Long range scanner range?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

NewtSoup
x4

Long range scanner range?

Post by NewtSoup » Sat, 23. Jul 22, 14:21

So I just discovered that the long range scanner unveils stations.

Previously I have been using "start guidance to position" along the perimiter of a sector and "spiral" inwards in travel mode ( gets rid of all the fog but isn't fast ).

My question is what is the maximum range of the long range scanner and can I be sure of discovering all the stations ( or how best to go about it )?

What I have tried this time was going to the centre of the sector and then firing the LRS. Then travel to the "unknown station"s and fire the LRS when at those too.

I have a lot of fog left but this way I have found 12 installations in sector "Second Contact II Flashpoint"

I don't want to look for a map of the universe though as I am happy finding everything out for myself, but I don't mind asking advice on what I have already found.
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

jlehtone
x4

Re: Long range scanner range?

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 23. Jul 22, 14:25

About 150km, I'd guess.

The location of stations is random and occasionally they can be far off, also above and below eplictic.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Sat, 23. Jul 22, 14:37

jlehtone wrote:
Sat, 23. Jul 22, 14:25
About 150km, I'd guess.

The location of stations is random and occasionally they can be far off, also above and below eplictic.
That's interesting - so each new game will have stations in a different place?
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 23. Jul 22, 18:12

Disclaimer: I've never restarted.

When game starts, galaxy is generated. Generation uses a "seed", most likely to initialize pseudo-random generator. Same seed should always give the same content. The seed is random by default, but can be set in custom start.

Pseudo-random generators produce a serie of "random" numbers that is predictable. Hence state of galaxy is "random".

The government stations (Yard, Wharf, Dock) are in pre-specified sectors, but how predictable is their location? I don't know.
I do know that if they are destroyed, they are most likely rebuilt in different sector.

Factories are probably placed very randomly (with some weight on the type).

In earlier games the NPC stations were placed by designer. Location of each predeterminated. In X3 "GoD" (Global Decision Engine) did "turn off/on" the Factories as "events". Not sure how the Build Mission stations were located.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”