Finally makIng some money

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

NewtSoup
x4

Finally makIng some money

Post by NewtSoup » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 05:22

After a few days of pottering about exploring and not making a great deal of cash I decided to bite the bullet and buy my first size M ship.

I ended up getting a teladi mining vessel from the wharf in 18 Billion because it was the only place that didnt need advanced electronics

I am now happily earning 70k credits every 10 minutes in Holy Vision and selling to the Paranid. Maybe not Holy Vision but a sector next to it,

I am starting to really like this game. ED won me over initially with it;s flashy graphics but ultimately it has no substance.

This game has the depth I was looking for.
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

Rei Ayanami
x4

Re: Finally makIng some money

Post by Rei Ayanami » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 15:27

Yes, mining is a great first way to earn some credits.

Once you have enough credits I'd recommend getting M-sized miners and letting the NPC pilot automatically mine and sell ore/silicone in safe areas, such as Argon Prime,
it's a great way of getting a steady first cash flow until you can afford a station and these main sectors are usually highly patrolled by security forces, giving your miners some protection against Khaak attacks (Khaak don't like miners).

Have fun! :)

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 15:46

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Mon, 25. Jul 22, 15:27
Yes, mining is a great first way to earn some credits.

Once you have enough credits I'd recommend getting M-sized miners and letting the NPC pilot automatically mine and sell ore/silicone in safe areas, such as Argon Prime,
it's a great way of getting a steady first cash flow until you can afford a station and these main sectors are usually highly patrolled by security forces, giving your miners some protection against Khaak attacks (Khaak don't like miners).

Have fun! :)
I did buy a size M ship. It's woefully underfit but it's doing the job. I have a 1 star pilot right now. He's managed to hit every asteroid on the way to a station to sell the silicone I mined.

I need to fit this thing with better thrusters and main engines.

I set the pilot to mine ore but all he did was fly around a bit. He didn't actually mine anything so I guessed he was just going to collect stuff. Do they have to be 3-star to auto-mine?

**Edit - oh my word. this pilot is about to try and dock. I am scared.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 16:49

Don't worry, the AI are so bad at avoiding things that collisions only damage shields now.

Automining should be available from the start IIRC. There are different kinds in the default behaviour list so you have to choose the low skill one (sector automine). It can't pass through any gates to sell until it gains some skills so it needs to be set up somewhere it can mine and sell in close proximity. Multi-part sectors like Grand Exchange are often useful for this.
***modified***

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 17:33

NewtSoup wrote:
Mon, 25. Jul 22, 15:46
I have a 1 star pilot right now.
First, you still have an another ship? You don't have to be in this ship, not even in same sector. The "moves" are not so scary when you don't see them.

Second, every station has Trader that trades (inventory) items. There are seminars for pilots and managers.
"Basic" and "1-star". Every station does not always have both, the availability is clearly random. Price is quite cheap.

You can talk to your pilot(s). If you have suitable seminar, then the option [2] to give seminar should be there.

If skill of pilot is under one star, then they can receive a basic seminar. That adds one star to the skill, so at best to almost two stars.
If skill of pilot is at least one star, but under two, then they can receive a 1-star seminar.
That is, you can get pilot to almost three stars with small investment. (Cheaper than by hiring a wandering skilled person from station.)

There are also 2-star, 3-star and Advanced seminars, but those you get only from Guild missions.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 17:34

LameFox wrote:
Mon, 25. Jul 22, 16:49
Don't worry, the AI are so bad at avoiding things that collisions only damage shields now.

Automining should be available from the start IIRC. There are different kinds in the default behaviour list so you have to choose the low skill one (sector automine). It can't pass through any gates to sell until it gains some skills so it needs to be set up somewhere it can mine and sell in close proximity. Multi-part sectors like Grand Exchange are often useful for this.
Hmm, the ship has a mining drill in the main spot. I keep the turrets turned off. However could that be what's stopping the Auto-miner? The won't fire the main drill only the turrets?

The reason I turn the turrets off is because I have discovered it's more efficient to shoot the highlighted patches on an asteroid as you seem to get more than the 'roids total yield that way. Sellling silcon to HOP in Cardinal's redress is netting me 180k every 10 minutes or so ( mining manually ).

I have currently asked the captain to mine again. The options were just ore or silicon, so silicon.

I think I shall cancel the orders and toggle the turrets back on to see if that makes a difference.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 17:39

jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 25. Jul 22, 17:33
NewtSoup wrote:
Mon, 25. Jul 22, 15:46
I have a 1 star pilot right now.
First, you still have an another ship? You don't have to be in this ship, not even in same sector. The "moves" are not so scary when you don't see them.

Second, every station has Trader that trades (inventory) items. There are seminars for pilots and managers.
"Basic" and "1-star". Every station does not always have both, the availability is clearly random. Price is quite cheap.

You can talk to your pilot(s). If you have suitable seminar, then the option [2] to give seminar should be there.

If skill of pilot is under one star, then they can receive a basic seminar. That adds one star to the skill, so at best to almost two stars.
If skill of pilot is at least one star, but under two, then they can receive a 1-star seminar.
That is, you can get pilot to almost three stars with small investment. (Cheaper than by hiring a wandering skilled person from station.)

There are also 2-star, 3-star and Advanced seminars, but those you get only from Guild missions.
Thank you, Jhletone. Yes I have another ship but I am on board because I was doing the mining myself and learning how to auto-mine at the same time. I have 3 ships now in total. I found out about the training stuff and trained the pilot of my callisto that way. She is now just making her own way - as you say she is ALMOST to 3 stars. About 2.7 stars I think.

The "Captain" of my Miner has just made it to 1 star from 0 stars ( thank you RNG ). I have been doing the mining myself and then letting him drive back and dock and make the trade.

**Edit - rearming the turrets enabled auto mining.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 17:45

There are two mechanics of mining.
When you are in sector, the rocks are drawn, and ships shoot the rocks that drop collectibles.
When you are too far to see, "low attention", there are no rocks drawn and the ships "simulate mining".
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 17:47

Yeah, I thought that might be the case.

As soon as he got to an asteroid and started mining he got scanned by police so he stopped mining. Now he's just flying around doing nothing. I will take over again. The cash is quicker this way but I will eventually just leave him to do his thing.

I am enjoying the mining for the time being.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 18:54

Your ship should be able to fire the mining drill, as long as it's in the active weapon group (the AI don't seem able to change weapon groups). If it needed the turrets it sounds like something was stopping it using that.

Also, be sure to drop some resource probes around if you haven't yet.
***modified***

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 00:39

LameFox wrote:
Mon, 25. Jul 22, 18:54
Your ship should be able to fire the mining drill, as long as it's in the active weapon group (the AI don't seem able to change weapon groups). If it needed the turrets it sounds like something was stopping it using that.

Also, be sure to drop some resource probes around if you haven't yet.
The turrets and the drill were in the main group. Enabling the turret absolutely kicked the ship into action. I have now left it in Cardinal's whatever to earn me some passive income. It's paid itself off and I've upgraded it to the most maneuverable it can be. I realise that's probably not revelevant OOS but it has better travel and straight line oomph so hopefully that will translate into quicker creds.

I am now looking for my first station manager ( a main quest thing I think )

blackphoenixx

Post by blackphoenixx » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 11:23

As long as your M miner has a Mk2 mining drill it doesn't really matter what you put in the turrets. The difference is very minor (something like 2-3% or so).
Though putting flak turrets into an M miner still doesn't let it stand up to Khaak with any reliability so there's little reason not to use mining turrets either.

As for what affects OOS mining speed the main stat is pilot and crew skill, followed by travel speed, followed by cruise speed.
Not sure about maneuverability. I don't know if it makes a difference in mining, but higher turning speed does make a difference when landing and traveling through gates even OOS, though that only really matters for L and XL ships.
Higher cruise and travel speed definitely help though (if you have to choose travel speed is better for mining).

If you're looking to maximize your mining income i'd also suggest taking a look at the Plutus Sentinel (HOP M miner). It has only slightly less cargo space than the MIN Manorina but is much faster.
They only have 1 shield though, so watch out for Khaak if you use them.

For engines TEL travel are the best for pure efficiency, but unless you've got a dedicated patrol force keeping them safe i'd stick with combat engines for the better survivability.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 21:22

Oh good to know, Black.

I am using Manorina as it happens. It was the only one available. I may well try the Plutus.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 21:46

Oh wow my games is getting overrrun with Xenon. I just got promoted by the Teladi and Ianamus Zura trading station is getting battered and has a xenon defence platform next to it. There's also a xenon solar power plant in sector too. HOP lost faulty logic 1 to the Xenon and Hatikvah's Faith I is also being constantly attacked.

I will assume this is by design as Xenon in previous X games were rather a novelty unless you specifically went lookiing for them

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 06:54

NewtSoup wrote:
Tue, 26. Jul 22, 21:46
Oh wow my games is getting overrrun with Xenon. I just got promoted by the Teladi and Ianamus Zura trading station is getting battered and has a xenon defence platform next to it. There's also a xenon solar power plant in sector too. HOP lost faulty logic 1 to the Xenon and Hatikvah's Faith I is also being constantly attacked.

I will assume this is by design as Xenon in previous X games were rather a novelty unless you specifically went lookiing for them
That actually doesn't sound too bad yet. Faulty Logic is already a Xenon system at game start so what you're seeing is Xenon in systems directly connected to Xenon space so far. Ianamus Zura often does struggle a bit without player intervention but those trade stations are weirdly hard for the AI to attack properly OOS so sometimes they delay the Xenon invasion for quite some time.

In my experience it's usually the Split that really need assistance in a default game. Their economy starts out pretty weak.
***modified***

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 13:19

LameFox wrote:
Wed, 27. Jul 22, 06:54

That actually doesn't sound too bad yet. Faulty Logic is already a Xenon system at game start so what you're seeing is Xenon in systems directly connected to Xenon space so far. Ianamus Zura often does struggle a bit without player intervention but those trade stations are weirdly hard for the AI to attack properly OOS so sometimes they delay the Xenon invasion for quite some time.

In my experience it's usually the Split that really need assistance in a default game. Their economy starts out pretty weak.
I have not yet found any split space. Just Teladi, Paranid and Argon. I am progressively exploring though. Taking care to find all stations in each sector as I go. I should set up a few more miners and see if I can find myself a better personal ship than the Discoverer Vanguard.

I am up to 7 million so I think 1 miner and 1 personal ship?

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 13:33

Actually I have another request for advice

I have one miner set up mining silicon and selling to a particular station and I have set the default behaviour for that ship to repeat the orders.

So that's a simple auto miner.

Is there any way to make it sell to the station with the current highest buy offer in a sector?

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 14:19

NewtSoup wrote:
Wed, 27. Jul 22, 13:33
Actually I have another request for advice

I have one miner set up mining silicon and selling to a particular station and I have set the default behaviour for that ship to repeat the orders.

So that's a simple auto miner.

Is there any way to make it sell to the station with the current highest buy offer in a sector?
Yes you can set it up to "local automine" even at zero stars. It can only do one ware and not pass gates, while the 3 and 4 star versions add more options and range.

btw Split space does only appear in the Split Vendetta expansion, I am not sure if you have that or not.
***modified***

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 15:33

I literally just found that. Not everything is easy to find in this game. Thanks for getting back to me.

I have no DLC's yet. I will get them soon I think. The base game has been overwhelming enough so far. But in a week or two I shall get the DLCs.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 23:59

Ngggyayahh

So frustrating.

I have chosen to buy a Cerberus Vanguard Gunship as my personal ship.

The Warf is out of Advanced electronics and Weapon Components.

I keep filling it up but every time I do it's run out again.

I fill it with more than it needs to craft my ship every time.

Every time it's run out.

The stocks are getting low at the only two stations that I can buy from.

So I am going to have to supply those too.

Seems like I am going to have to keep the galactic economy going with a single Hermes.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”