[4.10 beta] Inconsistent, intermittent catastrophic frame rate drops (AMD <6 GB VRAM) - Fix in B7 HF3.

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

kmunoz
x4

[4.10 beta] Inconsistent, intermittent catastrophic frame rate drops (AMD <6 GB VRAM) - Fix in B7 HF3.

Post by kmunoz » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 04:43

I'm getting inconsistent, intermittent framerate drops in the beta. These drops occur seemingly at random but within certain apparent parameters - docking at a station (usually begins about 2-3 seconds before the actual touchdown), starting a dialogue such as with Boso Ta, etc. In other words, at some kind of "exceptional" even that switches the context of the game.

These frame rate drops have three features:

1) Whatever my frame rate was before, it drops to under 5 FPS. (I usually get around 30FPS. I have a Radeon 580 and a Ryzen 5. 30-40 fps is typical for me, and perfectly playable.)
2) No matter what action I take subsequently (undocking, stopping dialogue, etc.), the framerate stays below 5 FPS.
3) If I save the game in this state, quit X4 and then re-start the save, my frame rate is back to normal. Even in the exact same position and angle.

This drop is not easily reproducible. For example, if I have saved a game just before docking and get the framerate drop, then restart at that save point and dock again, there seems to be only a 1 in 4 chance I'll get the frame rate drop again.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Sat, 11. Sep 21, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added info to title

kmunoz
x4

Re: [4.10 beta] Inconsistent, intermittent catastrophic frame rate drops

Post by kmunoz » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 04:45

Additionally, if I exit back to the main menu (rather than quitting the game), the framerate drop persists at the main menu. In other words, this drop is completely unrecoverable unless I exit out of X4 entirely.

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 04:47

Further: no difference whether fullscreen or borderless windowed.

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 04:54

Problem persists in b1 HF2.

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 04:57

Problem persists across updated drivers.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 10:50

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 6. Dec 18, 18:48
[*]If your report involves performance, graphics/sound issues, hangs or crashes, then add your system specifications in the form of a DxDiag and VulkanInfo report.
Please make sure to provide the requested info.

MFG

Ketraar

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 16:26

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 16. Jun 21, 10:50
Please make sure to provide the requested info.
Thanks for the reminder - here they are:

https://app.box.com/s/fzbne7wkrk84xtsjfwsbjwjp8muizh8e

baerdesklopapies
x4

Post by baerdesklopapies » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 04:54

Got the same problem:

1.The Problem:
Entering the Dcoking zone (the force field) instant drops my Framerate to 2-4 FPS.
Leaving the force field dos not fix the problem.
Framerate drop stays also if you go back to the mainscreen.

2.Things i have tested with beta 4.10 HF2:
-in my 1 Save (Quicksave) i am on a Station and the Framerate drops shortly after the loading screen(first 2-5 seconds everyghing is fine)
-i saved the game on a new slot, and load the save-> while loading the Framerate goes back to 30FPS, after loading the Framrate drops to 2-4FPS.

-Loading a Save in space/Ship (Raptor)
-Linked to the Ruder console of the Raptor, everthing is ok (Boarding Operation 20-35FPS with a lot of things going on)
-Waited a minute->]No Framerate drops
-Leaving the Ruder with STRG+D (not moving around) and wait a few seconds-> No Framerate drops
-Looked around-> Framerate drops to 2-4FPS

-Start a new Game (Split on the "Patriarch" side)
-In Space everthing is ok after loading and flying around-> No Framerate drops (~45FPS)
-flyed to the next Station and tryed to dock->]as soon as i enter the Force Field of the docking Module the Framerate drops to 2-4FPS.

3.Things i have testet with regular 4.0 (switched back):
-Loaded the 1 Save (Quicksave/staying next to NPC Station Manager)->No Framerate drops (44-45FPS).
-Teleported to my ship (S-Hangar Terran)-> Frame drops to 29-30FPS.
-Undocked and flyed in Space (Segaris)->~50FPS looking away from Station/~40FPS looking at Station.
-Docked back at Station->30-33FPS near Station/28-29FPS after Docking.
-Running around on the Station->28-31FPS (in the Manager Room i got 45FPS, looking back to the corridor the Framerate drops to 30FPS)
(i think thats are normal values for my System)

-Loaded the Save with the Raptor->No Frameratedrops (30-37FPS with a lot of things going on)
- Leaving the Ruder->No Frameratedrops
-Manualy going to M Ship Dock and Recall a Dragon from Hangar->No Framerate drops
-Undock and Fly to next Station->No Framerate drops (Framerate ~45FPS no matter how far the Split Station is or wich direction i look)
-Rammed the Station and stuck inside :P-> No Framerate drops
-Docking and running around on Station-> 30-35FPS

4.Additional Information:
-No Mods ever installed
-Playing on Steam

-Link to DxDiag.txt, Vulkaninfo.txt and Savegames->https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Quicksave-> on Station next to Faction Manager
Save_005->Raptor Savegame

Hope this helps you out.
o7
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Sun, 20. Jun 21, 12:11, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Distracting rainbow colours removed from a very useful report.

kmunoz
x4

[4.10 beta 2] Catastrophic frame rate drops continuing

Post by kmunoz » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 22:19

I'm experiencing the same frame rate drops (from 30-40 down to 2-5) in the current beta 2 that I did in the previous beta 1.

I'm not sure if my dxdiag and vulkaninfo data would have changed since the last report, so here is the current info:

https://app.box.com/s/lt3srzq2otteex8ovz83l5m4b48lll14

I'm able to run the beta for about 5-10 minutes before it give me the framerate drop, usually at a transition/event point (changing sectors, docking, NPC comm). Frame rate does not recover when I "exit game" to the main menu (still in the 2-5 range at the menu), but it does recover if I completely exit X4 and start again, reloading a save I made in the middle of the framerate drop.

kmunoz
x4

Re: [4.10 beta 2] Catastrophic frame rate drops continuing

Post by kmunoz » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 22:36

New circumstance: I got hit with the frame rate drop immediately upon reloading a save. The save "loaded into" 3 FPS. Up to that point (about 15 minutes of play from a fresh X4 bootup) I had been getting my usual 30-40.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 22:52

are you in fullscren or borderless or windowed mode? Try fullscreen if in the others.
i5 3570k cpu 16gb DDR3 1600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

baerdesklopapies
x4

Post by baerdesklopapies » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 23:43

Update:

The Issue is still present in 4.10 Beta 2 HF1.

o7

baerdesklopapies
x4

Post by baerdesklopapies » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 23:54

I point this to an earlier Report about this: viewtopic.php?f=192&t=440067&p=5067099#p5067099

@Skeeter
Dosen´t matter if i Play in Fullscreen, Borderless or Windowed Mode. Changing Graphic settings dosen´t change something too.

@kmunoz
Just saying you get low FPS doesn't help.
When you load your Savegame, are you standing on a Station or a Capital ship? Or do you Fly a ship by your self (attached to the Pilot Seat/Console)?

baerdesklopapies
x4

Post by baerdesklopapies » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 08:42

I Checked kmunoz dxdiag and found out we both have AMD components installed.

kmunoz:
Ryzen 5 1400
Radeon RX580

baerdesklopapies
Ryzen 3700x
Radeon RX570

Maybe the issue is related to the old graphics card type or similar

o7

bitvoid
x4

Post by bitvoid » Mon, 28. Jun 21, 09:19

baerdesklopapies wrote:
Mon, 28. Jun 21, 08:42
I Checked kmunoz dxdiag and found out we both have AMD components installed.

kmunoz:
Ryzen 5 1400
Radeon RX580

baerdesklopapies
Ryzen 3700x
Radeon RX570

Maybe the issue is related to the old graphics card type or similar

o7
To add another data point, I too have those intermittent fps drops on AMD hardware (Ryzen 5 5600X, R9 280X 3GB).

In the release version I get around 40-60 fps (less in stations). I've only started playing the beta with B2, which was pretty much unplayable for me. Massive amounts of missing textures and the debuglog was spammed with GPU OOM errors.
Since B2HF2 most of the time it runs pretty well hovering around 50 fps until the moment when it suddenly drops to 2-5 fps. I've had this happen in various different situations and couldn't identify a specific trigger. Some examples include just flying around, fighting near a gate, receiving a comm call, approaching a station and landing on a station.

I've linked a save below. Loading that save on my system there is a roughly 50/50 chance of directly ending up with 5 fps after loading. Other times it ends up with either 10 fps (somewhat sluggish) and 20 fps which is the normal fps that I get on most stations.

I realize that my graphics card is definitely out of date and I'm very eager to upgrade. Sadly with the current crazyness of the GPU market it I won't be able to upgrade for a while longer. Hopefully the devs can identify what causes those extreme fps drops.

DxDiag / Vulkaninfo / Savegame

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”