What does the Teuta do?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

VincentTH
x4

What does the Teuta do?

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 8. Apr 22, 18:26

The encyclopedia says it breaks large wreck into smaller wrecks for Manticore to handle them, but I could not figure out how I can use it. It must be some equipment that it needs? I can't bring up the Equip menu while at the SY in Avarice.

Arvel
x4

Re: What does the Teuta do?

Post by Arvel » Fri, 8. Apr 22, 23:40

The Teuta uses builder drones to deconstruct wrecks into scrap cubes that tugs can tow back to scrap refineries. You can set it to autosalvage in a sector, or right-click on a specific large wreck and tell it to salvage it.

The ship itself does not earn any direct income. The cubes it creates are free/unclaimed so any Manticore can grab them (yours or not), so there's fairly little incentive to own one when the AI factions will field their own for your Manticores to pilfer from. Another issue is that there seems to be a bug where your Teutas can't find any wrecks to salvage unless you are physically in-sector.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Sun, 10. Apr 22, 00:29

Arvel wrote:
Fri, 8. Apr 22, 23:40
The Teuta uses builder drones to deconstruct wrecks into scrap cubes that tugs can tow back to scrap refineries. You can set it to autosalvage in a sector, or right-click on a specific large wreck and tell it to salvage it.

The ship itself does not earn any direct income. The cubes it creates are free/unclaimed so any Manticore can grab them (yours or not), so there's fairly little incentive to own one when the AI factions will field their own for your Manticores to pilfer from. Another issue is that there seems to be a bug where your Teutas can't find any wrecks to salvage unless you are physically in-sector.
Ah Thanks!!!!

So there is a Dismantle Wreck command which requires the player to select a target, but there is no way to automate/make that process repeatable (i.e. does not require the player intervention) without the player having to pick a target and manually issue the command Dismantle!!!!
Ideally the Dismantle command should work in a Repeat loop similar to the Mine command. The player starts the Repeat command, then select a location on the map and issue a Dismantle command.

Witzzard
x4

Post by Witzzard » Sun, 10. Apr 22, 08:58

VincentTH wrote:
Sun, 10. Apr 22, 00:29
Arvel wrote:

Ah Thanks!!!!

So there is a Dismantle Wreck command which requires the player to select a target, but there is no way to automate/make that process repeatable (i.e. does not require the player intervention) without the player having to pick a target and manually issue the command Dismantle!!!!
Ideally the Dismantle command should work in a Repeat loop similar to the Mine command. The player starts the Repeat command, then select a location on the map and issue a Dismantle command.
Can't confirm the bug report - i think they fixed it with 5.10 or something - as the Teuta i'm having was seemingly fine in working while i wasn't in the sctor.
The command itself works rather like auto-trade. Meaning you can set a general sector for salvaging and a gate distance. So it will repeat work, as long as there's some big piece to slavage around.

The problem with Salvaging can be to a degree, that both the Manticore and Teuta have no check to see what's within range of the salvage they want to get. Meaning the things they want to process could be directly in fron of an enemy defence station, and they'd still fly there. So they're seemingly best used in normal faction war sectors, whereas your friendly with both factions.

Arvel
x4

Post by Arvel » Sun, 10. Apr 22, 08:59

VincentTH wrote:
You can use the auto-salvage behavior to have it automatically look for wrecks to dismantle. However, it seemed to be bugged, as my Teuta couldn't see/find any wrecks unless I was physically in sector (this was in 5.0, so it's possible it's been patched already).

I did not try assigning it to salvage for a station, which should automate the process as well (if it's not affected by the same bug). My Teuta was destroyed in its infancy by a Xenon incursion, but I was already so underwhelmed with it that I didn't bother building another.

Overall, the ship felt worthless. Not only did it require me being physically present for its automation to work due to the aforementioned bug, but the fruits of its labor (scrap cubes) can be freely taken by other Factions' tugs. There's only room for one scrap pirate in this galaxy. :evil:

Withidread
x4

Post by Withidread » Fri, 22. Apr 22, 15:20

Arvel wrote:
Sun, 10. Apr 22, 08:59
VincentTH wrote:
You can use the auto-salvage behavior to have it automatically look for wrecks to dismantle. However, it seemed to be bugged, as my Teuta couldn't see/find any wrecks unless I was physically in sector (this was in 5.0, so it's possible it's been patched already).

I did not try assigning it to salvage for a station, which should automate the process as well (if it's not affected by the same bug). My Teuta was destroyed in its infancy by a Xenon incursion, but I was already so underwhelmed with it that I didn't bother building another.

Overall, the ship felt worthless. Not only did it require me being physically present for its automation to work due to the aforementioned bug, but the fruits of its labor (scrap cubes) can be freely taken by other Factions' tugs. There's only room for one scrap pirate in this galaxy. :evil:
The auto-salvage behavior has been working fine for me, but choosing an appropriate anchor sector is important. Find a place where you can reliably count on L-class ships or stations being destroyed and the Teuta should move in to gobble up the wrecks. Second Contact Flashpoint, Hatikvah's Choice 1, and Pious Mists all had plenty for me. It should be noted though, Teutas are squishy and not the best at self-preservation.

What I've noticed however, after deciding to... forcibly appropriate everything in Profit Center Alpha for salvage, is that the icons for salvaged station wrecks stick around. I'm not sure how long they're supposed to stick around, but I have yet to see one disappear from the map.

KalisaFox
x4

Post by KalisaFox » Sun, 24. Apr 22, 09:57

I got a massive defense station set up at the enterance to savage spur 2 from the yaki area and have my salvage operation there, xenon constantly sending fleets and i have the station wrapped around the highway and it makes for some amazing scrap production, some danger though for if a large enough attack comes thru then my salvagers are at risk.

jaspertomas

Post by jaspertomas » Thu, 11. Aug 22, 15:27

Assign to it a captain with a pilot skill level of 2, and you can go to this ship's behavior tab and tell it to autosalvage. Otherwise you'll have to be in sector and tell it which wreck to dismantle.

Mevelios

Post by Mevelios » Thu, 11. Aug 22, 16:55

Withidread wrote:
Fri, 22. Apr 22, 15:20
The auto-salvage behavior has been working fine for me, but choosing an appropriate anchor sector is important. Find a place where you can reliably count on L-class ships or stations being destroyed and the Teuta should move in to gobble up the wrecks.
That's the most important part, you can make a fortune off wreck fields anywhere except Avarice/Windfall where the Rakers operate.

As a side note though, I was surprised to see I could order Rakers' teutas to force eject their scrap cubes. Maybe it's only permitted through faction reputation, I was already above 20 at the moment.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Younger

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 14. Aug 22, 11:29

Can you assign the Teuta subordinate manticores who will then sell the cubes generating a profit?

jaspertomas

Post by jaspertomas » Sat, 20. Aug 22, 17:59

grapedog wrote:
Sun, 14. Aug 22, 11:29
Can you assign the Teuta subordinate manticores who will then sell the cubes generating a profit?
You must assign the manticores to a scrap yard (salvage for commander). Any cubes the Teuta produces will be up for grabs for any manicore, whether yours or not. Sorry.

jaspertomas

Post by jaspertomas » Sat, 20. Aug 22, 22:04

VincentTH wrote:
Arvel wrote:

Ah Thanks!!!!

I've figured it out!
1. Make sure that the captain has at least 2 star Pilot Skill
2. Tell it to fly and wait in a part of the map that's red or pink (in a sector with Raw Scrap resource of course. )
3. Set the behavior to autosalvage.
4. If there's a "Failed Behavior" under "Default Behavior", delete it. This is the main cause of our problem. The Teuta is acting out the Failed Behavior instead of the Current Behavior.
5. Delete the Fly and Wait command, and all other commands, to activate the Default Behavior (Autosalvage).

It works for me. No software upgrades, resource beacons or satellites necessary. No need to go in sector.

The last time this happened to me, the Teuta simply had found itself in a black part of the map (in Getsu Fune) and had given up finding resources. It had a "Failed Behavior" in its Default Behavior list - "No usable wrecks found in range". I deleted that behavior item (Not the current behavior, which is Autosalvage), and it started looking for wrecks again. Of course it won't find any, coz it was in the black part of the map. I ordered it to fly to a red part of the map, and deleted the Fly and Wait command. It found a wreck and went to work.

Here are some other things I learned that might help you scrappers out there.

Install the Fast Manticore mod, and maybe the Multi Scrap Processor Station Fix if you have several scrap processors.

If you want to see destroyed ships (not naturally spawning wrecks) on the map, turn on the "Other" filter (below Trade and Mining). If there's a satellite nearby, you'll see them.

Hauling PROCESSED scrap to an energy rich zone takes a lot fewer ships than hauling energy to a wreck rich zone, simply coz you have around half as much stuff to move around. Manorinas (Ore Miner) on the other hand can carry processed scrap (1000 units, same as a cube) but flies maybe twice as fast. Plus, they cost half as much as vultures or manticores if you don't give them mining turrets. So if you're harvesting scrap in Getsu Fune, build your Scrap Processors in Getsu Fune and your Scrap Recyclers in Mercury. And get the Mules Extended mod to haul everything back and forth. =D
Last edited by jaspertomas on Thu, 1. Sep 22, 07:25, edited 2 times in total.

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Tue, 30. Aug 22, 16:07

How long are scrap cubes in an un-modded game supposed to stay in the world before the garbage collector takes them??
They appear to only stay approximately as long as dropped ore/silicon crates.

When I have a fresh wreck dismantled OOS the cubes do not stick around long enough for manticores to pick them up :(

jaspertomas

Post by jaspertomas » Thu, 1. Sep 22, 07:26

sirprosik wrote:
Tue, 30. Aug 22, 16:07
How long are scrap cubes in an un-modded game supposed to stay in the world before the garbage collector takes them??
They appear to only stay approximately as long as dropped ore/silicon crates.

When I have a fresh wreck dismantled OOS the cubes do not stick around long enough for manticores to pick them up :(
How far away is your station from your teuta, and how many manticores do you have?

SgtAstro
x4

Post by SgtAstro » Fri, 16. Dec 22, 21:25

What would you say is the best ratio of Teuta to Manticore for a defense outpost guarding one of the xenon invasion routes? I have enough defense disk platforms with a variety of weapons so that anything that comes through dies basically instantly. Even K's. I haven't seen them try an I yet. So my salvage operation is fairly safe.

(My station has several scrap recycling modules and I have a solar power station a short trip away).

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”