Finally makIng some money

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LameFox
x4

Re: Finally makIng some money

Post by LameFox » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 16:10

Boarding is a bit unintuitive if you've not done it before but broadly you can follow these steps to do it more or less conventionally:

-locate a ship you want, ideally in neutral space so it cannot seek help. nopileos fortune is good for miners.
-fly close to the back of it where turrets can't hit your fighter and kill the engines.
-carefully move around the ship killing all turrets. keep taking out the engines or at least keep them under 30% hull so the ship cannot move (loses less rep this way, each engine, turret, or shield magically alerts the faction when it dies).
-now, scan the ship and see what crew you are dealing with. pay attention to the skill of their marines vs yours. if it's anything close to a fair fight you'll lose a lot of them. sometimes even if not.
-here, you can do different things:
a) if you're prepared to board and eat the losses (maybe you have waves of cheap marines to lose, or maybe yours should handle theirs very easily) then you can damage the hull a bit and launch marines. I always use the hardest settings just to make them launch right away, but usually I have the hull under 50%.
b) if you're not yet willing to risk it, damage the ship (I like to keep it around 30%) and tap the shields now and then while keeping the engines and turrets neutralized. you will see crew leaving the ship in pods now and then (it may take a while). eventually you will be in a better position to board.
-don't kill the ship's main shield generators. if kha'ak or xenon show up you may want to let it regenerate shields while you remove them.
-once pods launch, I like to pause the game, grab the marine-carrying ship, and cancel its orders so it doesn't do anything unusually stupid. this won't cancel the boarding op, just make the ship sit still. this is important if you board a destroyer because they are dumb enough to fly in front of its main guns.
-now whenever you right click the ship and hit 'board' it will re-open the menu and you can see your losses and theirs.
-eventually ship is taken or you lose and send another wave (if you took that approach earlier).
-turn your marines to service crew and promote one to captain, have them fix up the ship and fly it to a shipyard or EQ dock, then put them back in the marine carrier and get it new crew. if any engines are alive, repair them with your suit laser to speed things up, just don't get cooked.
***modified***

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 16:12

That said, I'm not sure Duke's actually have mining ships? Maybe they do now and I missed it, but I've only seen them with combat ships and their new M sized combat/transport ships.
***modified***

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 18:46

I did boarding in X-Rebirth. If it's more or less the same then I can do it.

You might be right about the Duke's not having mining ships. I can't look for the time being as I am looking after a sick partner for the weekend ( poor thing ).

All theory crafting for the moment. I have been trying to decide between the normal and E variant of the L Paranid miner available in Holy Fire
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 19:21

I didn't play much of rebirth so not sure, it might be. If there are no miners whose factions you don't like you could always board an SCA destroyer, there's nearly always one in the nopileos systems but it roams far into the asteroids so you may have to put down some satellites by the gates and follow it. They're a bit tedious to capture due to having mostly marines on board whom you might want to remove prior to sending yours in, but if you sell the equipment and then the hull (seems to go for more this way than selling it all together) I'm sure it would pay for a relatively well equipped L miner.

Personally I only use E variants of Paranid ships... not sure how their stats compare in miners, but the models are much nicer and I might have to look at it occasionally.
***modified***

blackphoenixx

Post by blackphoenixx » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 09:15

NewtSoup wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 18:46

You might be right about the Duke's not having mining ships. I can't look for the time being as I am looking after a sick partner for the weekend ( poor thing ).

All theory crafting for the moment. I have been trying to decide between the normal and E variant of the L Paranid miner available in Holy Fire
The Chthonios Sentinel is better than the E variant, but the difference is pretty small (and the E just looks so much better).

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Sat, 30. Jul 22, 18:38

blackphoenixx wrote:
Sat, 30. Jul 22, 09:15
NewtSoup wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 18:46

The Chthonios Sentinel is better than the E variant, but the difference is pretty small (and the E just looks so much better).
Thank you very much Black, this is exactly the dilemma I had. It may come down to flipping a credit

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Sun, 31. Jul 22, 22:29

I went with the Chthonios -E due to it's better strafe and better looks.

She is Captained by a 2-Star Teladi and crewed by a further 38 Paranid - three of whom are 3 star engineers. The Manorina is in mothballs, the Captain and Crew having been given command of the new vessel.

She is called:

Peppermint Mining Co. - Happy Atheist Barge

She is continuing to mine Silicon in Cardinals Redress.

I like to think the crew works in shifts of 13 Crew, 8 hours at at time.
Rotating as 8 hours work, 8 hours party, 8 hour sleep.

Partying is mandatory.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”