[spoiler] Torus Mission Feedback

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

razoth
x4

[spoiler] Torus Mission Feedback

Post by razoth » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 14:44

For those of you who already played the Torus mission for prof. Feynmann, how did u like it?

I absolutly loved it! Exploring a famous piece of X history, the good readability of what you have to do and the small puzzles inside (which are a really nice break to the regular gameplay) were awesome.

I did have some trouble with the Apotheosis mission in the paranid plot (got lost; didn't find the controll board, that opens the weakspot you could blow up; it just took (me) too long), but I think the torus is way better designed (and it looks pretty cool).

I'm having a good time right now with Cradle of Humanity and hope it has some more highlights up it's sleeves. Thanks Egosofties

alt3rn1ty
x4

Re: [spoiler] Torus Mission Feedback

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 15:18

I'm really enjoying it, the boost recharge rate on the Owl is awesome (or at least it is to me I normally fly around in a Nemesis, maybe thats normal for small fighters).
Loved the moment you get access to it.
Unfortunately I am now stuck - Had no problems with the Apotheosis mission in the paranid plot, but I cant seem to progress in the 'Gain access' stage, got me and my new friend past the airlocks into what seems to be a hub, my friend communicated with the station (missed half the conversation they had due to RL distractions), the place has gone hostile, but there doesn't seem to be anything else to do except reverse the process and go back out? (I tried that but cant open the outer door again, there is no highlighted switch evident either inside the hub or near the outer door).

Maybe I am missing something obvious or something scripted didn't fire.

Edit : @Egosoft, take note ..

Found the issue :), Was missing something not quite so obvious, caught a glimpse of some red and green glows behind the structure in the circular hub, probably not quite so obvious due to me having game graphics settings so cut down and reflections on metal not showing too well.
Last edited by alt3rn1ty on Wed, 17. Mar 21, 15:57, edited 4 times in total.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

hannihanagarth
x4

Post by hannihanagarth » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 15:29

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 15:18
(missed half the conversation they had due to RL distractions)
This is something that happened to me as well, it would be really cool if the different stages would show the conversations you already had. Should not be too much work as well, as there are already transcripts for the subtexts. @EGOSOFT : Go go go, make a trainee copy all that text into the mission descriptions :D

grumble3141
x4

Post by grumble3141 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 15:57

I'm hating the 8 switches personally.

razoth
x4

Post by razoth » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 16:54

grumble3141 wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 15:57
I'm hating the 8 switches personally.
It reminded me of the kind of puzzle from some skyrim dungeon. And like I said, I enjoyed it, but it's not perfect either. The switches are a little far apart and the spacesuit is quite slow, so figuring out how it works is unnecessaryly more cumbersome, than it needed to be. If the switches were all in view at once and you could see the effect, it would be way more obvious, I think.

edit:
alt3rn1ty wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 15:18
[...] (missed half the conversation they had due to RL distractions) [...]
Isn't there a log for mission conversations. If not: there should be!
Also thats one of the reasons I had problems during Apotheosis mission :D

half0
x3tc

Post by half0 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 17:07

Yea, I've been stuck on those 8 switches for hours now :(
Those who are afraid of the dark has never seen what the light can do

half0
x3tc

Post by half0 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 17:36

lol NM. Got past it a few mins after posting this

ChrisF0001
x4

Post by ChrisF0001 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 18:10

I feel like I didn't understand the eight switches puzzle even after completing it. I just sort of tried stuff until it worked. Otherwise, great. :)

Also, a very weird discovery... While I was right outside the place, one of my remote almost undefended stations got attacked by a wandering Xenon K. And then it turned out that while <redacted to save a spoiler tag, but you know what I mean> you can't command your own ships. Fortunately being in the spacesuit resolved that (and I was able to relay-teleport all the way over to Family Zhin to save the place), but good grief, that was a tense moment. Sometimes it's hard to do plot stuff while the post-update issues are being worked out of the old trade empire...

Anda1839
x4

Post by Anda1839 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 18:47

I think i am too stupid for this one.
Have been stuck now for hours with the 8 switches.
Can anyone give me some help?

razoth
x4

Post by razoth » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 20:08

Anda1839 wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 18:47
I think i am too stupid for this one.
Have been stuck now for hours with the 8 switches.
Can anyone give me some help?
I can't give you the solution (don't have a save from before the quest anymore; also it might be randomised anyway), but I can give you some general tips:
Spoiler
Show
The goal is to have all the switches green. When you press a switch, a specific other switch gets toggled as well (this seems unchanging, so if you press 4 and it toggles 5 with it, 4 will always toggle 5 as well). You could write down, which switch toggles which other switch, but I didn't. My strategy was something like:
  1. press one of the red buttons and if the linked switch gets green (active) go to the next red, otherwise turn that switch off again
  2. repeat 1 until only 2 red switches are left
  3. to solve the last two, which in most cases won't be linked, hit one of the two reds, which swapes the red one you hit for the one it is linked to
  4. repeat 3 until you have two reds left which are linked
  5. hit the one, that toggles both

I'm not 100% sure that this will work in any case, but I feel like it should. When I did it, I hit a few random ones first, to even understand what is meant, so I didn't follow my plan immediatly. Some of the switches also had some kind of shield sometimes, not sure how that works, it didn't matter in my case (maybe got lucky).

Agent256
x4

Post by Agent256 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 20:22

just did the last part:
Spoiler
Show

every switch triggers one other, but two of them will actually switch 2 other switches
links: (means activate x with repair beam -> y,z will activate/switch too):
1 -> 2
2 -> 1,3
3 -> 4
4 -> 5
5 -> 4
6 -> 5
7 -> 8
8 -> 6,7
just pick an activation order that doesnt trigger switches twice (of course switches should be all red in the beginning)
for example 8,5,2 should work
no guarantee for mistakes on my part :D

d1c3
x4

Post by d1c3 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 20:36

Agent256 wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 20:22
just did the last part:
Spoiler
Show

every switch triggers one other, but two of them will actually switch 2 other switches
1 -> 2
2 -> 1,3
3 -> 4
4 -> 5
5 -> 4
6 -> 5
7 -> 8
8 -> 6,7
just pick an activation order that doesnt trigger switches twice (of course switches should be all red in the beginning)
That ist exactly my observation of the links too. But for for some reason 7 and 8 are in opposite states for me and therefore cannot be made both green at the same time. It is just impossible to solve

Agent256
x4

Post by Agent256 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 21:13

meh sorry cant help with that, first thing i did was to overwrite the savegame... :oops:

tbh i just fooled arround some time before i got annoyed and grabbed pen and paper.
maybe missed a reset mechanic.

grumble3141
x4

Post by grumble3141 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 21:37

Agent256 wrote:
just did the last part:
Spoiler
Show

1 -> 2
2 -> 1,3
3 -> 4
4 -> 5
5 -> 4
6 -> 5
7 -> 8
8 -> 6,7
Would work if they all started off/red I don't know if it changes but mine started 1, 2, 7, 8 on/green and protected 3, 4, 5, 6, off/red.
Last edited by grumble3141 on Wed, 17. Mar 21, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

half0
x3tc

Post by half0 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 21:38

Spoiler
Show
The point is to get all the switches to be green. I had to write down which ones changed the others like above.

ulius4

Post by ulius4 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 21:48

How do you get out of the torus after downloading the data? I went back the way I came in but the initial entrance is still closed.

grumble3141
x4

Post by grumble3141 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 22:12

Spoiler
Show
Ok Starts with 1,2,7,8 on/green and protected 3, 4, 5, 6 off/red. Do 3, 4, 4, 6, 5 and firewall will be activated and all turn red. Then do a 2, 5, 8 and you're there.

if you're not at all red what I saw was
1 - 2
2 - 1, 3
3 - 4
4 - 5
5 - 4
6 - 5
7 - 8
8 - 6, 7
Worked for me anyway.

grumble3141
x4

Post by grumble3141 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 22:14

ulius4 wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 21:48
How do you get out of the torus after downloading the data? I went back the way I came in but the initial entrance is still closed.
You don't go back the way you came but forward.

darrund
x4

Post by darrund » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 00:30

Someone thinks that having different versions of the maze thing is fun. Sorry guys but I honestly consider it to be a ridiculous idea.
I hate every minute of it and having to die every now and then because of the "hazardous regions" makes it even more ridiculous.
So much that I honestly believe I will put it to inactive and be gone with that.

razoth
x4

Post by razoth » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 00:35

grumble3141 wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 21:37
Agent256 wrote:
[...]
Would work if they all started off/red I don't know if it changes but mine started 1, 2, 7, 8 on/green and protected 3, 4, 5, 6, off/red.
I maid a few assumptions, that might not necassaryly hold. But in generel it should be a decent strategy anyway. The problem is, that one might get stuck before the end condition is hit. It's more a guess than an reliable algorythm. I also assume that every linked switch is only linked once and have no idea if thats actually the case. Also I never got a red that is protected :D

edit:
[...] So much that I honestly believe I will put it to inactive and be gone with that.
Spoiler
Show
I'm not sure, but I don't think I got anything anyway (except for the ship, which was destroyed because I left it docked to feynmann's ship. No idea what happened lol), even after feynmann said he finished his genesis project.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”