Providing terraforming materials

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

foxxbl
x4

Providing terraforming materials

Post by foxxbl » Sat, 7. Jan 23, 11:48

Hi!
Building 250m housing in Getsu Fune, need obscene amounts of materials (~90k Advanced Electronics, 250k Hull Parts, 25k Claytronics).
Hull Parts are in abundance and I could get them via Repeat Orders buying from my and other Hull Part factories with L frieghters.
Claytronics - probably same, repeat orders from npc factories.
Advanced Electronics - I think I will need to build huge factory for it as there's not enough Adv.El. in the whole universe, I think.

Are there any other good tools in disposal to allocate all resources when facing such big projects?
Setting up warehouses buying materials everywhere and then use L freighters with repeat orders?

Thanks!

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Providing terraforming materials

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 7. Jan 23, 12:51

I find it simpler just build a ton of production & storage at my HQ, along with multiple S/M fabrication bays (for swift terraforming drone production). Means I can take it all with me whenever I move onto the next terraforming job. HQ looks like this in my current game:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9ik4u7yq1yey ... 1.jpg?dl=0.

In order to keep such a monster supplied with basic resources (it has an incredible appetite for such stuff) I build a network of mining stations all over the map, usually located near highways. L miners do the mining (because Kha'ak-proof), while M miners assigned as traders transport minerals & gases between mining stations & HQ. The logistics of this supply network are controlled by differential pricing, with prices increasing by 1cr at each step towards HQ. Trade rules & blacklists for the mining station network are configured to only shift resources between my own stations.

Same stations also supply almost all of the energy cells needed by HQ because the size of the solar array which would otherwise be required would be rather too dominant aesthetically. This is a typical example of the mining stations I'm currently using:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9oo1vv6wcrgz ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Old Drullo321
x4

Post by Old Drullo321 » Sat, 7. Jan 23, 14:57

If you want to complete any terraforming project beyond the easiest (Memory of Profits) you have to build your own stations to provide the neccessary amount of wares. Usually if you start those projects, e.g. in Getsu Fune, you aren't limited by money but (building) time, ship flight time and the shortcomings of the user interface.

Some tips and tricks from my site who completed half of them:

1. Choose a couple of adjacent sectors where you want to focus on building your stations for your terraforming.
* Should be in reach of several terraforming sectors to reduce logistics (4-5* station or HQ traders are able to auto trade, you don't want to manually set up 50+ repeated order traders)
* Same or adjacent sectors should be able to provide raw materials in quantities. Not necessary but a plus: bonus workforce
* Good choices are the sectors in or arrou d Nopileus Fortune / Pious Mist

2a. Because you need alot of modules for critical wares (e.g. advanced electronics), usually in the hundreds, it is advisable to build multiple larger stations for each ware advance. For example, it is better to build 3x self-sufficient (only need raw minerals/gas +/- energy cells) advanced electronics then one 150 modules station
2b. Because building time is the limit, it is beneficial to make use of habitats and additional food/medial supply factories. More production for stations with same amount of total modules (producing modules+habitats) then just producing modules.

3. In the long rong it is beneficial to provide ressources for cost reducing terraforming projects, reducing the need for wares like advanced electronics by a large margin

4. Plan your logistic in advance. Use a raw mineral / gas hub with miners and traders who automatically ship into the target sector instead set up miners for each factory.

5. In my opinion, because of flawed logistic mechanism and a better overview about your assets, and again, building time, my personal suggestion for modules on the HQ: Build alot of docking and storage modules for each type. Only provide energy by solar panels and only if you want, raw ressources (ice/methane) by miners. Build 40-50 S/M construction bays for time critial terraforming projects.

6. Provide ressources for several HQ jumps. It is alot faster to refill your HQ within 0-1 sectors to your producers then to let it get filled in the terraforming sector.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 7. Jan 23, 18:34

Old Drullo321 wrote:
Sat, 7. Jan 23, 14:57
If you want to complete any terraforming project beyond the easiest (Memory of Profits) you have to build your own stations to provide the neccessary amount of wares.
Black Hole Sun did seem quite easy. "Just" 100m of housing. I never produced any materials for it; all from NPC*.

Advanced Electronics was the scarce part in my Galaxy too. Wretched Skies X was the only good source and in the middle of the project it was raided by Xenon (because that did please me at the time).

* I do station build missions for NPC and miraculously many of them had unrequested Adv.El. modules, so yes, do build the production capacity.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

foxxbl
x4

Post by foxxbl » Mon, 9. Jan 23, 10:10

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Sat, 7. Jan 23, 12:51
I find it simpler just build a ton of production & storage at my HQ, along with multiple S/M fabrication bays (for swift terraforming drone production). Means I can take it all with me whenever I move onto the next terraforming job. HQ looks like this in my current game:
This HQ looks awesome ;)
GCU Grey Area wrote:
In order to keep such a monster supplied with basic resources (it has an incredible appetite for such stuff) I build a network of mining stations all over the map, usually located near highways. L miners do the mining (because Kha'ak-proof), while M miners assigned as traders transport minerals & gases between mining stations & HQ. The logistics of this supply network are controlled by differential pricing, with prices increasing by 1cr at each step towards HQ. Trade rules & blacklists for the mining station network are configured to only shift resources between my own stations.

Same stations also supply almost all of the energy cells needed by HQ because the size of the solar array which would otherwise be required would be rather too dominant aesthetically. This is a typical example of the mining stations I'm currently using:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9oo1vv6wcrgz ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Thanks for the advice, this mining station network is a great idea, will definitively look to create something like that!
What is the average sector distance between each mining station?

foxxbl
x4

Post by foxxbl » Mon, 9. Jan 23, 10:17

Old Drullo321 wrote:
Sat, 7. Jan 23, 14:57
If you want to complete any terraforming project beyond the easiest (Memory of Profits) you have to build your own stations to provide the neccessary amount of wares. Usually if you start those projects, e.g. in Getsu Fune, you aren't limited by money but (building) time, ship flight time and the shortcomings of the user interface.

Some tips and tricks from my site who completed half of them:
Thanks - lots of good advice.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 9. Jan 23, 12:28

foxxbl wrote:
Mon, 9. Jan 23, 10:10
This HQ looks awesome ;)
Thanks, had a tremendous amount of fun building it. Building ridiculously huge stations is one of my favourite things to do in X4 & terraforming provides a wonderful excuse to concentrate all of that production capacity into a single vast mobile structure.
What is the average sector distance between each mining station?
Generally around 3 sectors apart, at least in the centre of the map. Typically I'll use sectors on the main ring highway with access into both the central core & outer fringes. For example, often build in Pious Mist II which has a gate to Nopileos Fortune for access north into the central core & is also well placed to mine all of the Paranid sectors. Next station around the ring is in Bright Promise (3 sectors away), with access into Memory of Profit & also covering most of the Split Free Families sectors. Although in this case did need to build an additional mining station (in Ianamus Zura IV) in order to have sufficient range to get at the methane in Tharka's Ravine VIII. Incidentally, each station has been given it's own distinct set of blacklists to prevent miners from different stations extracting resources from the same sectors.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 9. Jan 23, 21:01

foxxbl wrote:
Mon, 9. Jan 23, 10:10
GCU Grey Area wrote:
This HQ looks awesome ;)
Definitely. 8)

Mine looks atrocious next to that: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18TETbT ... sp=sharing
(but has terraformed BHS).
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 9. Jan 23, 23:49

Just wait until you do scale plate, if you do scale plate. If you do the two factory upgrades, you still need like 350,000 advanced electronics.

If you look in my signature block, I have a short blurb about how I completed each terraforming project.

DanKara
x4

Post by DanKara » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 07:12

grapedog wrote:
Mon, 9. Jan 23, 23:49
Just wait until you do scale plate, if you do scale plate. If you do the two factory upgrades, you still need like 350,000 advanced electronics.
The different housing option require different ratio's of HullParts, Claytronics and Advanced Electronics.
I think the data in this Steam-Guide is still valid - pre discount-projects. According to that you need 77,384 AdvEl for single 'Arcology' but only 783 AdvEL for the simple 'Habitation'. Of course you would have to start that project 40 times to get the same value in housing ... still it would be 'only' 31,320 AdvEl. (Second downside: you need a lot more in HullParts and Claytronics, but those are bit more easy to get).

In addition to 'clean/cheap factories' the project 'von-Neumann-drones' (name?) would reduce the number of ressources needed by 20% - imho worth on Atyia and ScalePlateGreen-Terraforming).

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 10. Jan 23, 15:06

DanKara wrote:
Tue, 10. Jan 23, 07:12
grapedog wrote:
Mon, 9. Jan 23, 23:49
The different housing option require different ratio's of HullParts, Claytronics and Advanced Electronics.
I think the data in this Steam-Guide is still valid - pre discount-projects. According to that you need 77,384 AdvEl for single 'Arcology' but only 783 AdvEL for the simple 'Habitation'. Of course you would have to start that project 40 times to get the same value in housing ... still it would be 'only' 31,320 AdvEl. (Second downside: you need a lot more in HullParts and Claytronics, but those are bit more easy to get).

In addition to 'clean/cheap factories' the project 'von-Neumann-drones' (name?) would reduce the number of ressources needed by 20% - imho worth on Atyia and ScalePlateGreen-Terraforming).
I already did em all, not planning on doing most of them again. Even have my own write up in my sig. But scale plate is a rough one regardless due to location in the ass end of the universe and required materials.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”