Destroyer load out for pirating?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Damian Swift
x4

Destroyer load out for pirating?

Post by Damian Swift » Thu, 30. Jun 22, 14:16

Captured the freebie Paranid destroyer and want to turn it into a pirate ship (boarding etc...) But as I'm new to pirating I'm unsure what load out to put on the beast?

Terran shields, Argon plasma turrets, Terran main gun weapons?

Also how many marines would I need (say, for a marauder destroyer)?

All advice appreciated.

jlehtone
x4

Re: Destroyer load out for pirating?

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 30. Jun 22, 16:04

On the amount of marines:
Mechanics: viewtopic.php?p=5133564#p5133564
Tactics: viewtopic.php?p=5133942#p5133942

In other words, there is an approach that does not require large number of marines.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 1. Jul 22, 11:15

You can't put Terran main guns on a Paranid destroyer, at least not in vanilla.

As far as the rest of the loadout goes, I honestly don't think it matters a lot. Terran shields are objectively better of course. I'd also pick paranid or split engines because manoeuvring behind a ship and staying there will be important while you disable it. Actually disabling it though will mostly be done via your main guns, which you don't get a say in, which is why I don't worry a lot about gear. I'd throw on arg flak and paranid L plasma just in case combat of some sort interrupts your boarding process but otherwise I mostly turn turrets off after the ship is disabled just to avoid accidents.

You don't need many marines, if they are skilled or if you make a lot of enemy crew bail first. Most likely you'll do a bit of both: if they have a lot of marines, or good marines, then take the time to bail them. If it's a civilian ship with a lot of junk crew then swarm it and use it for training. For me, my whole crew are potential marines. I switch them all to service crew when not boarding and switch as many as I need back to marines when I take a ship. If I lose some and I can afford it, I'll pluck some veterans from a defence platform for a few hundred thousand to a few million credits each.
***modified***

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 1. Jul 22, 18:13

If you're planning on disabling the target ship, use just your main guns, generally one will do. You can individually target the various shield and turret emplacements and fire your mains yourself. Outfit your turrets for anti-missle and anti-fighter defense, to ward off the lasertowers and defense drones the target may send at you. I've had a few targets send literally dozens of lasertowers at me, and I've had many with missile turrets try to ruin my day. So don't let them do it to you. :eg: And if you put your turrets to missile and fighter defense, they won't harm your target.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”