[TESTREQUEST] Jolt Physics

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Fedora01
x4

Re: [TESTREQUEST] Jolt Physics

Post by Fedora01 » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 20:48

I've had the current ship (Perseus) I have been flying lose all collisions with all other objects on two different occasions. Collisions work as normal when the AI is piloting the ship but when I take control of the ship it stops being able to collide with objects. Loss of collisions also causes the ship to no longer be affected by the speed limit imposed around landing pads. Only seems to affect the ship that originally loses collision and does not carry over if I enter the pilot seat of an entirely different ship. Effect persists through reloads but will fix itself if I load a previous save before the ship lost collisions then load the most recent affected save. I haven't been able to reliably reproduce the effect but both times it started was immediately after manually undocking from a S/M Ship Fab.
In space no-one can hear you scream unless you're transmitting on the right radio frequency.

It was about this time I realized I might have too many tabs open.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 22:38

I have a dock (ARG 6xS 1xM - the basic one you get by default) with several S-Class Courier (Mineral) assigned to it. I frequently observe them taking off and flying down through the dock and off into space as is there's nothing there at all. Can't seem to recreate from a save, just sit around and wait for it to happen. Anyone else noticed this issue with other S-Class ships?

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 22:55

Asked a ship of mine to take me to the ARG Rep on the Wharf in Argon prime, it's gotten a bit stuck, clipping partially into the station.

Here's a link to my save (I've reloaded it, the issue is recreated for me) so perhaps it can be analysed to find out why it's gone so wrong in this instance. Ship has been stuck for several minutes for me, and seems unable to recover now the "I'll just fly through the station" option no longer exists.

Katherine1
x4

Post by Katherine1 » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 23:20

I ran into an issue with a rapier (PIO start) where I can't actually land at a Terran dock. It seems that without a docking computer, collision prevents me from getting low enough to actually dock. Every other indicator is green, but I'm scraping the ground beneath me and still too high.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 23:30

Guys, you've got to check this one out. I noticed, some time ago and several save/reload cycles back, that one of my Courier miners ("Miner S - Courier (Mineral) (BJQ-592)" to be exact) had a bit of ROCK stuck out of the top of it. Basically, it appeared to have clipped into one of the tiny floating mineral-bearing rocks that are collected after an asteroid has been broken up with a Mining Laser. Anyway, I just arrived back on my little station and that ship landed to unload Ore with the Rock STILL sticking out of the top!.

I did a save / reload and the issue persists for me, you can check it out in the above save. I'd suggest that Jolt Physics is actually being quite impressive here, not that the rock clipped into the ship in the first place of course. However, the fact that it's still there, basically part of the ship after multiple sector transitions by me, saves and reloads.

Looks like Jolt would allow us to have literal tipper trucks in space, with rocks staying put when a ship is moving lol.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 03:48

Wish I'd had the sense to start the video rolling...

I'd sent a fleet of 23 destroyers, a mix of Phoenix and Behemoth, to attack a Xenon installation OOS. Midway through, I decided to teleport into one of the destroyers, and immediately all but one of the destroyers simply fused together and accelerated at great speed towards and through the Xenon station (no collision, they simply passed through it.) At this point, I teleported back out. The ships didn't seem to overlap, appearing more like a parody of a Khaak cluster.

I will try to replicate this, and be sure video it next time.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 11:30

Well, nowhere near as dramatic, but the accompanying save (taken moments before teleporting as seen in video) shows what happens when you jump into a concentrated group of destroyers. - Note how their position changes considerably, and how that doesn't seem to take into account anything other than the ships they were originally close to. (Ships again stuck within station they were attacking)

OneDrive link to save: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnoYsE1M89YrgcR2opO ... w?e=5XB87o

OneDrive link to video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnoYsE1M89YrgcR30VY ... Q?e=DuG2sv

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Mr.Elendig
x4

Post by Mr.Elendig » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 12:40

Quest: Worker's welfare

Ship: Pegasus Vanguard

When trying to fly trough the rings/gates on the course, collision is triggered even when aligning up pretty much perfectly in the center, independently of the speed.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 14:01

One last video showing the fusion of ships on teleport. (Far less extreme than the first occasion.)

OneDrive link to video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnoYsE1M89YrgcR4Fzy ... Q?e=Rv5DTl

Hero77
x4

Post by Hero77 » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 15:03

When starting with the Terran Genesis gamestart, its not possible to dock with the Rapier either on the Shipyard or on the Obarth.

Docking can be requested, but even if perfectly aligned, the ship will not dock and instead bounce of the station/ship.
i7-5960X @4Ghz 8 Cores, RTX 2080 Founders Edition, 64GB DDR4 RAM

Katherine1
x4

Post by Katherine1 » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 15:28

Hero77 wrote:
Sat, 21. Jan 23, 15:03
When starting with the Terran Genesis gamestart, its not possible to dock with the Rapier either on the Shipyard or on the Obarth.

Docking can be requested, but even if perfectly aligned, the ship will not dock and instead bounce of the station/ship.
Yeah, my experience was that collision happens above where you need to be to dock, so you just can't get to an appropriate vertical height to trigger docking.

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 19:15

Collision seems to turn off and on seems to be the root of the problem.

My Save

Bugs

1. Ships docking at a Raptor seem to get stuck under the entry way if the approach from below. You can reproduce this by teleporting to one of the player Raptors and ordering all S ships to fly to a position and then once they are there removing all orders. They will all fly back to the Raptor with some ending up waiting for docking under the ship. These will try to approach from below and get stuck on the lip. A way to fix this would be to have ships that have collided reverse further and further back on repeated collisions. Possibly at a random angle instead of the same one every time.

2. I have two old Paranid fleets in split territory. If you order the S ships to fly and then let them come back they will end up getting stuck in the Atlas. It appears that some of the S ships have collision turning on and off which causes this.

3. The eclipse seems to be the most frequent culprit in my game for collision turning off. Half the time I get in one and fly one around they can fly through asteroids, ships, stations etc. Also they can’t seem to pick up cargo, I assume because they can’t actually collide with them.

Improvements

1. A lot less random large bouncing from small collisions.

2. Ships seem to dock a lot faster when things go well.

3. In sector performance is a lot better.

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 19:17

Note I have reproduced these problems on Ubuntu 22 and Windows 11

geldonyetich
x4

Post by geldonyetich » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 19:56

I don't see this the known issues list so I'm submitting it:

I'm noticing the pieces of the Xenon wrecks in Silent Witness XII (possibly all wrecks everywhere?) will push your out if you get near the middle.

Gameplay Impact: These wrecks respond to long range pings, I suspect there's supposed to be something inside for the players to recover. Possibly story content related?

Here's a save file with one such wreck, although I know there's even more hollow looking ones than this in this sector which are also affected.

Xeroeth
x4

Post by Xeroeth » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 20:45

While going EVA I can fly through any weapons attached to my ship.
||MOBO: ASUS X99-A II||CPU:I7-6800k||GPU:EVGA 3080FTW3||RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z 64GB||PSU:EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W P2||
||DISPLAYS:SAMSUNG G9 & IYAMA PROLITE XU2390||LCS:2xHWL BLACK ICE SR2 480 & LAING D5||SYSTEM:WIN 11||

XenoXenoson
x4

Post by XenoXenoson » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 22:36

Jolt Physics seem, by and large, to be working in a way that makes sense, aside from some bugs here and there. I enjoy the bouncing and it feels better than squishing inside of things and getting trapped in their collision box.

However, I have noticed that S Ships and the Spacesuit seem to bounce off excessively when colliding with L ships at relatively low speeds (noticeable when trying to dock with freighters in either), and while in an S ship this isn't a big deal getting flung off into space at 500m/s from a freighter moving at 60m/s, it's especially bad when using your spacesuit.

Spacesuits appear to be flung at disproportionate speeds when colliding with ships moving even at low speeds (As low as 1-3m/s). I tested this by getting close enough to an Okinawa with my Katana to get dragged along, then attempted to dock via spacesuit with my Katana and the Okinawa while the Okinawa was moving (Both the Katana and my Spacesuit were being dragged). At the slightest collision with either, I flew off a great distance upon bumping them, and in a spacesuit it's excessively bothersome considering spacesuits are already unwieldly and getting shot 300m away takes forever to get back.

It's a niche situation, but noticeable when trying to spacesuit dock with L ships. If you don't line it up just right you get swatted away like a gnat covered in silly putty.

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 22:54

Posted a dmp file by accident here is the save

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fitujulm8hr3 ... ml.gz?dl=0

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 06:01

L and XL ships will sometimes destroy asteroids when using travel drive, but either way will drop out of travel speed, and spin. This makes them way worse than S/M ships when player is present (IS). Before, choice was more equal: smaller ships start moving faster, but can bump into asteroids; or larger ships are harder to get going, but asteroids don't slow them down.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 08:16

Coming through a gate I saw two L ships conjoined and tumbling through space... unsure here if they rammed or were close together when I entered the system and fused somehow, but I grabbed a quicksave of it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HZldJU ... share_link
***modified***

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 11:59

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”