[TESTREQUEST] Jolt Physics

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Cratz
x4

Re: [TESTREQUEST] Jolt Physics

Post by Cratz » Fri, 17. Feb 23, 17:41

Hello guys, i'm playing x4 beta 6 493483 and the Large destroyer ships turn very fast and randomly on themself at every collision with the small ships fleet, it's horrible and hard to play,please help me to fix that. :roll:

Cratz
x4

Post by Cratz » Fri, 17. Feb 23, 17:48

alessandrofavero
x4

Post by alessandrofavero » Sat, 18. Feb 23, 10:17

Cratz wrote:
Fri, 17. Feb 23, 17:48
Here the quick video of them: https://www.veed.io/view/961706c0-6d6c- ... anel=share
Dev needs the save... can you load it??
Ci sono 10 tipi di persone, chi capisce il codice binario e chi non lo capisce!!!
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz, 32 Gb RAM, MB ASUS TUF, NVIDIA Originale GeForce RTX 3070TI, Dedicated Memory: 8Gb

kennet0508
x4

Post by kennet0508 » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 11:37

I havent seen any clipping in the latest beta 4 "so far" BUT i think id rather have a little no-clip action if docking exeeds an alotted timeframe. as ships will no longer clip making some docking situations will have ships stuck permanently in the docking procedure until you leave the sector.

Video for context:
- https://youtu.be/FooGVK0OwrA

How about if say:
IF XX Time since dock = critical
Do no-clip

That way if the ship takes more than a minute or 2 to dock, the ship has no-clip tag and it can freely correct itself.
Alternatively, if XX time since dock = critical
Abort, fly away and retry

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 17:46

strask412 wrote:
Sat, 11. Feb 23, 07:50
EMP Bomb flies beneath surface of station. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PnDj0l ... share_link In the save you are floating right outside the station module I was attempting to EMP bomb, you have more bombs so you can try it yourself. The bombs sink through the nearest surface and become inaccessible. The resulting signal leaks are also inaccessible. This is on beta3.
Tested in beta 4; this issue remains. Scanning signal leaks on most station modules still problematic.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 13:00

Quick question ..

Does Jolt use CPU or GPU ?

NVidia Control Panel does not know about it currently.
Screenshot 2023-02-24 115833.png
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 13:12

.. also, if it uses the CPU, and given this game needs more CPU than GPU, would it be beneficial to be able to change it to GPU .. Obviously it needs to be recognised by NVidia first before we can (or maybe it could be an in-game setting?).
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

Seeker of Sohnen.

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 13:23

Jolt is a CPU-only engine.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 13:53

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Fri, 24. Feb 23, 13:12
.. also, if it uses the CPU, and given this game needs more CPU than GPU, would it be beneficial to be able to change it to GPU
As DocAce has very succinctly explained, this isn't an option, but since Jolt makes very good use of the CPU's threading capabilities, it's also not really an issue. In fact the use of Jolt has actually improved the performance of the game somewhat, by spreading the overhead of the physics simulation better and reducing the impact of that element of the overall game simulation on the framerate. Moving that to the GPU wouldn't improve it further, and could actually have a negative effect under some circumstances due to increased GPU load.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 16:01

:thumb_up:

Seeker of Sohnen.

Khugan
x4

Post by Khugan » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 23:41

Playing Beta 6 - 494230
Colossus carrier with attack order on Xenon K. The s-class wing launches from the carrier in chaos, colliding and, indeed clipping into the carrier. They try to reach the K and will fly the carrier (pushing it) sideways all the way there. I teleported into the fighter to be sure, and it was inside the model of the Colossus Carrier.

I've had s class collide with Xenon K, knocking it down, causing it to drift in uncontroled flight. Several instances of capitols drifting pitched up or down with engines off. I assume they had collided with an S class.

It's as if mass is not a thing with this new engine. I am not a fan of Jolt at least not what I have seen so far.

Pejot
x4

Post by Pejot » Sat, 25. Feb 23, 02:05

Beta 4. Tokyo subordinates can get inside Tokyo hull when docking or undocking while the carrier moves. They get stuck inside and can't get out without leaving them in low attention. S ships also get stuck in destroyed xenon wharf.

Don't have a save right now but I'll add it when I see it again.

From observation they get into the ship model via back wall of the room with landing pads.
"Never listen to what people say. Just watch what they do."

Chrisjen Avasarala

Pejot
x4

Post by Pejot » Sat, 25. Feb 23, 10:32

Pejot wrote:
Sat, 25. Feb 23, 02:05
Beta 4. Tokyo subordinates can get inside Tokyo hull when docking or undocking while the carrier moves. They get stuck inside and can't get out without leaving them in low attention. S ships also get stuck in destroyed xenon wharf.

From observation they get into the ship model via back wall of the room with landing pads.
Save file as promised. Lots of S stuck inside Tokyo (Galahad). They got there when trying to undock while the ship started moving.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cclIGr ... share_link

Chrisjen Avasarala

Pejot
x4

Post by Pejot » Sat, 25. Feb 23, 10:35

Pejot wrote:
Sat, 25. Feb 23, 10:32
Pejot wrote:
Sat, 25. Feb 23, 02:05

Save file as promised. Lots of S stuck inside Tokyo (Galahad). They got there when trying to undock while the ship started moving.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cclIGr ... share_link
Additional info. They are able to get outside if they hit the mark of XL shield module. There's no collision for them around shield module.

Chrisjen Avasarala

Reavan07

Post by Reavan07 » Sun, 26. Feb 23, 17:35

Hello,

I running a custom game and couldn't go through the gate from Brennan's Triumph to Neptune. I was able to go through the gate from Neptune to Brannans; just not the other way. Looks like only the XL ships were able to go through it, but I saw dozens of M-hauler types stuck. Game acts like I'm hitting a physical object instead of going through it.

Solutions?
Attachments
20230226093452_1.jpg

alessandrofavero
x4

Post by alessandrofavero » Sun, 26. Feb 23, 21:20

Reavan07 wrote:
Sun, 26. Feb 23, 17:35
Solutions?
if you do not place a save I doubt that the Dev will pass you provide "a solution"
Ci sono 10 tipi di persone, chi capisce il codice binario e chi non lo capisce!!!
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz, 32 Gb RAM, MB ASUS TUF, NVIDIA Originale GeForce RTX 3070TI, Dedicated Memory: 8Gb

Gergin
x4

Post by Gergin » Mon, 27. Feb 23, 08:49

{[Beta 4]
I'm not 100% certain this is a JOLT issue but seems to be the likely culprit.

Shooting Small/Medium enemies with Thermal Disintegrators causes them to effectively be set adrift and they will stop trying to maneuver.
This behavior is not 100% consistent with Medium targets but does occur.

It looks like the root cause is the impact of ANY weapon impact and TD projectiles sticking to targets and applying damage to them constantly and therefore is constantly affecting their movement.
I did some testing with multiple weapons against targets docking/undocking and confirmed that all weapons cause an effect on the target's movement but TDs stop them completely and cause them to rapidly vibrate in place. This specific behavior does not happen with Medium targets.

I have confirmed none of this behavior occurs in V5.x
I have confirmed this behavior persists between save files.
I have only tested this with Small TDs but I doubt the behavior changes with Medium TDs

Pejot
x4

Post by Pejot » Mon, 27. Feb 23, 17:32

Gergin wrote:
Mon, 27. Feb 23, 08:49
{[Beta 4]
I'm not 100% certain this is a JOLT issue but seems to be the likely culprit.

Shooting Small/Medium enemies with Thermal Disintegrators causes them to effectively be set adrift and they will stop trying to maneuver.
This behavior is not 100% consistent with Medium targets but does occur.

It looks like the root cause is the impact of ANY weapon impact and TD projectiles sticking to targets and applying damage to them constantly and therefore is constantly affecting their movement.
I did some testing with multiple weapons against targets docking/undocking and confirmed that all weapons cause an effect on the target's movement but TDs stop them completely and cause them to rapidly vibrate in place. This specific behavior does not happen with Medium targets.

I have confirmed none of this behavior occurs in V5.x
I have confirmed this behavior persists between save files.
I have only tested this with Small TDs but I doubt the behavior changes with Medium TDs

I think it's not only TD thing. TER Bolt turret can push S ships back and force turn M ships if they're close.

Chrisjen Avasarala

Gergin
x4

Post by Gergin » Mon, 27. Feb 23, 18:06

Pejot wrote:
Mon, 27. Feb 23, 17:32
I think it's not only TD thing. TER Bolt turret can push S ships back and force turn M ships if they're close.
It's not, all weapons exhibit the behavior but TDs make it extremely visible due to their sticky behavior and constant damage application.
Split Gatlings can also mess with enemies at close range due to the volume of fire.

talon_65
x4

Post by talon_65 » Wed, 1. Mar 23, 05:26

2 Instances so far where while on EVA placing EMP bombs on an Engine Part module and an Advanced Electronics Module where the EMP went off I could clearly see all 4 nodes on the surface but an invisible barrier prevented me from getting close enough to the module to scan. I recorded video but the file attachment wont let me attach it so I uploaded them here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPzR0EbTGks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuX32n6iA38

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”