Mission Help

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

i64man
x3tc

Mission Help

Post by i64man » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 08:55

I am stuck trying to kill a Yaki ship in Neptune. It is part of a mission, which I believe is call something along the line "one less threat". This Yaki is the same one that shows up when you and your wingman explore Savage Spur at the beginning of the Terran campaign. I tried with the Gladius and failed, I tried with a Katana and manage to get his shields down and some damage to the hull, before "his children" a bunch of Xenon M's spawn and kill me. If you know which mission I am referring to, I would appreciate any hints. Like I said, I have a heavy fighter and a Katana. I have almost enough to buy a Jian gunboat, so I will try that eventually.

Thanks

chip56

Re: Mission Help

Post by chip56 » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 12:08

A katana with full terran gear and pulse weapons should actually be enough to handle that. You could mod it weapon upgrades if you havent already.
Just use the dialog time to move into position and have the enemy in your sights and then fire all you got on it. With a katana you should be fast enough to keep it in your sights long enough to destroy it. And once that down is a couple smaller xenon shouldn't pose any real risk to a katana with terran shields.

i64man
x3tc

Post by i64man » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 12:57

That is what I thought after playing with the heavy fighter..... as for my main weapons, I have 4x proton cannons Mk2. Aren't they better than the pulse cannons?

chip56

Post by chip56 » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 13:27

Unlike x3 where i was going more with the slower high damage weapons I have far better results in x4 with the faster weapons. Probably because of the general higher speed of ships and higher range of weapons.
I would recommend you just try to switch to pulses and see how that works for you.

i64man
x3tc

Post by i64man » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 13:50

Thanks Chip56 for the tip, I guess I will need to load that save file and give it a shot.

Waltz99
x4

Post by Waltz99 » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 12:26

Its not easy but you can do it with the Gladius.
Make sure your Gladius has highest lvl gears.
I use the MK2 pulse weapons.
Spoiler
Show
When the Yaki threatens the Bolo position yourself behind the Yaki.
As soon it turns red start shooting. It will escape and call xenon.
Normally you should be able to kill the Yaki before the xenon reaches you.

Then to deal with the xenon. Kill a fighter and boost out.
Let your shields repair and look for the xenon thats not grouped with others. Kill the one and get rid of their numbers like this.

Whatever you do. Make sure you always have enough shield left to boost out of battle.

Sattler_Norbert
x4

Post by Sattler_Norbert » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 15:08

Since everyone hates Xenon, you could also try to lure them near a station to get their guns and drones as help.

i64man
x3tc

Post by i64man » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 08:42

Now I know the name of the mission, a pirate trail. And is kicking my 4rh point of contact..... :evil: I have only manage to kill the bloody ship x1, but then get kill by his children. I have pulse cannons on my katana for longer range and my Jian gunboats is always too far away. Do anyone actually beat this mission?

chip56

Post by chip56 » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 10:10

yes, with a katana and multiple times actually.
I get how you struggle if you dont kill the yaki ship (that one can actually dish out quite a bit and its fast enough to actually manover itself into a favourable position) but why do you have problems with xenon if you are in a katana? How long does it take you to kill the yaki and how much shield do you have left after the yaki? If you get behind it during the dialog you should be able to kill it before the xenon even arrive and if you dont aggro them all at once they shouldnt be able to make a dent into terran shields on a katana. Those terran shields are incredible strong and if you can afford a katana i hope you didnt go with mk1 shields?

So for any further tips i think you need to explain a bit further how this goes wrong:
1) Do you get BEHIND the yaki during dialog?
2) Do you blast eveything you have on it asap and destroy it fast or does it get away and you use up all your shields boosting behind it? If you are lacking firepower you might want to try cowboy upgrades for your guns. Those can if you get a perfect increase your rate of fire by 100%. Of course long term you run into an heat issue but if its "kill this one S/M target fast" they are a great choice and since its a common mod you should have no issue to install those
3) Assuming you kill the yaki efficently you should be at full or at least near full shields and have a bit of time left to point your guns towards the xenon so they shouldnt be all behind you.
4) Single out a xenon an destroy them one by one. dont try to attack multiple ones just because you need to make a turn to finish one off. Only switch targets if you think you can easily destroy the new target and it would take long to get the old one into your sights again.
5) If they actually manage to damage your shields massivly: Use the remaining 25% or so to boost out of combat, recharge your shields and go back in, starting preferably with a xenon thats a bit farther away from the others so that you can focus on it without suffering too much damage yourself. Use your own boost sparingly, boost damages your shield and any damage to shields also stops shield regen on S/M.

Sattler_Norbert
x4

Post by Sattler_Norbert » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 11:06

You could try to drop a couple of laser towers or save up for going there with additional ships if nothing else works.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 12:49

I actually do this mission on the Gladius, full shields and MK2 Lasers. You leave the Yaki for the end, take care of the "children" as they come (preferably luring them to the near by station to help with it's defences, the P should go first), then go back and kill the Yaki. He'll not kill the Bolo (it's part of the mission) and not be killed by it...

EDIT: It goes without saying that, since you already have the PHQ, you have researched at least the first "chasis" mod. If you apply the "drag" mod you'll never recognise the Gladius... 300m/s speed and turns on a dime. Also very helpful is to already have SETA so you can use it to get close with precision (traveldrive sucks in precision) with these Xenon and other stuff... No need to boost just to speed things up, or wait till morning for them to come into range...

i64man
x3tc

Post by i64man » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 15:08

My Katana has mk3 shields and 4x mk2 pulse lasers for longer range. It is like there is no enough time for me to get behind the Yaki....I will try it again soon. Also, I am using a mouse/keyboard combo instead of a joystick

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 21:13

i64man wrote:
Sat, 17. Apr 21, 15:08
My Katana has mk3 shields and 4x mk2 pulse lasers for longer range. It is like there is no enough time for me to get behind the Yaki....I will try it again soon. Also, I am using a mouse/keyboard combo instead of a joystick
M/K has nothing to do... I haven't used joystick in X games since X Tension (I had a joystick from Elite when I started with XBTF) never a problem...

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”