Otoh, that's just you. Some people actually do like such designs.
Take X3 Teladi ships for instance, people love those ships for some godforsaken reason.

kar dragon
x4

Post by kar dragon » Fri, 27. May 22, 20:00

Caedes91 wrote:
I agree with you there. When there are things like the Asgard that can produce stupid amounts of energy to fire its weapons, the argument for the uniqueness of the Erlking breaks down immediately. Could be a research to allow to build more of that ship, at the cost of an Asgard's worth of money and materials.
Caedes91 wrote:

And here is where I come to disagree. The whole point of these ships is that they are built from scavenged parts of destroyed ships, as there is a general lack of resources to properly build new ones in the ToA sectors. Sure, all of them looking identical to the point of becoming a class of ships is dumb, but that's an engine restriction, as it would be very processing and memory intensive to build original ships everywhere for that class. It's a necessary compromise for the sake of gameplay. Now, for the argument of uneven mass, there is the uneven thrust counterpoint, where you add more thrust on the heavier parts to compensate. Just look at ships from different franchises, like Star Wars' B-Wing, or Eve Online's Catalyst. Hell, you could even stay in the same franchise and just look at X3's Phoenix. Sure, it's a capital ship, but there have always been uneven, asymmetrical designs in the franchise for more established factions. The DLC ones are all scavenger factions that just got reconnected to the commonwealth of planets. As ships were destroyed or succumbed to lack of maintenance, they needed to find ways to get more to survive, and putting working parts of otherwise destroyed ships together to make one that can fly, if barely, is the easiest way to do it, especially in a conflict heavy system like Windfall or prone to natural disasters like Avarice.

Nulric
x4

Post by Nulric » Fri, 27. May 22, 20:38

Caedes91 wrote:
I feel like it's getting forgotten that a notable portion of the ship design work that went into ToA (read: ship specific development hours), was applied (understandably so, given player demand) to the new Paranid ships. They basically got a full revamp of their large ship fleet.

I know that doesn't relate strictly to the discussion of liking the aesthetics of the Raker and Vigor ships, but I feel like it is somewhat relevant to the conversation. Other expansions had the benefit of design being concentrated largely just in the new factions, but ToA brought a bit of a balancing act, in terms of new faction's ships versus a revamp of older ones. It's worth keeping in mind at least, even if it doesn't directly speak to the aesthetics. It certainly speaks to the question of value of the purchase of ToA, and what comes with it.

Caedes91
x4

Post by Caedes91 » Sat, 28. May 22, 15:44

Nulric wrote:
Fri, 27. May 22, 20:38
Caedes91 wrote:
I feel like it's getting forgotten that a notable portion of the ship design work that went into ToA (read: ship specific development hours), was applied (understandably so, given player demand) to the new Paranid ships. They basically got a full revamp of their large ship fleet.

I know that doesn't relate strictly to the discussion of liking the aesthetics of the Raker and Vigor ships, but I feel like it is somewhat relevant to the conversation. Other expansions had the benefit of design being concentrated largely just in the new factions, but ToA brought a bit of a balancing act, in terms of new faction's ships versus a revamp of older ones. It's worth keeping in mind at least, even if it doesn't directly speak to the aesthetics. It certainly speaks to the question of value of the purchase of ToA, and what comes with it.
Though I am empathizing with Egosoft not being a AAA developer, it doesn't matter where the ship design work went in this case. Reason is because this time, it is paid DLC. When you charge the same price as previously, you can't compromise, just because you had to fix another problem, that is not part of the DLC.
This excuse is only acceptable, if the ships were added for free. Then nobody would complain if certain ships were more neglected.

By the way, they shouldn't have had to redesign the paranid ships in the first place by doing it right from the get go. Not reusing X3 designs. That these persisted for this long until they were finally fixed was regrettable. But better late then never. The game is still getting supported, so kudos for that. A game like this needs more free ships or redesign/buff basegame ships.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”