Three Boron XL ships?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Teladi CEO

Three Boron XL ships?

Post by Teladi CEO » Fri, 23. Dec 22, 22:15

I think the boron ships are more than fascinating, but from what I have seen it appears that they will have at least 3 unique x-l ships.
In the trailer at 1:40 we can see two XL ships,

https://youtu.be/pWfQ6fHsMQA

However in the picture on the steam page:
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/stea ... 1671800274

The carrier is very broad, with a wider circle and an almost dull tip. While the ship in the rear during the trailer is similar, I don’t believe it is the same ship as it is very pointed and jagged. It’s also worthy to note that the top of the ship in the trailer is a singular point, while in the gif of the carrier it seems to be more modular.

If I am right it could be a carrier, auxiliary and a battleship!
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Three Boron XL ships?

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 24. Dec 22, 10:01

I think the video shows the carrier and auxiliary. While the steam image shows the carrier.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sat, 24. Dec 22, 14:32

Seems like the carrier has launch tubes. I have some hope then that ships will properly land on it when I am nearby, as that has been a horrible eyesore with Tokyo/Raptor.

I am not convinced the two in the video are XL however. For one thing, though it is hard to judge while the camera is rotating, they appear to be moving pretty swiftly relative to that modified gate.
***modified***

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 25. Dec 22, 07:21

LameFox wrote:
Sat, 24. Dec 22, 14:32
I am not convinced the two in the video are XL however. For one thing, though it is hard to judge while the camera is rotating, they appear to be moving pretty swiftly relative to that modified gate.
XL ships like the Erlking can hit speeds of over 400 m/s in normal flight. It might also be in travel mode where ships like the Erlking can hit over 20 km/sec and anywhere between while accelerating or holding speed. As such speed is not a good indicator of size.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 25. Dec 22, 07:33

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 25. Dec 22, 07:21
XL ships like the Erlking can hit speeds of over 400 m/s in normal flight. It might also be in travel mode where ships like the Erlking can hit over 20 km/sec and anywhere between while accelerating or holding speed. As such speed is not a good indicator of size.
Erlking is a bit of an outlier in balancing though. I guess it's possible they're unique ships or Boron are speed oriented these days but I'm not sure how likely it is. I don't think they are in travel drive however. They don't seem as if they're going quite that fast, or clearly accelerating if they were just entering it.

Bearing in mind that Egosoft seem to have gotten better at showing scale in their capital ships during the course of developing this game and its expansions, I would not be surprised if at least one of these is an L ship, if not both.
***modified***

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Sun, 25. Dec 22, 14:18

Erlking is a bit of an outlier in balancing though. I guess it's possible they're unique ships or Boron are speed oriented these days but I'm not sure how likely it is. I don't think they are in travel drive however. They don't seem as if they're going quite that fast, or clearly accelerating if they were just entering it.

Bearing in mind that Egosoft seem to have gotten better at showing scale in their capital ships during the course of developing this game and its expansions, I would not be surprised if at least one of these is an L ship, if not both.
[/quote]

Looking into the ships now I think that the ship in the front is still XL, but it is strange how fast it is going. It could just be camera angling… the distance I think is between both ships makes the rear ship far smaller, so that could very much be a destroyer or another l class ship.
Thinking of other ships we can guess what we know the boron will be getting. We know they might get their own own scavenger ships to fit into their design, but I don’t think they would get an xl or l version of that.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 25. Dec 22, 14:32

Was there indication they'd get a unique scavenger? I wouldn't have thought so... IIRC part of the description in the Manticore says that the Rakers sent out blueprints to other disconnected systems... to explain why everyone who sells it uses the same ship. Also Boron being Boron it just seems entirely plausible they've not needed one until reconnected to the network.
***modified***

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Sun, 25. Dec 22, 14:54

LameFox wrote:
Sun, 25. Dec 22, 14:32
Was there indication they'd get a unique scavenger? I wouldn't have thought so... IIRC part of the description in the Manticore says that the Rakers sent out blueprints to other disconnected systems... to explain why everyone who sells it uses the same ship. Also Boron being Boron it just seems entirely plausible they've not needed one until reconnected to the network.
I may be wrong but I believe that there was no connection to the boron systems what’s so ever, so much so that Boso said they had no clue where they were, which would be necessary for the alliance to send blueprints.
My other basis is that the boron are getting their own unique dock, which the Terran also got and the Terran have their own unique scavenging bay. They still utilise the commonwealth hauler though.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 25. Dec 22, 16:12

Teladi CEO wrote:
Sun, 25. Dec 22, 14:54
I may be wrong but I believe that there was no connection to the boron systems what’s so ever
ALI was meant to be in contact with sub light autonomous vehicles, like they were with all factions during the jumpgate shutdown. However, the jumpgates just have not reconnected with the Boron home world. Until this DLC...

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 25. Dec 22, 16:41

Yeah the blueprints for the manticore were said to be sent out by drones IIRC. So I assume they're probably going to have the same scavenger ship and the same constructor as everyone else.

Terrans as far as I know have a separate module because they needed one to produce their separate materials. So Boron might get that, or not, depending what kind of economy they use. I assume probably still Commonwealth stuff though unless they've undergone some kind of major transformation. Even VIG and RIP still use Commonwealth materials just fewer of them.
***modified***

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Sun, 25. Dec 22, 19:53

I am more interested in Boron M (S) ships.
It would be nice if they got a good OP balance with Split speed/firepower and Terran shield/turrets. :roll:

A castrated Shark would be as boring as the Zeus E :evil:

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”