Worker Welfare - scripted to fail?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Scoob
x4

Worker Welfare - scripted to fail?

Post by Scoob » Tue, 3. Jan 23, 21:23

Hi,

I'm doing the "Worker Welfare" mission where you have to do that timed race. I've done this mission a number of times, and it's scripted to FAIL...until it doesn't. Here's how it plays out for me, consistently, over several attempts:

- Do first "lap" in a speedy time using a very fast ship. "You're too slow..blah, blah"
- Lap again, utilising Boost to be a lot faster. Nothing.
- Lap yet again using a combination of Travel Mode and boost to be significantly faster. Nothing.
- Lap again, perfecting the technique for a marked decrease in lap time. Nothing.
- Bored now. Potter around the course, simply not bothering. No Travel Drive use, no boosting, not even using the ship's top conventional speed much of the time. MISSION COMPLETE!

I then get the "not as fast as I'd have liked" (this is a modified already fast ship) dialogue.

We're expected to race against the clock, but there's no clock, no lap timer each lap, no encouragement to be a bit faster. Nothing. Just this, as stated.

Am I missing something here? Is it supposed to go differently? Can I finish this race with my BEST time being counted, not my absolute worst? I was more than twice as fast on my best lap than my worst, yet the worst triggers the end of this race.

Not really a fan of racing in games like this, but I can see how it might be fun. However, it really doesn't work how it's currently implemented?

How do others find this, did you get the same results as me? I've played this mission over several play-throughs now. Same result.

Tanall
x4

Re: Worker Welfare - scripted to fail?

Post by Tanall » Fri, 13. Jan 23, 20:26

I've done this mission twice so far. The first time I used a Rapier with Terran combat engines. It took me several laps before getting a time that worked. Second time I used a Pegasus Vanguard with Split Combat-4 engines, flew an awful lap, and got it the first try.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) BuNn3h!!!1!!!111

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 14. Jan 23, 05:20

It is my understanding that you can "fail" the mission. The result of failure is that you lose the used ship by the end of the mission. If you pass the race you get to keep the ship you used.

Starlight_Corporation
x4

Post by Starlight_Corporation » Sun, 15. Jan 23, 23:15

Imperial Good wrote:
Sat, 14. Jan 23, 05:20
It is my understanding that you can "fail" the mission. The result of failure is that you lose the used ship by the end of the mission. If you pass the race you get to keep the ship you used.
Correct. I couldn't do it, tried many times, but I'm just no good at the racing part of X, hence I was glad failing repeatedly didn't end the questline.

bjhughes1963
x4

Post by bjhughes1963 » Tue, 17. Jan 23, 17:36

I just finished the checkpoint lap in a Jaguar with a top speed of 438 m/s, I failed the first time but was told my 2nd lap was adequate. The NPC wants me to find a skilled pilot as I might be a better recruiter than a racer.

Not sure if it is scripted to fail, maybe since they did want me to get a pilot it is scripted in one way or another.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 17. Jan 23, 18:54

On my first attempt I for reason or another had mission guidance off. Went through the loops countless times with no effect whatsoever. I think some laps were good, but have nothing to show for it.

On new attempt I had mission guidance on. One lap, I think, and a sloppy one yet "good enough". Whatever. :gruebel:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 17. Jan 23, 22:13

I pressed the pause button plenty so I could make adjustments without losing time...
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Loltak
x4

Post by Loltak » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 17:54

bjhughes1963 wrote:
Tue, 17. Jan 23, 17:36
I just finished the checkpoint lap in a Jaguar with a top speed of 438 m/s, I failed the first time but was told my 2nd lap was adequate. The NPC wants me to find a skilled pilot as I might be a better recruiter than a racer.

Not sure if it is scripted to fail, maybe since they did want me to get a pilot it is scripted in one way or another.
IRC I too used a jaguar but with travel engine which was a mistake for the specific mission.
It took my a long time / lot of lap to I suppose go under the require timer.
I knew I'll lost the fighter, because if I lose a station in a build mission why not the fighter, so I equipped it with the bare minimum :D . 1 engine and mandatory software hoping to not be attacked in the journey to the station.
X4: Fondations Vanilla all extension.
Casual ineffective player at slow pace

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”